Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So... What's up next?  (Read 2014 times)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
Re: So... What's up next?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 10:24:16 am »

Personally, I'm actually not too big a fan of the footprints because they don't quite seem to fit in, given that everything else is just ascii and menus, and now you're supposed to get pictures all of a sudden. I don't mind too much, though.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 11:19:31 pm »

The footprints are still ASCII.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 06:03:01 am »

Well, yeah, okay. Fair enough. It's just that they are different in that they are drawings in-game, if I understand correctly, rather than somewhat arbitrary sense-reference connections that show an environment as a whole.

I realize that there's no reason that what is necessarily should be -- it's just a personal preference/opinion, and as I said before, it's not even that strong a preference for me. But I do see why some people might be opposed to it more strongly as well, even aside from the "it takes time away from Toady's working on other things" argument.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:08:21 am by Whatsifsowhatsit »

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 10:02:03 pm »

Footprints.

Reminds me of "finely-tanned somewhat worn mud-covered water-spattered blood-stained lesser warbling onyx giant miniature small red bluejay large leather quiver somewhat well-encrusted with seventeen firejade sky opals"

It's a fucking quiver.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 11:09:19 pm »

But man, what a quiver.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 11:11:20 pm »

What a pointless string of characters taking up memory locations for no reason and adding zero value to the game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 11:47:20 pm »

What a pointless string of characters taking up memory locations for no reason and adding zero value to the game.
Immersion and tracking.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 04:00:41 am »

The footprint images are not confirmed to be in the game yet, anyway. Toady only said they were playing around with them, and not whether they've been fully implemented.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 09:33:44 am »

I like the footprints, they are another small but awesome detail that no other game ever cares about.  Such things were what brought me to this game in the first place.

Besides, likely all the game actually tracks is what creature it is, asks the creature's raws what footprint raw it uses (unless it's wearing boots, then it asks the item raw) and then pulls the "image" from there if the player chooses to examine it closer.

Those footprints also probably don't exist in fort mode, and are only there for adventure mode where the player can actually interact with them, not to mention where game speed is not as much of an issue currently.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 10:46:15 am »

I like the footprints, they are another small but awesome detail that no other game ever cares about.  Such things were what brought me to this game in the first place.

Besides, likely all the game actually tracks is what creature it is, asks the creature's raws what footprint raw it uses (unless it's wearing boots, then it asks the item raw) and then pulls the "image" from there if the player chooses to examine it closer.

Those footprints also probably don't exist in fort mode, and are only there for adventure mode where the player can actually interact with them, not to mention where game speed is not as much of an issue currently.

Also, footprints are supposedly only visible in a dedicated vision mode, so they can be toggled. (iirc)
Combining that with new stealth and dwarven etc. sites makes for a very epic assassin experience.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 10:56:21 am »

Also, footprints are supposedly only visible in a dedicated vision mode, so they can be toggled. (iirc)
Yeah, the tracks themselves will only be visible when toggled, though that doesn't have anything to do with the footprint images, which would presumably only be seen on demand when examining a given track - they aren't new tiles, if they are in the game.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 12:19:58 pm »

Actually, having a bunch of randomly generated modifiers attached to a noun damages immersion. If it's just called a quiver, I can imagine the quiver however I like. If it's adorned with hanging rings of ash, now I'm playing a spreadsheet.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 06:21:33 pm »

It sounds like you must despair every time you play the game.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 08:09:44 am »

Not really, it's easy to ignore. But an option to turn off the bs would be pretty cool

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:34 am »

Hello mross,

Not really, it's easy to ignore. But an option to turn off the bs would be pretty cool

I find it rather interesting that you complain about "plaintive" being the worst word ever as you find it bland, and at the same time call flavoring added by the game "bs". Of course, decorations can sometimes get silly, but at other times, they can be rather inspiring, both when just being abstract, as well as when they actually depict an item, an animal, or maybe a historic scene. And since the game does not show you an actual picture of the thing, you still have a lot of room for your imagination to detail what that bone decoration on the quiver showing a goblin making a plaintive gesture actually looks like.

Anyhow, I personally enjoy all the little and big details, regardless of whether they have a game play value or not. After all, for me, those very details make each world and each situation and character in each world unique and thereby set DF apart from all other games I know.

Yours,
Deathworks
Pages: 1 [2]