Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So... What's up next?  (Read 2010 times)

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So... What's up next?
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:32:50 pm »

Hey guys! I've been on a DF break for several months now and I've returned this week for some fun with Adventure Mode. I'm seeing people are really excited about the (hopefully) soon-to-be-released version.

So... Can anyone tell me what's it about, really? I know it will allow you to retire a fortress without abandoning it, so you can return to it later (and I find that incredibly awesome). I also know it will have some improvements to combat. What are those improvements? What's the rest of the cool stuff, in general?

Thanks a lot, guys! I used to read Toady's reports on a weekly basis, but I believe that after over 6 months of not reading about the new stuff it's too much to go through in one sitting, or to grasp the most relevant stuff. I'm lazy :V
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: So... What's up next?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »

One Dwarf armies shall become foolish and likely to result in death. Sneaking has become sneakier. AI has become smarter and more realistic, reactionary to environmental changes and phenomena like sudden combat and corpses. TREES! CLIMBING! Velocity vs deceleration.

Dwarf. Fortresses. As well as Goblin Forts and Elf forest lands.

Reilnur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »

Non-lethal combat and more advanced dual-wielding.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:35:28 pm »

The combat will be much, much more realistic. The effects Toady has described, when extrapolated up to larger battles, will be immense.

Trees are multi-tile and can bear fruit, which may be picked in Adventurer mode. IIRC, adv mode also has plant gathering.

Sneaking mechanics are no longer dumb. Vision cones are in for enemies while sneaking.

The world is activated. Your actions have actual effects. Goblins invade and raid cities during gameplay.

Dual-wielding is no longer entirely a dumb thing to do. You can set each individual weapon to attacking or defending per-turn. Combat and move speeds have been split. Multiple weapons attacking per-turn, thus allowing multiple attacks per-turn, will give you penalties, unless each limb can act independently, as in the case of Hydras.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:03:03 am by Putnam »

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:53:14 pm »

ToadyOne has stated that he is no longer going to add any more content, all that is left is finishing what he has started and getting rid of bugs.

Unless he decides to add something else, the next release should come out (at most) the end of June.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:31:12 am »

ToadyOne has stated that he is no longer going to add any more content, all that is left is finishing what he has started and getting rid of bugs.

Unless he decides to add something else, the next release should come out (at most) the end of June.
Technically "finishing what he has started" still involves the addition of more content, since he hasn't fully fleshed out what he planned to add this release. I do agree with your time estimate, though I would be very careful with the words "at most" since it's fully possible he could run into problems or the little bit he wants to add turns out to be a big bit, and we might not get a release until July-August.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 04:48:41 am »

Here, have the changelog.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 06:55:22 am »

Here, have the changelog.
THIS is what I was looking for!

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated!
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:05:31 am »

By the way...

Upcoming, not completed
• Kobold Camps
• NPC fortress reclamation
• More conversation with followers, and more meaningful interaction
Being able to rescue snatched children, take them back to a fort, reclaiming that fort and having them there, along with happy thoughts for the parents, would be sweet!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 11:54:24 pm »

Don't forget racoon prints! http://bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/raccoon.png

Heh. There was such a backlash when Toady reveiled he was working on footprints. I thought it was cool.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 01:05:26 am »

I'm so eager for this new update! I haven't really seen a goblin fortress or a elven retreat besides Jefmajor, i'm so excited!

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 10:24:58 am »

Don't forget racoon prints! http://bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/raccoon.png

Heh. There was such a backlash when Toady reveiled he was working on footprints. I thought it was cool.
I don't know about this. They WILL make the game lag, and don't provide any useful information. Maybe they could be added for megabeasts, etc. But for small creatures? Come on.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 11:00:38 am »

The purpose, I'd guess, is for tracking. So yeah, useful information. And would it make the game lag any ore than, say... broken crossbow bolts littering the ground? At least they'd have the bonus of being slightly more flavorful and (hopefully) less ugly. I can't stand crossbow bolt contamination tiles, I literally go through with DFhack and spotclean every single one just because it's ugly.

Though I am a little worried that, say, megabeast footprints might not accurately reflect the size of the creature. One-tile footprints for a Bronze Colossus? I don't, uh, think so.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 11:08:13 am »

I don't know about this. They WILL make the game lag, and don't provide any useful information. Maybe they could be added for megabeasts, etc. But for small creatures? Come on.

There is so much potential though. Granted, I've never worried about how laggy the game gets and am unlikely to start worrying about that any time soon. I think most of the people who were/are against artwork for footprints mainly had an issue with Toady spending time doing them before other big ticket features.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »

Though I am a little worried that, say, megabeast footprints might not accurately reflect the size of the creature. One-tile footprints for a Bronze Colossus? I don't, uh, think so.
Considering that tiles are a few meters across each?

And multi-tile footprints are definitely not being added before multi-tile creatures.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2