Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90656 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Actually if I recall you can see the first of those one eyed ogre things through an opening in the door, if you're paying attention. I saw the first one and took care not to fall for the trap. I did not however see the second one coming.  :(

It's impossible to see the second one coming. It's behind a wall and a door, with no openings to see it through. Additionally, it doesn't break the wall until you try to open the door, ensuring that you can't roll away. Unless you have absurd health it's impossible not to die the first time. Terrible design, there.

Still, at least the boss was easy.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

It's impossible to see the second one coming. It's behind a wall and a door, with no openings to see it through. Additionally, it doesn't break the wall until you try to open the door, ensuring that you can't roll away. Unless you have absurd health it's impossible not to die the first time. Terrible design, there.
Not true, I didn't fall into that trap. I didn't even get a hint from messages. He jumps out if you go near the door and that includes grabbing the item on the right.  Scared the shit out of me, but no death from that.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More testing needed but... I think the enemies in the giant memories are unextinctable. I've been trying to clear a path to the Giant Lord so I don't have to worry about missed souls, but I've killed the 2 other giants there 17 times now and they're still spawning.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile

Fun fact: Given a single ascetic to start with, the memory with the Giant Lord in can be farmed infinitely. If you ascetic the bonfire just after the King's Gate in the Forest, it resets that memory, too - and there's an ascetic inside the memory. The boss can give upwards of 500k souls if you have as much soul-boosting equipment as possible.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't even need the ascetic, though, because those giants on the way to him won't go extinct apparently.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I added some shader stuff to my game to try and replicate the dark souls 1 look a bit more. Does this interest anyone?

Here's some pics.
Spoiler: Dark Souls 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Modified 2 (click to show/hide)

(yes I know, to much health. It's game+ with champion covenant so I made sure to level way up)

Still tweaking a little. I can share if anyone wants.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:27:14 am by Jelle »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't even need the ascetic, though, because those giants on the way to him won't go extinct apparently.

Not true, I didn't fall into that trap. I didn't even get a hint from messages. He jumps out if you go near the door and that includes grabbing the item on the right.  Scared the shit out of me, but no death from that.

It's basically the same thing as the hellkite drake in DkS1. It's a bullshit trap that kills you instantly with no prior warning unless you're extremely lucky and happen to do the one thing that allows you to avoid it, which the game never indicates in any way. There's a lot of this in the Souls series, as far as I can tell.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

It's basically the same thing as the hellkite drake in DkS1. It's a bullshit trap that kills you instantly with no prior warning unless you're extremely lucky and happen to do the one thing that allows you to avoid it, which the game never indicates in any way. There's a lot of this in the Souls series, as far as I can tell.
I'm not saying the trap isn't dumb, I was just saying that it was wasn't unavoidable. It's silly how they pull the same thing twice in a row, but the second one having no warning that it'll happen.
Also, I don't see a lot of dumb, unavoidable traps in the series. (Disclaimer: I haven't played Demon Souls) Most of the time, the are ways to tell where traps are before you fall into them. I can't recall many traps off the top of my head, at the moment, though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not saying the trap isn't dumb, I was just saying that it was wasn't unavoidable. It's silly how they pull the same thing twice in a row, but the second one having no warning that it'll happen.

I think that's the point of it. It's mind games. You go "oh, there was a big dude that crashed through the wall, there's no way they'd put two in a row, so this next bit is safe".

The traps generally aren't unavoidable but the way to avoid them is often very counter-intuitive and/or requires prior knowledge. It's trial-and-error in a lot of cases. The hellkite drake is a perfect example. You've seen it before and the bridge is strewn with charred corpses, so you know something's up. You walk cautiously onto the bridge and you hear the drake roar, so you start legging it back. And you get burned anyway. Why? Because the drake doesn't roar when he's triggered, he roars a bit later. The trigger is silent and there's a delay before the roar, and the time between the roar and the fire isn't long enough to make it to safety. The way to beat him is to run out onto the bridge and back to safety immediately, without waiting for the roar. No amount of cautiousness and observing your environment and so on will help you there.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile

Or you could sprint along the bridge and into the safespot down the stairs. That works too.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That also requires prior knowledge of the trap, though.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile

Not really. "Things have been on fire recently here! This game has been doing horrible things to me this entire time! Time to sprint like hell to the first safe-looking spot! Oh look, some stairs down! How convenient!"

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and if you listen close enough you can hear its wings far before it roars. a very subtle indication that something very big is coming your way
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did anyone else farm a heck of a lot of souls from that? You could run up, trigger the drake, run back down and gather all the souls from his fire blast. Bonfire down one flight of stairs - rinse and repeat. I've never seen it mentioned before, but my lack of gaming willpower severely ruined my first playthrough until I just quit and started again.

I do prefer the stopping of respawns in DS2, it feels a lot less of a grind fest.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll admit to farming the hellkite drake.

That's the only other real example of a cheap trap I can think of, but it and the hippo behind the wall are pretty egregious for what they are. There is absolutely no way to see the second one coming. It's not a case of reverse-reverse psychology, where you say "Oh, I don't think From would put the same trap twice in a row," because there is absolutely nothing about that wall or in that room to indicate that it is a trap or the least bit suspicious. At least the Hellkite drake does reduced damage the first time it hits you, so no matter what your full health is it should be enough to survive provided you're not wounded.

Haven't played Demon's Souls either, though, so perhaps that game is more full of cheap-shots from a somewhat less experienced From.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53