Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90617 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll admit to farming the hellkite drake.

That's the only other real example of a cheap trap I can think of, but it and the hippo behind the wall are pretty egregious for what they are. There is absolutely no way to see the second one coming. It's not a case of reverse-reverse psychology, where you say "Oh, I don't think From would put the same trap twice in a row," because there is absolutely nothing about that wall or in that room to indicate that it is a trap or the least bit suspicious. At least the Hellkite drake does reduced damage the first time it hits you, so no matter what your full health is it should be enough to survive provided you're not wounded.

Haven't played Demon's Souls either, though, so perhaps that game is more full of cheap-shots from a somewhat less experienced From.

Yeah they're the only two I can think of. I never completed Demon Souls, but it's quite a different game really - a lot less difficult (unless I was insanely lucky) and more of a standard (dark) rpg - so no cheap shots really.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was short of dropping the game in the Gutter, but then I started using torches and it became fun again.
I'm a bit hyped again, now that I have all the greater souls.

I still don't have a good build after reskilling for the 4th time though.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

What kind of build are you going now? How're your stats and weapons 'n stuff?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dexbuild. But instead of getting Adaptability up to 20 at least, I started pumping Dexterity towards 40, which wasn't a great idea.
Wearing some rather light armour for staying below 40% equipment weigth and wielding Blacksteel Katana, Ricards Rapier and a Longbow.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

I don't usually run Dex builds, so I can't help you with the build. How upgraded are your weapons? It seems like the game wants you to have a +5 or higher main weapon for the old ones and +10 for the Castle.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't usually run Dex builds, so I can't help you with the build. How upgraded are your weapons? It seems like the game wants you to have a +5 or higher main weapon for the old ones and +10 for the Castle.

I'd definitely agree with the upgrading weapons/armour, there seems to be a much heavier focus on that in this game than the last and I think that's probably due to the limited number of titanite drops in comparison.

I've found the sort of warrior-cleric build the best so far. Enough faith/attunement for Lightning spear (for range), emit force (for staggering) as well one of the healings, and then put the rest into strength/vitality. While it's not a walking death machine, it does give you enough versatility to get through most of the game without too much problem. I've found some of the utility miracles pretty useful as buffs for particular areas, and having med/great heal basically doubles your healing ability.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+10 on all of them. Normal upgrades that is. Changing them to a different type seems like a downgrade.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I highly recommend against a dex build, they've really butchered dex scaling compared to dark souls (dex attack rating increases dmg by half that wich str attack rating does). Wich is a shame because it keeps a whole lot of weapons from being moderately useful.

My advice: get the required str/dex for a weapon with good base damage, and then pick one of the four magics you like, enhance it with that damage type and supplement your build with spells. Plenty of damage, magic/sun/flame/dark weapon spell will add more damage than physical scaling ever will, and you can get fancy ranged spells where needed.

Faith is a good choice with silly powerful lightning spears but you only get one cast on sun blade, dark has insanely powerful resonant soul spells and dark weapon has 4 charges if I recall. Sorcery isn't to shabby either.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Most magic requires investment in only 2-3 stats to be powerful, while getting better at melee requires investment in pretty much every stat.

You don't need to stay under 40% to keep light roll anymore, though, so feel free to wear some heavier armor. There's not much difference all the way up to 70%
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've noticed a fairly significant decrease in speed and distance your rolls cover when you increase your equipment weight. I can only assume there is also a corresponding decrease in invincibility frames, but I'd have to see a video analysis to be sure. I've been staying below 50% to be on the safe side. 60% seems to be where things get noticeably slower.
The animation really doesn't matter other than as an indicator of the effects of equip weight. It's more of a linear progression rather than just having specific breakpoints. I remember in the beta my rolls had the fat roll animation, but still had the speed of a fast roll.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dex build is fine for NG, although it starts falling off in NG+, at which point I'm going to make a hybrid. What it lacks in damage, it makes up with various status effects and higher i-frames I believe.

Lower equipment weigth gives me more roll distance and higher stamina regeneration.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

You can also skip the magic and use resins. When I feel my damage is lacking on my non-caster STR build, I can pop a charcoal pine resin and keep on trucking.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Is Dark Souls 2 the worst video game ever made?

I can't tell if this is satire or real. I suppose it's real because it's on Forbes. After reading the whole thing, I think this is what happens to an intellectual when they immerse themselves in something for so long they go a bit insane. Either that or it's what you get when you pay a guy Forbes-level monies to write about playing vidya games. It's some weird mix of game design, player affect and modern culture criticisms, that all seem encompassed in this game. There's familiar gripes anyone who has played Dark Souls 2 will recognize, before the writer logically goes careening off a cliff, screaming "I did this to me, I did this to me!!!!!! HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 04:08:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can also skip the magic and use resins. When I feel my damage is lacking on my non-caster STR build, I can pop a charcoal pine resin and keep on trucking.
Not sure if I should even bother with those. They only add 50 of the element, which is quite a bit less to what it used to be.
You also only get the most out of weapons buffs, if the weapon already has the bonus due to the 30% increase.

I might try out the bleeding serium with ricards rapier and the blacksteel katana, but I don't know if I can get a meaningful amount of bleed buildup together.

Not sure what the high SL strategy is supposed to be. Enchant high damage, low scaling weapons and then put another weapon buff on them?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It’s the worst and least ethical form of play, taking the naturally constrained single encounters of Chess or Go into the heart of an infinity spiral rotating out from the center of a box of microprocessors built out of a grand network of exploitive labor practices around the world, creating a transfixing hallucination sublimely disassociated from the networks of labor required to produce it. The friendships formed in message boards and YouTube comment threads offset by the number of lives pinned in place by the economic conditions necessary for the creation of such hallucinatory machinery, offering the great thrill of achievement for having done nothing but press a few half-inch buttons, hypnotized by the unseen patterns passing through the screen, scrutable only to those others who’d undergone the same rite of initiation and spoke the secret lexicon.

What the actual fuck am I reading.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53