Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)  (Read 33353 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 02:59:22 pm »

at minimum, I do 2x2 with a bed. At most for non-nobles, 3x2 with smoothed, engraved, platinum statue, bed, table, chair, coffer, and door. Only people who make fey mood admantine axes or platinum warhammers and awesome badass dwarves

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »

In the bygone era of the vampire plague, I wanted a room layout where neighbours can look out for each other. Each room is a 6x6 or 8x8 square with a bed in each corner, and four chairs (with out facing table) in the centre. Each bed gets designated as its own 3x3 (or 4x4) room. Dwarves will return to their rooms to eat, and keep an eye on their sleeping neighbours. I like the limited friendships that form, because no dwarf deserves to be alone.
a few dead loners from a vampire wont kill a fortress, but 1 dead friend in a lovey dovey fortress of friendships can.

For ppl assigning individual bedrooms try screening migrants through a room with a walled-off but visible zombie to weed out the vampires. Regular dwarves run from undead but vampires will not.
Well, two problems with that. It wasn't just a few dead loners from a vampire, it was scores of dead legendaries falling to the insatiable hunger of vampires arriving by the handful. Another nice thing about this setup is that each dwarf ends up with about four friends. And that's the entire circle of friends - the most that can go down from a dead friend is four.

Remsly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »

Hahaha I love the distinction of DF players. Some are totally aimed at everything being practicably, while others love having nice aesthetics!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 08:04:21 am »

Well, two problems with that. It wasn't just a few dead loners from a vampire, it was scores of dead legendaries falling to the insatiable hunger of vampires arriving by the handful. Another nice thing about this setup is that each dwarf ends up with about four friends. And that's the entire circle of friends - the most that can go down from a dead friend is four.
you just have really rotten luck, only 1 out of my 150ish dwarves in my last fort (my armorsmith) is really "essential" to running my fort, i couldnt give a dam if any one else died.

And vampires are historical figures, when i look in legends at the dwarven civs before starting a fort the only vampires i really see are sometimes the rulers "cursed to prowl the night in search of blood because they angered XXX god" vampires cannot spread themselves via blood contamination in world gen.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »

you just have really rotten luck, only 1 out of my 150ish dwarves in my last fort (my armorsmith) is really "essential" to running my fort, i couldnt give a dam if any one else died.

And vampires are historical figures, when i look in legends at the dwarven civs before starting a fort the only vampires i really see are sometimes the rulers "cursed to prowl the night in search of blood because they angered XXX god" vampires cannot spread themselves via blood contamination in world gen.
Yeah, vampires got fixed. When they were first added, they showed up in almost every migration wave.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 07:30:36 pm »

Not yet complete, but the general layout is there:

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 07:59:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What are the big corner rooms for? I see one has a table and chair...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 08:10:42 pm »

What are the big corner rooms for? I see one has a table and chair...

I'm using them for temp noble rooms. I'll probably make a dedicated one later on and use those as dorms for migrant waves.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 02:28:16 am »

doesnt look very efficient since dwarves need to crawl past each other in the 1 tile wide passages. And the extra walking distance increased for civillian dwarves due to the noble rooms' proximity to the center could use some fixing. you generally want to place more dwarves closer to the center, and less dwarves at the sides (which include nobles due to their large rooms).

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 06:41:11 am »

to hell with efficiency. we're here for the LOVE of architecture!

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 02:52:35 pm »

to hell with efficiency. we're here for the LOVE of architecture!

Damn straight.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 04:02:36 pm »

Housing and dining area for eight dozen dwarfs. This is usually on z-9, to avoid loud noises from the surface. My fortress layout above and below this point make use of the nine 2x2 stairways and four single-stairways. This picture comes from a fortress in which the walls are made of marble and tetrahedrite, but even if the walls are nothing but common stone the dining area ends up being legendary by the time you add all eight dozen chairs and tables, purely from the size. If you smooth and engrave everything, and especially if you go back and replace all doors and furnishings with high-quality specimens, the bedrooms end up being fine quality, despite being only three tiles.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 04:17:59 pm »

Centigrade,

I love it!

I may have to revise my plans for the next fortress.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 05:33:53 pm »

What I might end up doing sooner or later, depending on what I do with my magma access, and if a magma-cart dumper design works as well as advertised, I might try to build an Obsidian Arms Noble Apartment complex. with a nearby one for the commoners.

Alternatively, I might instead just use construction obsidian blocks to setup a basic complex. As you'd imagine, the lobby can double as a dining hall/restaurant, and all the rooms above will have outdoor balconies looking out to the project, volcano, or overall fortress-scape. A good spot would be atop the mountain, where it's easiest to manipulate the magma.

That aside, a common layout I use is for commoners, a 2x2 layout for truly common (mainly peasants), 3x3 for useful dwarves (anywhere above proficient-level), and 7x7x2+ for nobility. Of course, those are the basic/square measurements. Half the time, to maximize on appreciation profit (especially for nobility), I use Reveal to scan the underground for the best materials and gems to engrave for them.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 02:20:43 am »

I used to be more creative, but lately for my normal dwarves, I've just got this queued up to a macro, which auto-repeats 5-times down. I like it because I can just Manager up x28 Doors, Cabinets, Chests, and Beds.

(The red is a central UpDown stair column)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:22:17 am by Id Utalrisen »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7