Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)  (Read 33345 times)

Remsly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »

This is the central dining room and bedroom complex of Delethurvad (Polishseals)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only entrances to the bedrooms go through statue gardens, in an effort to force all my dwarves to get happy from glimpses of extraordinary works of metalcrafting.

All dwarves get a 3x3 room with 1 bed (duh) 2 iron cabinets of varying quality and 1 container of varying quality. All the bedroom have engraved walls, with the engravings usually of Superior quality and above, mostly exceptional and masterwork.

As a result, almost all the dwarves in my fortress are wild-drinking, ecstatic party animals, who make out almost constantly and pop out babies like there's no tomorrow.

On a side note, the nobles get a 5x5 room, with attached offices and dining rooms (if required)

Damn I love this design really, I saw the rest of your fortress I thought on another thread also. I'm jealous at it. Plus I suck at making circles with blocks....
FUrthermore I'm now having all these nasty decisions of wasn't it maybe better if I placed that stuff there and this there, so that those lazy dwarves get there in time, etc.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 03:01:16 pm »

WWWW
WBFBW
WBFBW
WBFBW
WBFBW

W=wall
B=bed
F=floor

That houses about everyone.
Is only like 8 beds.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 03:59:39 pm »

I give my dwarves a 3x3 square room with 2wide access hallways which connect to a grid of 3x3 hallways which expand from my central staircase. Each 2x2 hallway is 21 tiles long, which is room for 5 rooms on each side. Its easily expandable, and I like to treat my dwarves at least decently. The above set up has 80 rooms.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »

Level one
Level two
Level three
One I use.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 10:20:50 pm »

I give every dwarf 3x3 rooms with doors and smoothed walls and floor and add to them as I go along cabinet, chest and more recently statue, it's a work in progress

I also make about 10 5x5 rooms with engraved walls and I throw tantruming dwarves in those so they get more happy thoughts

with proper rooms, enough food and drink and enough masterful or artifact things spread throughout the fortress, tantrum spirals are rare

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:57 pm »

I like bedpods. The ones in this fort are shrunk since i've started just assigning everyone armor when they show up, but is expandable to 2x2 and 1x4 rooms.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 02:46:48 am »

This is the central dining room and bedroom complex of Delethurvad (Polishseals)

The only entrances to the bedrooms go through statue gardens, in an effort to force all my dwarves to get happy from glimpses of extraordinary works of metalcrafting.

All dwarves get a 3x3 room with 1 bed (duh) 2 iron cabinets of varying quality and 1 container of varying quality. All the bedroom have engraved walls, with the engravings usually of Superior quality and above, mostly exceptional and masterwork.

As a result, almost all the dwarves in my fortress are wild-drinking, ecstatic party animals, who make out almost constantly and pop out babies like there's no tomorrow.

On a side note, the nobles get a 5x5 room, with attached offices and dining rooms (if required)

Damn I love this design really, I saw the rest of your fortress I thought on another thread also. I'm jealous at it. Plus I suck at making circles with blocks....
FUrthermore I'm now having all these nasty decisions of wasn't it maybe better if I placed that stuff there and this there, so that those lazy dwarves get there in time, etc.

I know which thread you're referring to. Polishseals's gone through quite the makeover since then. I'll probably post pictures again on that thread later, with the probable addition of a DFMA link.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 02:46:48 am »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 11:30:31 am »

Some time ago, I made the decision to give my dwarves proper rooms. The way I set it up is a 3-wide corridor leading to 2-3 rooms on each side, and then branching north/south. I have been setting up bedrooms on multiple floors, and settling dwarves closer to their work.

My common room is 3x3 wide, with a bedroom, cabinet and chest. I always smooth the walls, and sometimes engrave them.

Military dwarves (who have their own rooms) also get an armor and a military rack. I'm pretty certain it doesn't do anyting, but I like it.

Deeper level workers, that are quite far from common rooms, also get their own small dining rooms.

Nobles get very large rooms, 5x5 or 6x6 with attached support rooms.

Of note: Placing a statue prevents you from engraving the floor beneath, or the wall behind it if in a corner.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:30:47 am »

very efficient walking distance and simple to make, needs a larger number of Z-levels though.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 12:35:47 pm »

In the bygone era of the vampire plague, I wanted a room layout where neighbours can look out for each other. Each room is a 6x6 or 8x8 square with a bed in each corner, and four chairs (with out facing table) in the centre. Each bed gets designated as its own 3x3 (or 4x4) room. Dwarves will return to their rooms to eat, and keep an eye on their sleeping neighbours. I like the limited friendships that form, because no dwarf deserves to be alone.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 12:44:15 pm »

In the bygone era of the vampire plague, I wanted a room layout where neighbours can look out for each other. Each room is a 6x6 or 8x8 square with a bed in each corner, and four chairs (with out facing table) in the centre. Each bed gets designated as its own 3x3 (or 4x4) room. Dwarves will return to their rooms to eat, and keep an eye on their sleeping neighbours. I like the limited friendships that form, because no dwarf deserves to be alone.
a few dead loners from a vampire wont kill a fortress, but 1 dead friend in a lovey dovey fortress of friendships can.

For ppl assigning individual bedrooms try screening migrants through a room with a walled-off but visible zombie to weed out the vampires. Regular dwarves run from undead but vampires will not.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 01:13:35 pm »

You can also check their skills. If you use Dwarf Therapist, vampires stick out like a sore thumb because they have 'dabbling' or 'novice' in, like, every skill.

Also if you (v)iew their (z)tats you can see that they've been a part of more than three or four groups - my last vampire was a member of almost thirty groups over the course of their live. Until they came to my fort, got convicted of murder, and pummeled until they had compount fractures to their floating ribs. He hasn't left the hospital since and it's been like four years.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 01:32:52 pm »

I like Catsups design and have used that one on a few forts.

On vampires: If you have enough beds, try assigning a new bed. The ONLY dwarf without a claimed bedroom was my vamp and a few kids.

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »

These 2X2 rooms(1 tile being the door) seem to be working out nicely.

They're also incredibly easy to designate for digging, each module being 11X11
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:53:07 pm by StruckDown »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7