Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: You are a Satellite  (Read 16358 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Satellite
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 07:07:24 pm »

We could say something along the lines of:

"This is ARMEDSCOUT_002, at Quadrant 1, Sector Tau, System Alpha-Quasar-Apple, Non-Gas giant #2. Moderate memory corruption suffered. Please advise."

In the hopes that there is something sentient which can respond to us on the other end of the connection.

Good call. Is it regular protocol to search for things like that, so far as we know?
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 07:11:47 pm »

>NetQuery.Passcode
Passcode details:
Length: 22 characters.
Encryption: Negative. (Encryption required to access data, but not to connect to network)
Last five failed passcode entries by unknown entities:
admin
root
swordfish
password123
[blank entry]

>LocalSearch.Passcode
Running................ok
Results: 16 fragmented files on secondary. 16 files on tertiary. Running results through defragmentation..............ok
Partial code reacquired: Quasaric
Partial code reaquired: Hunter
Remaining files still fragmented.
>exit
Connection stopped.
>Broadcast "This is ARMEDSCOUT_002, at Quadrant 1, Sector Tau, System Alpha-Quasar-Apple, Non-Gas giant #2. Moderate memory corruption suffered. Please advise.", FTL, Virixian channels
.....Broadcast success.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2013, 07:18:24 pm »

Do we need more minerals to set manufacturing back up?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:25 pm »

No, it has plenty of power. But the craft by itself can't sustain the power needed to transmute the materials for the heavily damaged parts of of the primary drive. More mundane, less energy-hungry uses are aplenty.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2013, 07:26:05 pm »

hmm... In that case...

Query: Would it be possible to construct a repair system on the far side of a rotation-locked moon with which to repair what we can't repair through onboard systems?
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2013, 07:28:01 pm »

It would be easier with plans, and there are probably similar blueprints in the database. It would also take quite a bit to do without knowing the materials possible from the planet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2013, 07:29:37 pm »

Search for those blueprints.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2013, 07:30:01 pm »

Search for those blueprints.
Network connection needs the passcode.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2013, 07:30:28 pm »

hmm... Is there a lockout procedure?

That is...

Query: Is there any built-in countermeasure against failed attempts to access the system?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2013, 07:34:45 pm »

>NetQuery.attempts
No such definition file.
>NetQuery.lost
Reccomended action if full code missing: Decrypt file 'Memoryerrorcode.404'.
Alternate action: Broadcast on the proper channels.
Alternate action: Return to Virix for memory repair.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:49 pm »

Query: Search databse for referenced file. If available, search for decryption key and decrypt. If either the file itself or the key is unrecoverable, using fleet directives for password length and such, attempt to brute force access to our own restricted systems.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2013, 07:43:40 pm »

> Begin cryptographic routines with priority upon true vocabulary (i.e. non-gibberish) relating to aggression, astronomy, or autocracy.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2013, 07:49:08 pm »

> Begin cryptographic routines with priority upon true vocabulary (i.e. non-gibberish) relating to aggression, astronomy, or autocracy.

So basically exactly what I said.

That's kinda the first thing you try when you brute-force a password. Run the damn thing through every possible permutation of words you can.

EDIT: Though admittedly your directive made it possible take a bit less time due to your narrowing of search routines, but if they throw in even a single word that doesn't fit with those bounds, then it'll fail, which means it'd take longer.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2013, 07:49:26 pm »

>Query "Memoryerrorcode.404"
File located: Secondary drive.
>Decrypt.Localfile "Memoryerrorcode.404"
Key match required: IFuDI6ztDeARskwkZt2h
Searching keyfiles.............success!
File decrypted, output henceforth:
QuasaricVirixianHunter

Network Connection reacquired.
Craft signature confirmed, full access granted.
Database code altered to fit current cypher.
Last five events in reverse order:
Scout_001 lost connection.
Scout_001 connected.
Scout_696 has reestablished contact.
Scout_696 has gone missing.
Scout_149 Destroyed.

>_
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2013, 07:51:46 pm »

oh, good. Nice. No need to dick around with bruteforce.

Network.Query: what is the current overall status of the Virixian government?

Query: What were the datestamps of the events compared to estimated present day?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12