Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?  (Read 9968 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Segregate Suggestion games?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 10:04:58 pm »

If people feel this is a problem, why not just mark games with suggestion elements with a {SG} in the title or something?
Then we just end up with the same problem, just with the suggestion games marked with {SG}. The problem isn't that we can't tell the suggestion games from anything else. The problem is that there are way too many suggestion games period.

Which is exactly the problem we're having except it's in forum games and roleplaying.

Not really, it's more that there's people who don't like seeing a bunch of suggestion games vs other types of games entirely as opposed to people on MSPA who would like to see well developed suggestion games separated from not as well developed suggestion games.

Still applies to us. The main problem is that our not well-developed suggestion games tend to be very easy to mass produce, meaning they clog up the board easily until they die.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 10:08:21 pm »

Then we just end up with the same problem, just with the suggestion games marked with {SG}. The problem isn't that we can't tell the suggestion games from anything else. The problem is that there are way too many suggestion games period.
Why is this a problem, and what do you want fixed?
Before we can really come up with solutions, we need to fully understand the perceived problem.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:44 pm »

If people feel this is a problem, why not just mark games with suggestion elements with a {SG} in the title or something?
My problem is that all of the many, short lived suggestion games are pushing down the non-suggestion game topics. Meaning that with all of the suggestion games popping up, you'll have to bump your topic multiple times for other people to see it.

Suggestion Games in themselves are easily definable. They're a game focused around the progression of a story or plot which takes in account community input. The author writes responses to player input, and there usually isn't a limited amount of players participating. By this I mean games such as You Are X would fall under this definition, but god games and nation building games wouldn't fall under it.

Forum Games and Roleplaying should be for games that have a multiplayer element to them. Examples being but not limited to tabletop RPG's, god games, nation games, freeform roleplaying, etc.

Really, I'm just really sick of seeing a bunch of generic and poorly made suggestion games pushing down actually good topics that don't necessarily have a bunch of posts in their thread all of the time.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2013, 10:14:17 pm »

Why is this a problem, and what do you want fixed?
Before we can really come up with solutions, we need to fully understand the perceived problem.
As BD said elegantly above me, we've got so many poorly made, uninteresting suggestion games (there are good ones, but they tend to settle into their own groove like the other forum games) that the rest, less active games are drowned out by the noise.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2013, 10:16:47 pm »

According to the front page screenshot, we only have 2 front page suggestion games like that. This suggests we should not take a drastic action like splitting the forums.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2013, 10:19:47 pm »

I count three.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2013, 10:21:31 pm »

Depends on the day really, sometimes you only see the long-running suggestion games up, and others you'll see a myriad of such thrilling games such as YOU ARE A ROCK or YOU ARE A POORLY WRITTEN GAME. All I'm saying is, as someone who isn't interested in suggestion games it sure gets annoying to have to shift through them to find what I want. This wouldn't really split the communities that much either. I like RTD's, I also like other forum games. I go to both of those parts of the forums which are only one click away. Hell, there's plenty of people who go on both FG:RP and the RTD sub-forum. This will just reduce clutter, and make it so the people who don't want to see suggestion games don't have to see them.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2013, 10:22:23 pm »

The Cyberwarfare thing is a Suggestion RPG hybrid, and from what I've seen it's best defined as an RPG.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2013, 10:25:54 pm »

The Cyberwarfare thing is a Suggestion RPG hybrid, and from what I've seen it's best defined as an RPG.
Then pick which forum it'd best go onto. If the author believes that his hybrid game fits more on one board than the other, then he can choose which one he wants it on.

I don't really see what's so bad about having an alternative subforum, there are literally no negatives to this I can think of. It's a win-win for both sides.
Welcome to Reality.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2013, 10:28:30 pm »

The negative is that suggestion games require a comparably large fanbase, and they would not work as well if forumites had to go looking for them.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 10:29:40 pm »

A hint: they're in the top box in large, friendly yellow/black letters saying "SUGGESTION GAMES".

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 10:30:48 pm »

A hint: they're in the top box in large, friendly yellow/black letters saying "SUGGESTION GAMES".

Or blue. Still I don't think we should resort to new subforums yet but... That might be the easiest way.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

Yes, but would you be as inclined to participate in a game if you had to say, "I think I'd like to play in another suggestion game!" as you would if you only had to say, "Ooh, look, a suggestion game! Let's play it!"

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

The negative is that suggestion games require a comparably large fanbase, and they would not work as well if forumites had to go looking for them.
You wouldn't have to go looking for them. Our forum isn't that big, people who already knew about them would be able to find them easily, and new people wouldn't have any problems finding it either. Hell, it'd make them easier to find than they already are, all of them being in a single place and whatnot.

Our community isn't tiny, nor is it huge. Therefore minor splits like this won't affect anyone, since everyone in the lower forums pretty much goes on the same parts of the forums anyways. There's only a minor userbase difference for people who go to General Discussion, and people who go to FG:RP. Now if we were splitting up roleplaying topics, god games, nation building games, and suggestion games then that'd be too much of a split. But seeing as how we have a large userbase for suggestion games nowadays, it'd be best to move them in a similar fashion to the RTD players.
Welcome to Reality.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 10:36:50 pm »

Yes, but would you be as inclined to participate in a game if you had to say, "I think I'd like to play in another suggestion game!" as you would if you only had to say, "Ooh, look, a suggestion game! Let's play it!"

One does not really play a suggestion game so much as active lurk I've found. Still you do raise a legitimate issue.

However I think people who want suggestion games would go to the suggestion game forum.

Still we should probably think this out a bit more before we start doing anything.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11