Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What megaproject should Machinespires II have?

Hive World goal (same as the original Machinespires)
- 3 (60%)
Giant statue to Armok
- 0 (0%)
Mine out the entire embark site down to the Magma Sea
- 0 (0%)
Colonize the Circus
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: April 08, 2013, 07:42:10 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Machinespires, a sane and rational Fortress and aspiring Hive World  (Read 5287 times)

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Machinespires, a sane and rational Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 05:20:09 pm »

Journal of Cerol Landsabres
Timber, 1st year of our outpost
Winter is here, along with a caravan that we will trade some wood to in exchange for more picks. A roof over the depot is our first priority, followed by a roof-and-second-floor for the second floor. Slate, as previously recorded, is now the material of preference. Meanwhile a giant toad has been sounded by our miners in the deep caverns, a family of hippopotami (hippopotamuses?) have settled in where formerly the carp swam, and an incongruous giant hamster and a family of snail-men have likewise passed through.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Machinespires, a sane and rational Fortress and aspiring Hive World
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 04:44:35 am »

nice place you've got going. if by any chance you actually begin dwarfing people, i'd like to join the military. any weapon will do.
Because I just realized you're trying to do this Wh40k style, I'd think its proper if I act in character appropriate for the Wh40k universe.

Name: Jon-L
Likes: THE GOD EMPRAH, WORK AND SLAUGHTER SALVATION OF THE HOLY ONE'S ENEMIES.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 06:56:38 am »

nice place you've got going. if by any chance you actually begin dwarfing people, i'd like to join the military. any weapon will do.
Because I just realized you're trying to do this Wh40k style, I'd think its proper if I act in character appropriate for the Wh40k universe.

Name: Jon-L
Likes: THE GOD EMPRAH, WORK AND SLAUGHTER SALVATION OF THE HOLY ONE'S ENEMIES.
I'm headed out of town today, but I'll be taking my laptop with me so I'll try and get in some play time over the weekend.

As for the character I've named after you (already, though I'll rename her to Jon-L instead of jonanlsh), she's more likely to become the local Head of the Munitorium than an Adeptus, but I'll see if she's got the potential to be a Wrestler or something similar.

On a different topic, switching to the more usual style of irregular entries whenever something interesting happens.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 07:20:20 am »

That's nice, and even though im a guy in real life, it'd be nice to dwarf-play as a girl

ADEPTUS SORORITAS!

CLEANSE ALL THE GOBLINS WITH HOLY FLAME!

IN THE EMPRAH'S NAME!

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 07:41:04 am »

Journal of Cerol Landsabres
Opal 22, Outpost Year 1
We have struck warm stone, and are now searching for a level above magma for the creation of fuel-unnecessary industry items. Excavation of rooms necessary for the placement of said manufactories will begin once we have excavated the area and ensured there is no magma to flood us out.

Opal 28, Outpost Year 1
Excavation of the future-designated Magma Manufactories level proceeds apace. Construction of the Magma-fueled Kiln and Smelter has begun.

Obsidian 12, Outpost Year 1
We are running low on plants, though the fields are full and a rich harvest is promised. The fields will need to be expanded soon. Construction on the Magma Kiln, Smelter, Forge, and Glass Furnace is complete, and soon the new year will turn over. I am now faced with a choice, as with other leaders. Am I to continue in my role for the second year of our outpost and bring to life the vision that I have for Machinespires, or shall I turn over my mantle to another as is traditional in the smaller outposts in the deep south? The new year will tell.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 07:44:04 am »

That's nice, and even though im a guy in real life, it'd be nice to dwarf-play as a girl

ADEPTUS SORORITAS!

CLEANSE ALL THE GOBLINS WITH HOLY FLAME!

IN THE EMPRAH'S NAME!
lol, well you're going to be part of the first military once it's formed. For now, one Louse Man that I DFHack'd into an ally is the whole of our military, and that's only because he attacks anything that he sees that isn't part of the fort or a merchant. He's killed one of his kinsmen, though, so maybe he's useful. :3

Also, Jon-L Necrofigures is now the Chief Metallurgist at Machinespires Outpost, by reason of being the only remaining Peasant with no otherwise-useful skills.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:46:10 am by Doctor_Whiteface »

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 07:52:16 am »

a louse-man? WE HAVE XENOS AS ALLIES?

PURGE THE ALIEN WITH HOLY FLAME

and if fire is in short supply

WITH HOLY LAVA, BLOOD OF THE EMPRAH THAT FLOWS BENEATH THE EARTH

I now return to holy prayer as my hands are guided by His vision, crafting ever greater metal items for the glory of the outpost.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 08:02:16 am »

a louse-man? WE HAVE XENOS AS ALLIES?

PURGE THE ALIEN WITH HOLY FLAME

and if fire is in short supply

WITH HOLY LAVA, BLOOD OF THE EMPRAH THAT FLOWS BENEATH THE EARTH

I now return to holy prayer as my hands are guided by His vision, crafting ever greater metal items for the glory of the outpost.
We do indeed, though he's considered less of a citizen than even the migrants (of which you are one, by the by). He has no living quarters, no food privileges, and his designated place is outside the (sealed) fortress, "guarding" against anything that comes near. By which I mean he's glorified cannon fodder, and won't be missed.

EDIT: I have reached Obsidian 28, unless one of the other options beats it out I'm going to consider a tie a decision for "Keep a Story Fort," with another poll when I finish up at Year 5 of the outpost (Obsidian 28, Y11 in the world, since Outpost Y1 is equivalent to Worldgen Y6)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:41:21 am by Doctor_Whiteface »

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 09:36:20 pm »

Quote from: jonanlsh
Notes on Jon-L: Your husband was attacked by a troll earlier this year and beat it to death with the Petrified Wood boulder he was carrying at the time, and you gave birth to a healthy baby boy on the 20th of Hematite. So much for that vow of chastity, Sister Jon-L. Oh, and as of Limestone you appear to be the designated brewer for the fortress, so you're contributing to... actually, inebriation isn't much of a problem in a race of alcoholics, is it? Nevermind, then.

Also, two traders showed up at the same time as a migrant wave and have been standing there for the past few months, is there any way to get rid of them?

Also also, I regret to inform you that our fourth migration wave brought a Great Metalsmith with a Proficient rank in Blacksmithing from the Mountainhome, and you therefore have been demoted to Peasant again. You'll still have the military ranking, though, if we ever need one. The caverns have been sealed off and there's no way to get into the fort when the gate's closed except through the stairs leading up to the roof, so I kind of doubt that we'll be needing much military aside from a couple of war dogs or some tamed Trolls, but there's always the potential that dwarven lives will need to be recklessly risked for no certain result at some point.

Actually, there isn't. The trolls and dogs should handle things just fine, and I'll only be bringing dwarven effort into the military equation if there's no other way to deal with a threat, and then only as a squad of crossbowmen stationed behind fortifications two levels up in a tower. After all, "sane and rational" is the goal of this outpost.

All of the above is in the first four months, the rest of the year was pretty much you hauling shit around and helping everyone else roof over the place. I'd give you a military posting, but I've got dogs at the only entrance.

General progress: Traders arrived in the Spring along with a migrant wave, derped around for a season until I got bored of waiting and DFHack'd them into the fortress, one of them is part of the hauling squad and the other is the new Broker. Started smelting some Native Silver ore and metalsmithed the results into spiked ball trap components, nine of them got me an assload of meat, cheese, cloth, thread, picks, bars, and various other goodies with a fifteen thousand dorfbuck surplus profit to the traders.

An animal pen was built midsummer and all the (starving) animals were pastured inside. This has made them no longer starving, and several have grown up in the past few months.

An absolute ASSLOAD of migrants have arrived, pretty much quadrupling the population and upgrading us from Outpost to Village. I'm currently trying to keep up with the drink needs of the fort, I'm probably going to build a well soon so that the dorfs don't try to go outside every time they want to take a sip of water. Or I'll just wall off another exterior surface area, get that pond right next to the entry bridge, roof it over, and plonk down a well. Whatevs.

What else... oh, right. Two Moods, resulting in an artifact harp and an artifact bracelet. I discovered Adamantine during the delve for magma furnaces, but digging into a column of that stuff is neither sane nor rational. The possible risks in a fort as young as mine far, far outweigh the benefits.

New year's here, beginning of the village's third year, and I'm finally, finally getting the pottery business started. It took me a while to realize that I didn't have anyone with the labor enabled, but once I put the non-"Jon-L" peasant on the job stuff started getting done with relative efficiency. I've hacked in some obsidian with the Liquids plugin in DFHack, I admit, though that was mostly to finish the roofing and give everything a nice, uniform color. I got rid of the nine separate farms about a month ago and just made one big farm with Plump Helmets designated to grow year-round. If and when the elves finally show their faces I'm gonna buy all the Sun Berries they've got and start an aboveground farm (walled and roofed, of course) to the same end. 10x10 with one single crop to maximize potential, and brewing set to a single specific plant at a time if I start to run out of seeds. Probably gonna brew Sunshine for a while if and when I get that going, I've got 158 Plump Helmet Spawn right now and 397 of the actual plant, so those'll keep for a while. I might switch over exclusively to Sun Berries if the farming goes well enough, that'd make the fortress a bit happier.

Now that I think of it, I haven't touched the shrubs outside. I could get some easy herbs off of those, maybe even a few Sun Berries to kickstart the whole process. :P

Anyways, that's about a year of progress right there, plus a few days into Granite of the 3rd year of the village. Stuff's getting routine and I'll be starting a quarry layer to provide a steady stream of (legit) building stone before too long. I'll probably go back to obsidian once I wear whatever I initially use out, or just start mining a level lower.

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 03:23:53 pm »

Notes for Jon-L: Other than hauling and your new fishing duties, your life's been fairly uneventful. You've got masonry duties like everyone else, so you've helped with building the walls and such, but you're still not experienced enough at fishing to qualify for the "fisherdwarf" title. You gave birth to a baby girl on the 16th of Slate, right in the middle of ensuring your eternal inebriation. I would call you out on both the drunkenness and the further evidence of your broken vow of chastity, but it's honestly not much worth it. You're one of a race of manic-depressive alcoholic midgets, what should I expect? :P

General News: A Forgotten Beast wandered onto the map around a month ago, derped around for a bit in the second cavern layer, then wandered off again. I don't know why. I didn't bother creating a military since the main stair column was already sealed, but damn if that sucker didn't sound ugly. Moss-green, horned, eyeless mockingbird.

Migrants here on the 20th of Slate, twenty-one of them. Gonna be a job making all those beds, coffers, and doors, but I figure the dorfs are up to the task. A High Master miner, so that's good, plus a clothier, a stonecrafter, a guy with good talent in all the fish-related discplines, a guy who's REALLY good at dissecting fishes (gonna keep an eye on him... >.> ) and... some guy who's mildly talented with every agriculture-related discipline that doesn't involve burning wood in any way. Fantastic, I've got a bearded fucking elf.

Oh, and our first male peasant. Who is now our Chief Glassmaker, because somehow no-one had THAT labor enabled, either. Gonna run vampire checks on 'em all once they get onto the map, I'm working off of what Therapist is showing me right now.

25th of Slate, migrants are still trickling into the map and generally milling about, I struck a Native Gold vein while mining out their future bedrooms so I'ma mine that out while they dig. Bit of hacking with the digv command shows about eighty squares in the vein, not sure if it runs out into other Z-levels but I've got extensive structures in both directions so I'm going to leave it as-is. I'll fill the walls back in with something cheap like slate.

6th of Felsite, vein's been mined and one of the hunters has claimed a Mason's Workshop. He wants a rock, some bones, cut gems, leather, and two rough gems. Given I cut all the gems recently to encrust stuff, I've had to mine a few varieties from the walls of the freshly-excavated Native Gold vein. Which I'm soon going to be smelting.

16th of Felsite, that ass-ugly FB's wandered back onto the map and actually got close enough to scare some of my dorfs out of their hauling jobs. So I closed the caverns off and went about my business. It'll probably be waiting out there for a while, but that's none of my concern. It can't get in, and that's fine by me.

Also, first fatality in the fort, same day. Onget, our Legendary Mason. Guy got gored to death by the FB and ended up dead FIVE FUCKING LEVELS UP. I don't even know how that's possible. I guess he... I don't know. I'm just glad the thing's walled off from the rest of the fort now, even if it means I've got to rely on the dinky little mushroom farm I've got going near the surface.

OH! That reminds me, I've finally got a surface-plant farm set up, walled off part of the surface and channeled it out because some of the surface had Dolorite pebbles blocking parts of the farm (or Dolomite, I forget which.) Strawberries for now, Sun Berries once the Elves arrive. If they ever do.

Three traders arrived with this spring's migrant wave, fucked if I know why. If they're still here come summer I'm gonna make 'em part of the fort with DFHack. Or maybe finally get around to making a military so I can kill the three of them. Seriously, does anyone know why they might be showing up like this? I'm running vanilla with the LNP launcher, the only thing I've altered about the game is disabling Aquifers.

6th of Hematite and the guy who claimed the Mason's Workshop has completed his diorite floodgate and become our new Legendary Mason. Woop-de-doo. I'd be a lot more impressed if we actually had a stonecrafts industry.

Five more migrants on the 3rd of Malachite, and somehow the first round of coffins haven't been made. I like to make things in batches just in case there's an unexpected upswing in the demand, so our first corpse is provoking the creation of twenty coffins. Also, somehow the coffers and doors for the previous season's migrant wave of 21 still haven't been completed, so the newest five are gonna be sleeping on the ground for a while.

K, so some immigrants have arrived around the 1st of Galena, maybe a bit before ish, and I've noticed that 1. we're now a "Town" and 2. we've now got a Mayor, the same guy who's the broker, and he's bitching (metaphorically) about not having nice furniture.

fff- 19th of Obsidian and the last dwarf's died of starvation. Onget's baby grew into a child and immediately went berserk because of his dad's death and lack of any tomb, I had to put him down which led to his mum's suicide, which led to four berserk states and two more suicides, and from then until the whole fortress was basically in utter chaos. And then the caravan arrived and I accidentally set off a loyalty cascade.

It figures that a fort that was completely self-contained would die to an internal issue. First Tantrum Spiral, though, so that's interesting. I'll handle it better next time :D

Next post: Machinespires the Reborn, a new fort in a location that more than one civilization can actually access.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 02:13:15 am »

This sounds really good, pity they starved.

When you get some migrants I request a dwarf named Sabretache with the profession of Apothecary. If you can, try to make sure he has good medical and military skills as well as the strongest armour the Emperor could offer.

I vote for the hive world mega project in New Machinespires.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:16:50 am by Sabretache »
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 03:23:37 am »

I'd vote for ALL OF THEM AT ONCE.
Also, dorf me if you could - Xantalos, as a warrior or summat if you can.
Additionally, if you can, could you put the custom professtion of 'Not a Heretic'?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 07:05:18 am »

Out of character: well, a tantrum spiral's a terrible way to die.

I SHALL NEVER REST.

LET MY SPIRIT BE REBORN ANEW IN ANOTHER BODY!

FOR THE GLORY OF THE GOD-EMPRAH

OOC: i could be a male dwarf this time, would prevent the problems of children to use as shields. also, SPACE MEHREEN

Doctor_Whiteface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 07:53:51 am »

Alright, so I brought up the old savefile that I stored just in case the voting went towards "make it a succession fort" and ran from there until the normal death-point, then abandoned. I had approximately the same population and got about the same amount of stuff done. Thing is, now every single migrant wave I've got for the past three years has someone from the old fort in it. The first two migrant waves were nothing BUT people from the old fort plus their kids. I'm entirely serious, and it's really easy to recognize them because I turn on Masonry and Engraving in all my dorfs and they've still got those enabled. I'm going to start over again from the "killed off" savefile, so first progress update will be sometime in the next day or two. I don't have a lot of time during the week at the moment.

Sabretache: You'll be dorfed the moment I get a migrant with any skill at all in Diagnosis. I've lost good dorfs before by having a Chief Medical Dwarf without that skill.

Xantalos: You'll be the first Militia Captain once I get a Hauler Peasant with some decent combat skills.

Jonanlsh: Your request for a male body is denied by the Munitorium, you are now assigned to ovary duty until further notice. sure, I'll re-dorf you as a guy once a decent metalworker comes in.

As a note, I tend to play more with building security in mind than with the Dwarven variety. Sealing off the only surface entrance is something I enjoy fairly often, channeling the place into an island with only two drawbridges is another fun thing to do. :3

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:51 am »

OOC: ovary duty. i sniggered slightly.

MY SPIRIT SEEKS A NEW BODY!

ONE OF A FORGE WORLD MANUFACTORUM WORKER

WHO SHALL PRODUCE MASTER-CRAFTED AXES FOR THE GLORY OF THE IMPERIUM!

ONLY THE VERY BEST AXES THE SQUAT ARMIES SHALL WIELD!

FOR THE EMPRAH!

OOC: a 100% axe wielding fortress army would be absolute overkill. also, masterwork steel items for the entire military seems like a good goal to work towards. artifact weaps. FTW
Pages: 1 [2] 3