Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Persona: OOC(looking for players)(Current on break)  (Read 4751 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Persona: OOC(looking for players)
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2013, 02:30:22 pm »

Skip to lunch. Unless we have a Potential/SL as a teacher....

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 02:31:29 pm »

lunch probably, unless something interesting could pop up.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:06 pm »

I'm fine with it, for what it's worth.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2013, 02:46:06 pm »

Okay with a 3/0 lunch tomorrow because I'm busy at the moment. Plus I need to write it.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 06:55:26 pm »

Hey guys, what persona game would you recommend someone to play first?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2013, 08:30:27 pm »

Depends on how much you're looking for; Persona 3 and 4 play rather differently from 1 and 2, and are somewhat disconnected thematically from their predecessors as well (apart from a few shout-outs and Igor).  If you're looking to play through the series in part as a whole, either 1 or 3 are probably good starting points; 2 and 4 introduce quite a few gameplay improvements that make going backwards afterwards somewhat difficult.  Otherwise, if you're looking at just playing through one game for starters, probably 4, being the most recent and most polished, is your best option.  All of the games, with the notable exception of the two games that together comprise Persona 2 (Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment), are completely disconnected plot-wise except for a handful of shout-outs, so there's no particular penalty to playing out of order.  Thematically, I'd say this game is far closer to Persona 3/4 rather than 1/2 as well from the setting, though we're only just starting out; Philemon and Nyar-nyar may make an appearance later on. 

At any rate, to describe them further in case it helps, Persona 1 and 2 tend to play more as conventional PS1-era RPGs.  Every person in the party has the "Wild Card" power alluded to earlier in this thread, which essentially means that they can swap out different Personae at will, though they have particular affinities with different arcana that make certain personae more effective - equipping and utilizing more powerful personae is how characters improve in battle prowess.  In addition to fusion, his game also includes the recruitment system of most SMT games through selecting a person and an action to interact with a demon - by gaining a demon's contact card through sparking their interest in you, you could create a persona equivalent in the Velvet Room.  As far as control outside of the battlefield, it's fairly closer to the traditional RPG or other SMT games (caveats like first-person/third-person aside), particularly when compared to the next two games in the series.

Compared to the first two games, Persona 3 and 4 introduce some features of time management, particularly balancing school life with saving the day by exploring a labyrinth over the course of the school year.  Instead of focusing solely on a straightforward plot (or as straightforward as SMT ever gets), you decide your actions over the course of the day (typically morning/afternoon/evening during free days and afternoon/evening for school days, barring plot events), which can range from improving your own personal skills to hanging out with friends to, naturally, saving the day.  Unlike the previous Persona games, only the main character has the "Wild Card" power (all other party members being fixed to a single persona reflective of their personality), and also unlike the earlier Persona games but like the SMT main-line series, if he/she goes down in battle, the game ends.  Leveling is also more straightforward, and recruitment is also completely removed - instead of communicating with shadows (which are now unique enemies who cannot be fused), you gain new personae only through fusion and post-battle shuffles.  The biggest change, and the most polarizing for old-school SMT fans, is probably the introduction of Social Links.  Effectively, by making friends with other people and deepening your bonds with them through gameplay very similar to visual novels (i.e. read the conversation, pick the right options when prompted), you unlock new strengths inside yourself, improving fusions of persona in the corresponding arcana and eventually unlocking new persona; in Persona 4, S.Links with your party members can also unlock new support abilities and an extra special bonus once maxed out.  As implied, a lot of old-school fans tend to deride S.Links as "dating sim" gameplay (and yes, you can date some characters of the opposite gender, since, after all, high school romance), but I, and a lot of other players both new and old, found it quite refreshing. 

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2013, 12:23:23 pm »

Y no post? :/

Seriously, we advancing past the whole 'walking in the corridor' thing?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2013, 01:37:57 pm »

Today was pop the [swear word] out of nowhere day. so I been busy and there the other game I'm running.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2013, 07:06:05 am »

Is this dead now? :/

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2013, 10:12:06 am »

Is this dead now? :/
I taking a break at the moment. Sorry.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Persona: OOC(looking for players)(Current on break)
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2013, 12:20:20 pm »

Sorry for the necro but you going to update? :/

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2013, 12:21:19 pm »

We are on break apparently.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2013, 12:27:13 pm »

I know. I was wondering if his break was over.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2013, 07:13:18 am »

I know it's a necro but this have any chance of getting active again in any form?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:37 am »

I know it's a necro but this have any chance of getting active again in any form?
At least not till I pass my driving test.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6