Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: If justice is blind...  (Read 10895 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
If justice is blind...
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:32:36 pm »

[UPDATE: See page 4 for initial results.]

I have a skilled speardwarf who suffered some unfortunate ill effects after battling a forgotten beast. All surface tissues became swollen and rotten, but she was saved by a surgeon who excised all the affected areas. Including her eyes.

She is otherwise healthy and still joins her comrades in battle, but since losing her eyes she has yet to actually manage to hit anything with her spear. She's in good spirits, though, so I think the other dwarves encourage her by shouting things like, "Wow, you just skewered three goblins with a single thrust!" while she's actually standing off by herself waving her weapon around in empty space.

I'm thinking of promoting her to captain of the guard or hammerer, as I currently have neither appointed.

My question is: When she is administering punishment in her new role, will she be as ineffective at stabbing dwarves as she is at stabbing goblins? Will she even be able to find the offending craftsdwarf who failed to make three pewter flutes?

I really like the idea of her marching around, interrogating random cabinets and goats as to their identity, until finally:
Blind speardwarf: "Ho there! Identify yourself! Are you Urist Pewterfail?"
Urist: "Um, yes."
Blind speardwarf: "You have blatantly disregarded the mandates of our leader, and thereby encourage dissent and treachery among our people. I hereby execute you for treason!"
*Blind speardwarf stabs around wildly, hitting nothing.*
Urist: "Um, er... I mean, URKKKKKKKKKKK." *staggers around loudly and collapses in exaggerated, noisy fashion*
Blind speardwarf: "Justice is delivered." *marches off*
*Urist stands back up and continues about his business.*
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:04:23 pm by Raphite1 »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: If justice is blind...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »

I'm interested in finding out the answer to this myself.  My suspicion is that she won't have any trouble locating criminals, but probably will miss frequently when trying to issue beatings.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:17:36 pm »

Truly putting justice into the hands of the RNG. Wonderful.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:44:57 pm »

I think this sounds like a good science project.

Retire our dear hero, and give her a job worthy of her mighty power. The position of Hammerer.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:32:10 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:18 pm »

Get her some tame blind cave ogres as pets.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 06:06:30 pm »

They are untameable, unless you mod them.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

mod them. Breed them. Use dwarf hack to switch into an adventurer, perhaps even your blind hero.

Enjoy saving your forts from all the bred, suddenly hostile blind cave ogres.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »

AFAIK being blind doesn't have any real effects on melee combat, since basically all it does is shorten your sight radius to a single tile. Ranged combat on the other hand is completely different. IIRC blind crossbow dwarves still fire in random directions when it comes time to attack (example).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:50 pm »

AFAIK being blind doesn't have any real effects on melee combat, since basically all it does is shorten your sight radius to a single tile. Ranged combat on the other hand is completely different. IIRC blind crossbow dwarves still fire in random directions when it comes time to attack (example).

She was proficient in spears at embark, and she lost sight after a couple years of minor battles and training. After she lost her eyes, I had a couple pages of combat reports of her whiffing spear attacks against goblins. It's possible it was bad luck; I'll trap her in a room with a thrips man or something and see if she can hit him. If not, she's getting a promotion.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 09:34:04 pm »

Urist Mccraftsfward:
"Hrmm, i can't put my finger on why, but this fort seems like it would be a great place for me to relocate."

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 01:31:47 am »

Please mind that in the latest version CotG will not use his equipped weapon to administer beatings. IF the victim is sentenced to "beating", it will be always with bare hands. Still lethal if the criminal is caught sleeping. Hammerer, on the other hand, will never beat a sleeping dwarf, but instead take him to a chain, leash him, then go fetch the hammer  (idk what do if it's already equipped though) and deliver a series of blows. So I'd recommend to make your Blind Justice the hammerer, not the CotG - I think that it would turn out safer.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 02:10:49 am »

Please mind that in the latest version CotG will not use his equipped weapon to administer beatings. IF the victim is sentenced to "beating", it will be always with bare hands. Still lethal if the criminal is caught sleeping. Hammerer, on the other hand, will never beat a sleeping dwarf, but instead take him to a chain, leash him, then go fetch the hammer  (idk what do if it's already equipped though) and deliver a series of blows. So I'd recommend to make your Blind Justice the hammerer, not the CotG - I think that it would turn out safer.
Make him a hammerer and ignore some mandates.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:38:01 pm »

Science is taking awhile due to a couple ambushes, a swarm of giant kea, a forgotten beast attack, and a minor magma accident. All in one season!

She participated in battling the giant kea, and after whiffing several shots she did manage to stab one of them a single time.

I locked her in a room with a caged goblin thief, and released the goblin with a lever. The goblin stayed in flee mode and did not attack her. She did not try to attack the goblin, either, even when standing on a square immediately adjacent to it. Neither with a kill order nor with a station order.

So, I suspect that she can't initiate an attack while blind, and can only engage in battle if another unit initiates. For further testing, I'll try to pit her against something that will be more hostile than the frightened goblin.

I'm not going to promote her just yet, the military is in shambles after the forgotten beast, and I need to let things stabilize a bit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:59:21 pm by Raphite1 »

comham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 01:40:24 pm »

Perhaps the dwarf-to-be-executed will helpfully call out "a bit to the left".

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 01:42:35 pm »

They are untameable, unless you mod them.
There are blind cave bears.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4