Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: If justice is blind...  (Read 10896 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: If justice is blind...
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 12:59:20 am »

Okay, she's officially been decommissioned from regular squad duty, and has been appointed to the positions of both Captain of the Guard and Hammerer.

Now to see her in action. If I get through a couple seasons with no tantrums, I'll consider purposefully violating a mandate.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 01:17:42 am »

It should be interesting to see if she will initiate a beating/hammering.  If she won't, you could try assigning her as Champion.  She should still perform even without being assigned to a squad, and disabling all other duties would have her in the barracks constantly.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 09:23:02 pm »

I've been reading Beards and Brimstone, Raphite. I love it. Keep up the good work!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:46 pm »

The status effect "vision lost" impairs combat severely. It shouldn't hinder jobs, that is she should still be able to find criminals and hault them to jail but beatings are based on combat. I imagine she's going to spend alot of time swinging wildly and ineffectually.

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »

I'm begging you, nickname her Maggie Lizer, and give her a dog named Justice...

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 09:42:47 pm »

I've been reading Beards and Brimstone, Raphite. I love it. Keep up the good work!

Awesome, glad you like it! Just finished another year and will probably write it up tomorrow. (And apologies for all the typos, I'm pretty busy at the moment but still trying to keep the blog updated in a timely fashion. I'll eventually give it an editing review.)

Blind Lady Justice hasn't had a chance to attempt to ply her new trade yet. I've had my hands full with beasts and invaders, and haven't wanted to risk more complication by intentionally pissing off the nobles.

She's still alive, at least, which means she's doing better than most of my military. Or goats.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:46:33 pm by Raphite1 »

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 10:28:23 pm »

...I've had my hands full with beasts and invaders, and haven't wanted to risk more complication by intentionally pissing off the nobles.

She's still alive, at least, which means she's doing better than most of my military. Or goats.

I had a laugh at this.  At first I thought the 'Or goats' comment was completely out of context, but then I remembered a post about pathing invaders through the pasture zone to soften them up...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:08 pm »

Awesome, glad you like it! Just finished another year and will probably write it up tomorrow. (And apologies for all the typos, I'm pretty busy at the moment but still trying to keep the blog updated in a timely fashion. I'll eventually give it an editing review.)

Blind Lady Justice hasn't had a chance to attempt to ply her new trade yet. I've had my hands full with beasts and invaders, and haven't wanted to risk more complication by intentionally pissing off the nobles.

I could edit it for you if you want me to. I really don't mind, especially if it'll give you more time to write more!

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 02:56:02 am »

You should edit the raws for your dwarves to remove their eyes so you can observe their lacking ability to observe. It would be an interesting experiment.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 08:05:19 pm »

blindness also makes someone an excellent candidate for siege engineer duty.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 08:11:31 pm »

Seems like a good idea for different castes...

Was she cave adapted? Do blind dwarves suffer the same bad thoughts when out in the sun once they are?
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 09:08:13 pm »

Good thought to test for whether it affects cave adaptation. I'll leave her underground for another year to ensure she gets adapted, and then test it out.

I suspect she'll still get the nausea and vomiting.

(Also, looks like it'll be another day before the next Beards and Brimstones goes up, this one's a bit long.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 09:12:18 pm »

Was she cave adapted? Do blind dwarves suffer the same bad thoughts when out in the sun once they are?
Does no_fear prevent job interruptions? If so it may be a better choice than blindness.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 10:42:05 pm »

Does no_fear prevent job interruptions? If so it may be a better choice than blindness.

blindness tends to prevent dwarfs from getting afraid, because they can't see the thing that would make them afraid. that's why it's particularly useful for siege engineers... they get afraid when they see enemies, because siege engineers are civilians, but their job essentially requires that they be in a place where sight lines to enemies are present...

so go figure. best person to line up a shot on that pesky titan or forgotten beast? (also for lining up shots against the deadly and terrifying kea). blind people.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 10:58:36 pm »

blindness tends to prevent dwarfs from getting afraid, because they can't see the thing that would make them afraid. that's why it's particularly useful for siege engineers... they get afraid when they see enemies, because siege engineers are civilians, but their job essentially requires that they be in a place where sight lines to enemies are present...

so go figure. best person to line up a shot on that pesky titan or forgotten beast? (also for lining up shots against the deadly and terrifying kea). blind people.
I know the logic behind it, the problem is that being blind sort of sucks for other things. If no_fear means they don't cancel their job it's better than just having them be blind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4