Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302636 times)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #4125 on: October 11, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »

Sure, but the SoM kissing thing isn't a review, it's a disavowed opinion piece:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/1/6880061/shadow-mordor-kissing-design

Unless there is a review which does the same thing and I just haven't seen it.

Right, I have to put up my hands to that one. Altough I could've sword I read it somewhere else, but until (if) I find it, you're right. That was a bad example.

I'm interested in seeing examples of this.  I'm not exactly doubting you, I don't visit game review sites much so I don't really know.  Is it really so extreme?  I assume you're speaking specifically of reviews of games which ARE sexualizing women, because I'm pretty sure most CoD reviews can go three sentences without talking about the portrayal of women.

My thinking is that Dragons Crown was asking to be made into a sexism controversy, and got exactly what it wanted.  Though I suspect most reviews actually did cover the gameplay mechanics also...  They just addressed the watermelons in the room.

I will try to get a few decent examples and post them here. And no, it's not "that" extreme. But noticeable enough to roll my eyes and get quite a few people annoyed enough to complain about it. It's usually the moment where I have to double check if half the stuff mentioned comes even close to being that bad. A lot of Dragon's Crown stuff I read shortly after release were up in arms about the scoreress and amazon. So I assumed that those were two models oddly out of place in a otherwise decent represantation. But I had to drift to Video footage and the like until I saw that the other models are also acted up with every fantasy stereotype ever, and that the two chicks didnt seem out of place most of the time (I mean, I generally didnt like the models, maybe except for the Elf. The Warrior looks like a pea on top of a dude that filled his armor with baloon animals.). I could've hopped on to the thing too if the other characters were reasonably presented. But they werent.

Okay, I think you're exaggerating.  Maybe projecting.

No, I do mean it that way. It isnt everyone, mind you. I still regularly visit quite a few Sites, but other sites like Kotaku and the bunch? That isnt journalism, at least half the time it isnt. And when I reach the point where I have to cherry pick articles not containing some nutjob's "Dis' be sexist, Mon!" out of the others, the site isnt exactly climbing on my list. The whole "Gamers are dead"-thing gave me a good pointer on which site can be safely ignored without loosing anything valuable.

Altough, I have to admit that I was pretty upset with this whole thing. People that I used to watch regularly, or who I read regularly, shifted from stuff that really interested me (Game design, bad DRM, backwards compatability, deeper analysis of story and gameplay) to the whole "women in gaming" thing. I mean, it's HUGE. And there ARE issues I recognize. But I have a hard time with not being able to walk ten paces without being BOMBARDED with this crap. Maybe you're right, and maybe I just project too much into actually harmless pieces, because there's a ton to go around at the moment. But from a subejctive point, there's too much, it's to acted up, and contains way too much drama.

People asked for a female protagonist.  They didn't magically deduct a point from every game without one, or demand that every game have one.  You're knocking down strawmen.

The guy's response was the problem, that he dismissed public opinion *in general* over this.  That he suggested it would be "pandering" to listen to what people want, period.  He could have just said "No" or "No, it'd be too much work" or "No, the majority of the gaming community doesn't care about having female heroes".

So hopefully people take his snarky advice and take their dollars elsewhere, to developers who listen to their fans.  Or at least don't dismiss their fans.

Strawmen? I dont think so, honestly. First of all, we've seen the excuse of "It takes too much time." and "Not enough people want that" before, and people went apeshit then too! Look at AC: Unity for the "Not enough time" excuse. It's a battle you cant win, people will yell at you either way. So his version is as good as any. Also, he did not dismiss all people voicing discontent, only those that specifically asked for a female protagonist. At least in the articles i've read. If you have one where he also goes that route for other concerns, I would concede this point.

I just dont see how this would be a valid critique anway. Why wasnt the Character gay? Why wasnt he black? He wrote a certain story with a certain character in mind, and "If you didnt like the color/gender/sexuality of the main protagonist, the game probably isnt for you." is probably the most valid response you can give. Sure, his tone was a bit...meh. So I can understand if you wouldnt want to have anything to do with him.

I didn't say anything about hate crimes or... African druglords??  Yes, that does sound crazy!

I was thinking about the Chik-Fil-A situation, but also things like Metal Gear.  If I was in favor of nuclear proliferation, I'd probably avoid buying games involving Kojima!  Nothing weird about that.

That was blow out of proportion on purpose, because I wanted to illustrate  the "How bad can it be?"-point. Maybe it makes me a bad person, but I do not check if anyone involved in a certain production does bad stuff on the side. I think that's just a matter of personal preference. And I wanted to show my point of view, it would have to be pretty bad stuff for me to go "You know what? Maybe this isnt a good idea.". But I never got the impression that my money supports some outrageous atrocities somewhere else in the world. But again, to each his own. I stopped buying inventory from certain places for much dumber reasons than anything like that.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: October 11, 2014, 02:43:06 pm »

https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/520739878993420290
Oh look, more lovely death threats. This is what GG is.

This argument is pathetic, but so popular it's no wonder political debate seems to be a dead art in America.

http://kotaku.com/death-threats-follow-small-call-of-duty-tweak-888324886

Ho , ho wait wait, those happen all the time?

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/506435662481219585

Ho wait gamergate supporter get them too.

Racism, too http://gamergateharassment.tumblr.com/image/96595687732

No seriously, you work in tech, it's time to use those logic skills on reality.

Edit : here's two other ones

https://twitter.com/lizzyf620/status/513708836767924224/photo/1
http://i.imgur.com/PxxSMvt.png
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:49:42 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: October 11, 2014, 02:54:35 pm »

Seriously no more GG talk.

This thread has so far been a miracle thread in that it is probably the longest sexism discussion that hasn't been shut down.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: October 11, 2014, 03:28:26 pm »

But then we have official "gaming" sites that are trying to sell their Preschool sexism-essay as a Review. Someone else above said it allready, it depends entirely on amount and execution. Again, if you just mention that the Sorceress is tit-based click and buybait, I wont complain about a thing. Because you're probably right. But if you cant go 3 sentences without mentioning how the game doesnt pander to women in gaming, it's just a bad freaking "game Review" to me. If all I can get from most of these journalists today is "Game didnt potray the women how I wanted", learned basically nothing that would influence my buying decision.

And that's your opinion, but finding out how women are portrayed in a game certainly would influence my buying decision, and probably a lot of others. You not caring about that is not reason to not bring it up in a review.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: October 11, 2014, 03:32:47 pm »

Unfortunately it is too Ubiquitous for it to affect my buying decisions. I love Soul Calibur too much as a game for its "Sophitia Syndrome" to scare me away.

LUCKLY for me most of the time serious hardcore sexism tends to be an indication of a bad game.

Then again... just saying a game that uses sex in place of gameplay is a bad game I guess is affecting my buying decisions.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:18:21 pm by Neonivek »

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: October 11, 2014, 04:30:40 pm »

But then we have official "gaming" sites that are trying to sell their Preschool sexism-essay as a Review. Someone else above said it allready, it depends entirely on amount and execution. Again, if you just mention that the Sorceress is tit-based click and buybait, I wont complain about a thing. Because you're probably right. But if you cant go 3 sentences without mentioning how the game doesnt pander to women in gaming, it's just a bad freaking "game Review" to me. If all I can get from most of these journalists today is "Game didnt potray the women how I wanted", learned basically nothing that would influence my buying decision.

And that's your opinion, but finding out how women are portrayed in a game certainly would influence my buying decision, and probably a lot of others. You not caring about that is not reason to not bring it up in a review.

It's fantastic how you prove that you havent even read the part you're quoting.

Yes, it's my opinion. But I also said it's a difference if that makes up the majority of your Review/Content, or is just part of the bigger picture. I would not want it to completely vanish, because it IS an issue, but I and probably many others wouldnt want it to color EVERYTHING.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: October 11, 2014, 05:13:08 pm »

Can I use "the witcher 2" for an example of eroticism in videogame done right? Granted in a cheesy action movie style, but nicely done nonetheless.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: October 11, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »

Can I use "the witcher 2" for an example of eroticism in videogame done right? Granted in a cheesy action movie style, but nicely done nonetheless.

It really depends on who you talk to.

A lot of people also say Bayonetta is also a good example of eroticism in a videogame done right as well.

My personal measure is: Is the character sexual or are they being sexualized.

Its hard for me because I am quite prudish but recognize that my prudishness is a preference and not my ideal. Same time I also grew up with a LOT of sexualization so most of it just goes over my head. So its a mix of being too sensitive and insensitive.

So the ultimate question I have to ask is: When are boobs just boobs?

Cammy from Street Fighter is probably the one I just don't know what to think about.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:36:05 pm by Neonivek »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: October 11, 2014, 05:54:43 pm »

In my opinion, boobs are just boobs when said boobs don't define the character. For example, that mage girl in The Witcher 2 has a lot more to her character than boobs.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: October 11, 2014, 08:25:21 pm »

Haven't played it, so can't comment on how tasteful it is...

But judging by its wiki page it, at the very least, sounds like it fails in regards to game design. I mean, the first sentence is
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings there are 5 confirmed romance options, though the term romance is used loosely since most of the encounters are meaningless sex.

Overall though, in terms of sex in most mainstream games my opinion is that you hit the nail on the head with the "cheesy action movie style" thing. In that it largely isn't part of the actual gameplay or related to the game in any way aside from checking a box on the 'features' list. It's why Bioware Romance is a meme. Gameplay and anything interesting comes to a screeching halt, followed by 5 or 10 dialog prompts which can be summarized as 'press x to sex, press y to not sex.' After notifying the game in triplicate that you did mean to press x, it then presents you with a cheesy action movie cutscene, before going back to the real game with no impact or importance, and as if nothing ever happened. It just sort of sits out on its own little island, separate from the actual game, and contributing nothing of value.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: October 12, 2014, 03:49:43 am »

Well the witcher 2 is for me "the action game done right". Nice gameplay, a lot of meanigfull choices (two different possible story arcs, a lot of ending), eyecandy everywhere and it does everything to make you feel like a badass.

Yet again it's nothing else. If the world is well crafted and the NPC aren't too flat, there is nothing philosophical to expect. It talk of racism and thee human condition, but it's a plot point. It's not intended as a medium to speak of those things, rather as a cultural caneva ingrained in Polish history.

Your relation to NPC is what you choose to make of them. Same with romance. How attached you are to Trix (your main romance) is up to you.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: October 12, 2014, 03:54:31 am »

It allways annoyed me to no end that the whole romance thing in ME changes absolutely NOTHING but a few lines of dialogue between characters. I tried to date Tali in all 3 games, and even when you use save from ME 1 to 2, or 2 to 3, all it does is one:

"Remember how we had sex that one time? That was great!" Brrrrr.

In Witcher 2, I think the only "romance" option that mattered to me was the one with Triss, because she and Geralt actually have chemistry (ANd Triss is a great character, imho). All the subsequent ones felt like marking down a Checklist (Just like Witcher 1, I mean, that game gave you goddamn trading cards for nailing every woman you meet).

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: October 12, 2014, 04:03:39 am »

Witcher 2 will never be an example of romance done right because my love interest in 1 was Shani and the first scene in 2 was Geralt having sex with Trish >:(

So... what if the person reading the review is female and wants to know if the game will appeal to them?  Not everyone is you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: October 12, 2014, 04:24:41 am »

I do however write Witcher a check in that... frankly "relationships" is something it doesn't do particularly well anyway.

In its own incredibly flawed universe... that romance you had might as well have been written by Shakespeare

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: October 12, 2014, 04:29:48 am »

I think Geralt has more of a pre-determined personality that came from the books the games based on, rather then being the blank-ish slate Shepard is in "Mass Effect". Geralt did strike me as not the type to have a single relationship and being more of a womaniser.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277