Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 302822 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #2385 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:12 pm »

I don't know, I blame bad moods.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:46 pm »

Because we've had a number of movies recently with only one female character, but where viewers didn't feel that feeling, you know the "man I'm being left out" feeling that's so common for women--and yet it didn't pass the Bechdel test, which is usually a pretty good rule of thumb for feeling/no feeling (no pass/pass respectively).  So they wrote a new test, trying to figure out exactly what it was about these new presentations that triggered/didn't trigger that feeling.

And, in this case, it's that we have a character, Mako Mori, who is the only female character in the film with appreciable lines and who we are left feeling is... not a character written based on her femaleness, the package of sexist crap that routinely follows female characters, but on something else.  And, in this case, we don't feel like she's a token because her story is about herself, her desires, and Stacker is just the obstacle she needs to get around in order to get what she wants.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:13 pm »

I am kind of curious as to how many movies and shows pass the "Neutral Bechdel test"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 30, 2013, 01:22:48 pm »

Quote from: Google
No results found for "neutral bechdel test"

Wouldn't it just be the union of movies that pass the Bechdel test and the reverse Bechdel test?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 30, 2013, 01:24:17 pm »

Quote from: Google
No results found for "neutral bechdel test"

Wouldn't it just be the union of movies that pass the Bechdel test and the reverse Bechdel test?

No because a Bechdel test can still be passed if two women talk about either themselves or another woman.

This is how many pass a test where two characters talk about someone other then another character and excludes asides.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 30, 2013, 01:41:04 pm »

Someone other than another character?

Well, pretty much any spy movie will have them talking about the president of the US, I guess, and he's usually not a character, either.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: August 30, 2013, 02:14:20 pm »

Well, pretty much any spy movie will have them talking about the president of the US, I guess, and he's usually not a character, either.

It needs to be a conversation that is NOT about a person. period.

Since if two women spoke and the conversation was about a male president who isn't a character... It would fail.

The Neutral Bechdel Test is a conversation between two or more characters who are not talking about another person, even if that person is themselves.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 30, 2013, 02:16:44 pm »

Yeah, you said "someone" up there so I just wanted to check.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:42 pm »

It needs to be a conversation that is NOT about a person. period.

Since if two women spoke and the conversation was about a male president who isn't a character... It would fail.

The Neutral Bechdel Test is a conversation between two or more characters who are not talking about another person, even if that person is themselves.

Why would such a test be useful? Other than to have a test that many, many movies would succeed on. (Any movie that had two people talk about a song, or a car, or the weather, or whatever would succeed.)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 30, 2013, 06:35:48 pm »

Why would such a test be useful?

Curiosity and quality of character depth.

Remember the Bechdel test is not to see if "women are being represented" but rather to see their depth.

So I wonder how much media has the depth of concerns outside the immediate plot.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:09 pm »

I thought the Bechdel test was set up to demonstrate blatent gender bias across the movie industry as a whole, by putting in conditions that seeem like most things should satisfy, but come as a shock when they dont. i.e. its supposed to demonstrate that gender bias exists.

I dont think its a very accurate way to measure character depth.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:49 pm »

I thought the Bechdel test was set up to demonstrate blatent gender bias across the movie industry as a whole, by putting in conditions that seeem like most things should satisfy, but come as a shock when they dont. i.e. its supposed to demonstrate that gender bias exists.

I dont think its a very accurate way to measure character depth.

The thing is the "So easy to satisfy" is a bit of a myth in my opinion.

As it requires you to have a scene with two characters speaking to each other about something that is usually not plot related, or it requires you to isolate two characters. Just by having the plot revolve around a male character you can make it impossible to pass the Bechdel Test and the Neutral Bechdel Test (as I have unfortunately have seen). Some cannot succeed just by having not enough characters and no conversations to speak of. Some will never succeed because they never isolate their characters.

If you want to be as specific as possible...

The Bechdel test was created as a joke as a sort of "Take that" against movies in a sort of comical style. It was later adopted into its current form.

Though that is a bit like saying the true source of April Fools day. It doesn't really apply anymore.

Suffice it to say it isn't really about "ease of success" as that is mostly an illusion so much as how frequent women are used, how much character they are allowed, and what is the depth of their concerns.

I dont think its a very accurate way to measure character depth

It isn't an accurate way to demonstrate blatent gender bias either. A lot of movies that show strong and deep female characters outright fail this test. As well how to apply the test is not clear as well, it is easy to pass things by being very specific or fail them by being abstract. I've seen people say "Sex in the City" fails, and yet that is only because all their conversations are just preludes into talking about men.

But to explain this one is easy. In a movie what is a woman's concern? Is it about something other then a man? congratulations!

--

I may want to amend the Neutral Bechdel Test to also exclude "talking about the main plot"

Now That certainly runs down the list.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:42:58 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 30, 2013, 10:42:44 pm »

We can work on character depth tests when Hollywood can comply with the simplest test we can give them in half the movies that come out in a year. Baby steps, people.

As it requires you to have a scene with two characters speaking to each other about something that is usually not plot related

No, we want them talking about the plot, unless you're radically misunderstanding what's going on here. That is what would indicate some form of equality here, because if you have two women on screen talking about something that isn't the poorly done romantic subplot with the "lead male", that is a step in the right direction. It means that the woman are involved enough in the plot to, you know, be involved in what the movie is actually about.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 30, 2013, 10:45:38 pm »

And how many plots don't revolve around a character or are fulfilled through a character?

That is why I gave the Neutral test. Without an amendment I'd estimate 30% of movies fail. With it I suspect 70% do.

Heck Princess and the Frog doesn't pass the Neutral Bechdel Test... there isn't a single conversation that isn't about another character (Nor... does it pass the Bechdel Test oddly enough)

That is what would indicate some form of equality here, because if you have two women on screen talking about something that isn't the poorly done romantic subplot with the "lead male", that is a step in the right direction.

To me that is a mistake in thinking. That ISN'T what they are preventing.

They are preventing women basically being used in movies as a sort of mirror for the male characters. Such as she talking about how she is worried that her husband won't make it.

Basically about whether the female character has a story of her own linked into this larger plot or if she is just an actor in a man's story.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:50:27 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: August 30, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »

Because it's completely impossible for two women to talk about the actions that they plan to take to sneak into the enemy bunker. That would just be silly.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 277