Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303658 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1575 on: May 30, 2013, 06:48:50 pm »

I'm trying to say that if you say that the only reason that Krogan females are rare is a half assed excuse to cover up the fact that there aren't any warrior females, you could easily apply the same logic to the Asari which is an entirely female race as an half assed excuse not to have males.

Or you could say that the Asari are a half-assed excuse to have a race of blue space prostitutes.

Seriously, justicars are supposed to be rare outside of Asari space.  Drell are supposed to be rare, but we get one of those (very small population... decimated by war, overpopulation, and disease.  Sound familiar?).  We have the very most powerful biotic in the entire human race and a woman who was completely genetically engineered by her father, and the unusual thing we don't see is a Krogan woman?  Seriously?  Despite visiting the Krogan DMZ?

I don't buy it.

EDIT: Including a biologically engineered male super-Krogan.  I mean come on guys.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:51:41 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 30, 2013, 06:58:32 pm »

Or you could say that the Asari are a half-assed excuse to have a race of blue space prostitutes.

Seriously, justicars are supposed to be rare outside of Asari space.  Drell are supposed to be rare, but we get one of those (very small population... decimated by war, overpopulation, and disease.  Sound familiar?).  We have the very most powerful biotic in the entire human race and a woman who was completely genetically engineered by her father, and the unusual thing we don't see is a Krogan woman?  Seriously?  Despite visiting the Krogan DMZ?

I don't buy it.

I am not defending the fact that we never see a Krogan woman though you do finally see one in ME3, I am saying that is wrong to assume that the only reason they are rare is because of a half assed excuse to not have them as warriors. Especially with the fact that there are other species in the game which do not have such an excuse which still don't have female warriors shown in the game.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 30, 2013, 07:01:11 pm »

Or you could say that the Asari are a half-assed excuse to have a race of blue space prostitutes

Isn't that the opposite of what they actually did with the Asari?

Also I will defend that we never meet a female Krogan.

Its "They control the story" is invalid when other races have males and females as well. Not everything needs equal male and female representation when there is equal male and female representation.

It isn't a Half-arsed excuse when... they don't need an excuse.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:04:33 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 30, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »

I am not defending the fact that we never see a Krogan woman though you do finally see one in ME3, I am saying that is wrong to assume that the only reason they are rare is because of a half assed excuse to not have them as warriors. Especially with the fact that there are other species in the game which do not have such an excuse which still don't have female warriors shown in the game.

Okay, I think that makes more sense.

Glad to hear that they're finally shown in ME3.  I remember the reason why Toriyama said he didn't show female Saiyans was because "he wanted to, but couldn't figure out how to make them look tough."  I sympathize, especially because he gave us Bulma and Videl, but still...

Isn't that the opposite of what they actually did with the Asari?

ME1, they pretty much run around being mind-controlled or dancing in bars.  Other than Liara, who, you know, gazey.

ME2 is much better.  I'm starting to feel like ME1 was almost just a demo game, given how different and expanded 2 is in comparison.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 30, 2013, 07:07:50 pm »

They really are.  I've heard that they were originally intended to be a parody/ subversion of the lusty space-babe race you see in sci-fi (hence why they have a lot of power and stuff), but at some point they dropped that idea and just played it totally straight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 30, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »

they pretty much run around being mind-controlled or dancing in bars.  Other than Liara, who, you know, gazey

They were also scientists in the first game, Miners, dignitaries, and you can find a business run by them where they do activities from basic conversation to making inspirational speeches (which was supposed to be a twist, they try to make it sound like a prostitution bar... but when you actually go there... It isn't anywhere close to that). You can even fight them and they tend to use psychic powers to stop you.

They actually had a diverse role in the first mass effect.

Mind you I never played past the first one.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 30, 2013, 07:14:30 pm »

I did play the first one.  There's one scientist, one dignitary, and the consort did nothing to rule out sex.  It had the whole Companion vibe from Firefly.  Mostly, we see them pole-dancing in bars in the Wards.

Yes, you can fight 'em once in a while, which was nice.  But as NPCs going about their daily lives in town, they are really mostly shown as hookers.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1582 on: May 30, 2013, 07:17:16 pm »

One thing that's always bothered me is that women in fiction are always "Hot" as default.

Even that "We have always fought", it's pictures were mostly "Hot women in armor".

While males can look like whatever and still be taken seriously.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1583 on: May 30, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »

One thing that's always bothered me is that women in fiction are always "Hot" as default.

Even that "We have always fought", it's pictures were mostly "Hot women in armor".

While males can look like whatever and still be taken seriously.
Not at all. In any game that has a theme, if being hot is a part of that theme then the same is applied to men. This is the overwhelming majority.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 30, 2013, 07:32:15 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't just talking about games, but film, books (at least in descriptions) and pictures.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1585 on: May 30, 2013, 07:36:39 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't just talking about games, but film, books (at least in descriptions) and pictures.
Oh right. Why does it bother you that people like idealizations of the human form?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 30, 2013, 07:37:32 pm »

Right but right now we are on "Why can't we have some female peons that we can slaughter?"

Mind you do you mean beautiful or hot? Hot implies sexy.

Yes, you can fight 'em once in a while, which was nice.  But as NPCs going about their daily lives in town, they are really mostly shown as hookers

There are also the files in Mass effect that do a lot to round out their culture.

Also there were more scientists then one from that race. They fight you in a cave and technically you see more scientists of their race then you do "strippers" (of which you see... one)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:40:29 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 30, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »

Oh right. Why does it bother you that people like idealizations of the human form?

Because women have to be idealized, but men don't?  And because ugly men get a voice and a representation, and uglier women usually don't?

I like ugly characters.  But there is no female Hunchback of Notre Dame, or Phantom of the Opera, or Frankenstein.  This isn't about idealization in general, this is about representation.

(Props to Charles Baudelaire, though.  Dude knows what I like)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 30, 2013, 07:41:12 pm »

Mad props to Game of Thrones for Brienne then?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 30, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »

Mad props to Game of Thrones for Brienne then?

I've only skimmed the wiki, so I have no idea what I'm talking about, but that's a tomboy.  Not a hunchback or frankenstein.  Short hair and martial prowess is not disfigurement :/
Also she
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I'm holding my props...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 277