Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303408 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1515 on: May 29, 2013, 04:36:27 pm »

No, Damsel in Distress as you're defining it is not a unisex trope.  You may see both male and female characters in that position, but it is very strongly slanted in a particular direction.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 29, 2013, 04:38:16 pm »

No, Damsel in Distress as you're defining it is not a unisex trope.

My definition of the Damsel in Distress is a person who is captured or endangered and needs to be rescued/saved.

I don't see gender being added to it.

It has LONG since stopped applying to only women.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:39:55 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 29, 2013, 04:40:05 pm »

Yeah, what I'm trying to say is that ...

Huh.  No, I'm suddenly remembering all those throwaway sidequests where you save dudes.

Let me put it this way: the more plot relevance it has, the more likely it will be to be a woman.  Less plot relevance in the saving story -> NPC could go either way.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 29, 2013, 04:43:09 pm »

Right

But just because I define Damsel as a unisex trope it doesn't mean that it isn't constantly thrust upon women.

I've watched WAAAAAY too many shows, movies, and videogames where the action hero female character just goes "Whelp, I cannot stop the villain. Why don't you the male protagonist stop him" (That is basically Chun-Li's roles in the Street fighter series. While she is considered the female lead, the amount she does without some guy doing it for her is rather small)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 29, 2013, 05:04:01 pm »

Just watched the newest video. What the hell is she on about @http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=toa_vH6xGqs#t=1091s?
How do you equate ending a woman's suffering or "fighting what used to be a person" to domestic abuse? The heroes aren't fucking smacking down women because they're drunk or she didn't cook a roast. They aren't trying to tear the woman down psychologically or manipulate them, and 9/10 they only fight the now corrupted damsel as a last resort/because they have to. Is a fucking non sequiter.
domestic violence of women who have lost their senses not only appears justified but as an altruistic act done for the woman's own good.
Ignoring the fact that self defense/saving the world/ ending someone who is clearly suffering isn't abuse(Unless I need to fucking relearn what abuse is).
How the fuck is putting yourself through the pain of killing your love one to save yourself/the world not altruistic? They aren't killing their loved because they fucking feel like it, they're killing they're loved ones because they are in visible pain/ they don't have a choice in the matter.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:46:17 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 29, 2013, 05:09:39 pm »

How do you equate ending a woman's suffering or "fighting what used to be a person" to domestic abuse?

No... you are right, she just kind of entered crazy town at that point.

Ignoring the fact that self defense/saving the world/ ending someone who is clearly suffering isn't abuse

Hmm now where have I seen it before... Hmmm

I know! The scenes where someone is starting to panic in a dangerous situation so someone smacks them back to their senses.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 29, 2013, 05:16:45 pm »

Yeah.  It's usually a woman.

There's a big long line of psychological opinion, stemming from Freud, that woman are inherently unstable and emotionally labile.  It's called "hysteria" because it's, you know, from the uterus (see words like "hysterectomy," etc.).  It's a problematic portrayal to show women as being chronic freak-outers who have to be killed or smacked out of it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1522 on: May 29, 2013, 05:20:32 pm »

Where you have to save yourself after you have been kidnapped (after being trapped) by only using very stereotypically princess things like

Cooking
No
cleaning
No
singing
No

Good sir, I do think you do not princess at all. Get yo Disney outta here.

... I'm not... DJ is.

Wow, that was needlessly complicated >_>
He he, yeah I know, I was just seeing how far I could go with that tangent. Considered confusing you for critically acclaimed DJ Bosnia for a moment... A brief moment, but it was there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't see why there should be any negativity felt towards making such characters, those kinds of people exist in real life. Well, most aren't Knights. Although now that you mention it, there's an entire BDSM subculture revolving around subservient 'Knights' in the modern western world.

Chill, we've covered it.

Anyone seen 28 weeks later?
Spoiler: SPOILAS (click to show/hide)
So I think it'd be better if we talked about the points brought up by Bay12 until the newest vid, because honestly Vector should be the one making the series if anything.

Yeah and Freud was a penis.
I'll be here all week.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 29, 2013, 05:46:45 pm »

I do think you do not princess at all.

Princess Peach is always cooking... And Queen Celestia (Err Princess Celestia) of MLP is constantly... doing absolutely nothing (she is extremely lazy)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:52:03 pm by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1524 on: May 29, 2013, 06:05:52 pm »

I do think you do not princess at all.

Princess Peach is always cooking... And Queen Celestia (Err Princess Celestia) of MLP is constantly... doing absolutely nothing (she is extremely lazy)
1. Peach is a pretender to the throne.
2. Benevolent Celestia rules with strings behind the curtains. How can the people rebel when you have done 'nothing?'

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 29, 2013, 06:25:30 pm »

Why is it EXTREMELY common for Princess Rulers to just be master manipulators who pull the strings from behind the scenes?

Even Princess Peach is often revealed to be secretly a really great ruler (or heck capable of saving herself if she wanted to). Princess Zelda does nothing BUT manipulate people from behind the scenes.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 29, 2013, 06:38:48 pm »

Why is it EXTREMELY common for Princess Rulers to just be master manipulators who pull the strings from behind the scenes?

Even Princess Peach is often revealed to be secretly a really great ruler (or heck capable of saving herself if she wanted to). Princess Zelda does nothing BUT manipulate people from behind the scenes.
I'm pretty sure that's how royalty in media are portrayed in general. Not just princesses. When you can't afford to start a sword fight like a murder hobo, you have to trick murder hobos into doing your shit for you.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:21 pm »

Not princes, and often not kings.  Emperors, though... yes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1528 on: May 29, 2013, 06:45:00 pm »

Based Elizabeth I kept an extensive spy network through Sir Francis Walsingham to keep up with the thousands of Catholics who wanted her dead.
Considering how the British then later British'd all over the world map, that might explain a fair bit.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 29, 2013, 06:55:06 pm »

Also Iron Ladies (or men, for that matter) don't make good fictional rulers unless you're going for the evil type.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 277