Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303490 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1320 on: May 28, 2013, 06:19:58 pm »

I simply wanted to prevent this from being an argument with any foundation at all

That is kind of impossible.

The rule of thumb is if you share your opinion on youtube and disable comments, you are sending a message that you are afraid of people's comments and aren't that good (once again... It is taboo) even if you have a good reason.

In other words it is the universal sign of trashiness. It just isn't done.

There is nothing no one can do to remove that Taboo, so I just accept it as the side effect.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:22:03 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 28, 2013, 06:21:55 pm »

The cherry picking argument, Neon. The cherry picking argument. Only the cherry picking argument. Exclusively the cherry picking argument.

Saying it four times might prevent people from misunderstanding what I'm trying to say!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 28, 2013, 06:23:51 pm »

The cherry picking argument, Neon. The cherry picking argument. Only the cherry picking argument. Exclusively the cherry picking argument.

Saying it four times might prevent people from misunderstanding what I'm trying to say!

Well we all know the comments were Cherry Picked. The question is how much effort did it take.

Sure I am sure it was cherry picked... but if you put all the comments on posted notes and threw 20 darts and random and there is a GOOD chance that all of them are trollolololols... Yeah.

We are talking about the comments of her video right? >_<

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1323 on: May 28, 2013, 06:25:10 pm »

Because, as much as I would like to marginalize their importance, they are a very real part of culture. And apparently they represent no small part of the opposition to Sarkeesian.
They represent youtube's average poster.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They're like this for everyone.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 28, 2013, 06:59:51 pm »

Sorry, but that don't make it any more okay, or any less part of the culture of the modern world.

EDIT: Okay in the sense of "Not That Bad", not as in tacit admission of appropriateness. Sorry. Not at my most eloquent today.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:04:25 pm by Solifuge »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1325 on: May 28, 2013, 07:00:41 pm »

Sorry, but that don't make it any more okay, or any less part of the culture of the modern world.
Who's saying it's ok? I was talking of the latter point.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 28, 2013, 07:35:39 pm »

Refusing to provide a platform for others to speak is just... normal behaviour. There is no obligation to provide a venue.
Right and breaking up over the phone is perfectly normal behavior.
How unsurprising, a statement completely unrelated to anything I said in any way. Really, Neo, is this the best you can offer?

Anywho,
Finished watching the video. I thought it was actually pretty good, much better than the last one. I think she did a good job of touching on the potential impacts and reinforcing just how commonly used (in almost the exact same form) many of those tropes are. She had pretty good coverage, and pulled in elements from other media, and it ended up actually being pretty enjoyable and interesting to watch.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 28, 2013, 07:58:00 pm »

How unsurprising, a statement completely unrelated to anything I said in any way. Really, Neo, is this the best you can offer?

Aren't we talking about how comments are disabled on the videos?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:52 pm »

To which the fact that you broke up with your violently crazy girlfriend over the phone is completely unrelated.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 28, 2013, 08:07:54 pm »

As of few days ago Nintendo wasn't taking down any youtube videos at all, only forcing them to have ads and receiving the profit.  Which is a *huge* other discussion, I'm just saying Nintendo didn't do this.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:12 pm »

Why would I read the comments? Why would anyone read the comments? ._.
Because, as much as I would like to marginalize their importance, they are a very real part of culture. And apparently they represent no small part of the opposition to Sarkeesian.

[Citation needed]
If most of Sarkeesian's "opposition" was Youtube commenters, I think that would just be kind of sad. You'd think she could at least get some proper opposition. Maybe I'm hopelessly behind with the times, and Youtube comments suddenly became a legitimate channel of political expression while I wasn't looking, but I can't really bring myself to take them seriously.

As for the video itself, I have mixed feelings. I think I can basically understand the point she's trying to make, and I'm pretty sure I agree with it. Women in video games need rescuing WAY too often, and that probably says some things about our society. At the same time, I think her voice is annoying and that the videos are visually bland. And some specific things she says just sound like utter nonsense. Violent revenge narratives are about losing and then questing to regain your masculinity? Is she saying that revenge is inherently masculine behaviour, or that video games are implying that it is, or something else entirely? Are we even using the same definition of "masculinity"? ???

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 28, 2013, 08:16:17 pm »

Finished watching. So basically this is what the developer tries to say
She is dependent on him. That is how their dynamic works.
and this is what Anita hears
Women are dependant on men. This is how all dynamics work.

Once again, where a much better analysis of a problem could have been given, instead we are just told there is a problem and given example after example of anecdotal evidence. Being able to repeat "Your wife is murdered, and then you have to save your daughter" multiple times is an appeal to emotion, rather than reason.
Now what is sexist is the idea that women only exist to be victimized. That they only exist to be beaten and broken so that the guy can have his little character development. This is a bit of a problem in the industry, but it isn't a problem that is highlighted through anecdotal evidence like we were given.
The mere existence of the tropes explored is not a problem. There is nothing wrong with any single one of the examples given. It is the prevalence that is the problem. The fact that these are the only stories being told. Female disempowerment isn't a problem within a narrative, as long as you don't just decide that it must be the only way. The problem isn't the existence of this sort of narrative, the problem is the lack of anything else. As such, pointing out the existence of these tropes is meaningless.

It really is as if Anita wants video games to just not have "weaker" women, where all female characters are strong and independent. Bullshit. I want a gaming industry where we can actually have diversity within our characters, and can actually play with power dynamics in narrative to tell an interesting story. I want strong women, but I don't want only strong women, just like I want strong men, but I don't want only strong men. Once again, Tropes Vs. Women seems to say that the problem is with the existence of certain tropes, rather than the lack of others.

Also, I thought that scene from Wreck it Ralph was pretty awesome, rather that humorous. Well the absurdly huge gun hidden in the wedding dress was funny, but as a scene it was more awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:20 pm »

To which the fact that you broke up with your violently crazy girlfriend over the phone is completely unrelated.

No it is ENTIRELY related and the keystone to this whole conversation!

I was trying to highlight the irrational hatred of Anita banning video comments in the same way that someone would respond to you breaking up with someone over the phone.

Now what is sexist is the idea that women only exist to be victimized. That they only exist to be beaten and broken so that the guy can have his little character development. This is a bit of a problem in the industry, but it isn't a problem that is highlighted through anecdotal evidence like we were given

It is sort of the same problem she had in her first video. Her examples are weak and sometimes even dishonest.

It seems like the second video is going to be... the first video.

It really is as if Anita wants video games to just not have "weaker" women, where all female characters are strong and independent

I know what you mean. I know that isn't her intent, but with the way she uses her examples one could confuse the thesis with that.

Often it seems like she is just outright against the secondary role for women ever.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:29:47 pm by Neonivek »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1333 on: May 28, 2013, 08:22:31 pm »

I was confused about the Wreck-it-Ralph point too.

Anyway, near the end I thought she basically said "While individually each event in each game might make sense, the games are not in a vacuum, and the prevalence of the trope is the problem".
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 28, 2013, 08:39:20 pm »

In #2, I think she dropped the ball with the Fable II example. Early in the game you meet a strong female character who then seeks revenge for a murdered male character. This isn't some background character, she's the Hero of Strength.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 277