Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 303676 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1275 on: April 17, 2013, 03:34:35 pm »

In my introduction programming class I was doing rather well, so the professor's assistant asked me if I've taken a class on it before. I hadn't, so I said no. Then he asked me if I've learned it on my own before Uni, and I answered with no again because it really was the first time I studied the subject. He just gave me a look of total disbelief. It seems to me that teachers in general expect students to be idiots, and are shocked when they turn out half-competent. It was not an ethnicity thing, because the University was of my own ethnicity (yeah, we have education divided by ethnicity here).

As for questioning skills that I've been certified in, my Dad had zero faith in my driving skills after I had perfect score on the theory part and passed the driving part with flying colours. My siblings didn't get this, even though my brother actually failed the driving part the first time around because he forgot his seatbelt. The reason is simply because I was always the most insecure one.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 17, 2013, 03:39:45 pm »

I would personally put the driving thing to the side, as that's a familial, rather than societal relationship (just like I don't think my relatives who think me ludicrously incompetent are engaging in misogyny so much as personal spite); however, to the other: huh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 17, 2013, 03:42:28 pm »

Professors are used to talking down to people, so they'll sometimes keep doing it even when it's not necessary.  They also generally have no idea what is or isn't taught in highschool.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 17, 2013, 03:45:50 pm »

Oh, and almost forgot the lecturing bit. This one time I went with a friend from my class to meet a friend of his. Well, apparently my friend totally talked me up to his friend, regarding my programming skills, and the fact that I was working on a game. So this guy, who's pretty good with sound editing and photoshop, says we should make a game together and starts inquiring about what I'm working on. I explain what a roguelike is (I was making an URW clone), and he asks me with what I can only describe as disgust why I'm not making a 3D game. I start to explain how it's a lot more complicated, thanks to the physics (which I don't really have in a roguelike) etc., and the fact that I'm only a freshman in CompSci, and he gives me a half hour lecture on how easy it is based on his experience with a level editor for Quake2 or something like that.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 17, 2013, 04:25:33 pm »

I would personally put the driving thing to the side, as that's a familial, rather than societal relationship (just like I don't think my relatives who think me ludicrously incompetent are engaging in misogyny so much as personal spite); however, to the other: huh.

Personal experience is likely to be a huge contributor to impressions on this topic. In my own case, my parents enrolled me in a karate class at age 6. One of the instructors was a woman in probably her middle to late 30s. She was a third degree black belt and so far as I remember she wasn't treated any differently than any of the other instructors. We were expected to bow to her just like everyone else and she was just as capable of men also in her position. Grow up spending your Tuesday and Thursday nights bowing to a woman able to pick up guys 50 pounds heavier than she is and smash them into the ground and I guess it doesn't really occur to you to think of women as an inferior gender who need enforced equal representation to keep them from feeling bad.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 17, 2013, 04:47:57 pm »

I guess it doesn't really occur to you to think of women as an inferior gender who need enforced equal representation to keep them from feeling bad

It really doesn't occur to me either. I have a perfectionist high-achieving smart older sister and a young not so bright under achieving younger sister. I have the sister who would both scoff at the princess image and the other who said that she would rather be the princess then the queen. I have an older sister who always takes charge in a relationship and a younger sister who is equal partners in any relationship she is in (Freekishly her boyfriend is... a lot like me)

As far as I am concerned the issues are more with how they are represented then in equal representation (which will go up slowly over time anyhow and most of the games I play have both male and female characters in important positions almost equally).

Mostly because it is bad to the stories, characters, and is just generally disrespectful to pull some of the crud games have been pulling off.

------

NO Soul Calibur I am not interested in how you made everyone's boobs bigger and jiggle more... why are you using it like an advertisement? This isn't dead or alive volleyball. (They just all of a sudden started advertising their games based on... well... boobs. It was weird)

Why is Samus acting all helpless in Other M? Dang it creators why? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? Ignoring that you didn't show that at all outside of making her emotionless, why is she acting that way? Ahh right because "she is a woman and women react to stress by being helpless".

Why the HECK are they advertising the new Tomb Raider as a torture and rape filled game? The game is nothing like that! Are they intentionally creating controversy with vague hopes that it sells more copies? At least when Hitman did it, those Leather Nuns were in fact in the game and were just as stupid as in the commercials.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:52:49 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #1281 on: April 17, 2013, 09:11:37 pm »

I, too, am not sexist. Aren't I a great person!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 17, 2013, 09:17:36 pm »

I, too, am not sexist. Aren't I a great person!

Not really

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 28, 2013, 03:07:59 pm »

Part 2 is out. I'm about to watch it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 28, 2013, 03:52:52 pm »

It took that long? Good god.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 28, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »

I am kind of curious if she actually starts getting into her A material soon.

The first one was sort of meh but only because it felt like the introduction into a more meatier subject.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1286 on: May 28, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »

TRIGGER WARNING

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »

Well, it apparently violated the Terms of Service.  Wonderful.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: May 28, 2013, 04:33:52 pm »

That's because there were so many people hitting the report video button all at once. Free speech in action. ::)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1289 on: May 28, 2013, 04:39:21 pm »

That's because there were so many people hitting the report video button all at once. Free speech in action. ::)
Comments section: Locked
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 277