Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 277

Author Topic: Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'  (Read 304370 times)

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only two posts on 'Tropes vs Women in Video Games'
« Reply #945 on: April 11, 2013, 05:45:48 am »

Where does sexism toward men come from?  To clarify, I'm not asking for examples of sexism toward men.  I'm asking for the cause to be identified.
Mostly the idea that mens role is to work to support the family... Thus the pathetically low rate that men have any sort of custody of children in a divorce, in favor of paying child support. Our role is to provide and protect.
When the ship goes down, it is women and children first or you are a coward.
Throughout history, who has had the power to impose this system on men?

You shouldnt ask 'who' but 'what'.

nature, necessity and society forced it upon men. Men are disposable, women are not. To BE something, to BE important, a woman just has to be born. a Man has to DO something to earn his place.

The female mans-rights youtuber girlwriteswhat did a fantastic video on this very subject.

When the ship goes down, it is women and children first or you are a coward.

Trivia: This is entirely a myth.

Conveniently forgetting that in the event of a sinking ship, men are more likely survive bobbing about in the sea. (coincidentally, its the surviving in the sea part which kills most children/women. for all we know, they could have been the first ones off the ship, but later died in the ocean.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:48:25 am by kahn1234 »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 11, 2013, 05:58:40 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:07:12 pm by Ogdibus »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 11, 2013, 06:12:45 am »

Are feminists the ones who say 'Sucks for everybody, get over it!'?
Yes.
I don't quite understand what that article you linked has to do with the question and answer posted here.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 11, 2013, 06:14:47 am »

A mens rights speech gets protested by feminists. Just for being a mens rights speech. Yes, many feminists out there are willing to try and tell men to just deal with it.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:13 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:07:26 pm by Ogdibus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 11, 2013, 06:20:41 am »

Except that has nothing to do with the meeting agenda...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:37 am »

Trivia: This is entirely a myth.

It is an expression. There is still the expectation that men sacrifice themselves for the collective, especially in popular media. You can't be a 'real man' without a messiah complex.

Oh no, men are stereotyped as heroes with a very common heroic trait, the downside of which doesn't actually affect the real world situations it would be relevant in.

Conveniently forgetting that in the event of a sinking ship, men are more likely survive bobbing about in the sea. (coincidentally, its the surviving in the sea part which kills most children/women. for all we know, they could have been the first ones off the ship, but later died in the ocean.

Got it. Men are inherently much better at retaining body heat in freezing water, so much so that men swimming in freezing water have a higher survival rate than women in lifeboats. I'm learning so much in this thread!

If you actually read the study (linked in the article), you'll find that it's much more based on the captain's orders. I think it's safe to conclude that means who gets to the lifeboats. But maybe when the captain orders women and children be evacuated first it makes their skin more insulating and bolsters their swimming ability. Who knows?

A mens rights speech gets protested by feminists. Just for being a mens rights speech. Yes, many feminists out there are willing to try and tell men to just deal with it.

"Men’s issues’ groups ignore the poverty, racism, ableism, homophobia and transphobia that men and women face, and instead scapegoat the women’s movement and progressive movements in general." Sure sounds like "deal with it" to me!

Except that has nothing to do with the meeting agenda...

The guest speaker had nothing to do with the meeting agenda. The meeting that was a meeting to listen specifically to this guy. The guy who's pretty well known for being a misogynist and rape apologist.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28:04 am »

See this is kind of what I mean. A mens rights meeting gets protested, and the response is 'Well, that dosn't seem so bad! They should deal with it!'. You are doing that right now penguin.

That meeting wasn't even the same one that happened more recently on the 4th. I'm not saying woman rights aren't an issue, but we should be allowed to talk about mens rights too.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 11, 2013, 06:38:59 am »

I agree. What are those women thinking, being angry about somebody giving a 'rape is exciting' speech?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 11, 2013, 06:39:38 am »

See this is kind of what I mean. A mens rights meeting gets protested, and the response is 'Well, that dosn't seem so bad! They should deal with it!'. You are doing that right now penguin.

Man, you're reading an entirely different post than the one I wrote. Because I said you were completely misrepresenting the protestors' arguments and that the presence of Warren Farrell was the cause of the protest. I did not say any men's rights meeting was deserving of protest.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 11, 2013, 06:40:18 am »

I agree. What are those women thinking, being angry about somebody giving a 'rape is exciting' speech?
Mens rights speech. He must be defending rapists. Clearly.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 11, 2013, 06:41:25 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:07:49 pm by Ogdibus »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 11, 2013, 06:42:13 am »

You were the one who linked that article, you know. I'm just assuming it's a good/trustworthy one.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 11, 2013, 06:43:35 am »

Well, there were those quotes.
You mean the quotes by the feminist group protesting?
If I form a group to protest a womans rights meeting, and say "They are saying men are the cause of all evil and blah blah you get the idea!" does that make it ok?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 277