Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 108

Author Topic: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Game Over  (Read 200263 times)

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Night 5
« Reply #945 on: May 18, 2013, 09:38:54 am »

Snuff Dariush All
I don't like how throughout the game he's been trying to get all his candles lit.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 6
« Reply #946 on: May 18, 2013, 10:07:57 am »

For the pleasure of the stupidest:
Red flame = unsnuffable.
No wick = unlightable.
Shattered = what we should be trying to solve, you dumbfucks.
Haha. It's funny because you're calling us dumb when there's three votes. Man, we're totally not paying attention. Good job, douchebag.

Why would I be worried about one candle shattering when there is a significant problem. Solifuge said that we were about to lose, and THAT doesn't register with you? The candle shattering happened after that. The storm? The storm is and WAS brewing. Apparently, you don't realize this. So, the shattering is either RELATED to Okami, who was advocating for all of our Teals yesterday, or it's an entirely different problem that is NOT looming over us today. As soon as three candles shatter at once, you can alert me.

So, THAT'S why we're not focusing on it today. We're a little more preoccupied with, you know, the fact that we ALMOST LOST? Solifuge isn't a part of the list, so there's no reason to fear him. You, however, ARE on the list! Wow, how surprising! So, you can attempt to shift focus away from the actual problem, but you're wrong.

If you've got any ideas about the shattered candle, bring it up, but I do not trust you, Tiruin, Vector, Okami, or Onyxjew. Y'all are something, and it's something worse. Vector will follow me for a bit. It's what she does as scum. She's not going to be directly confrontational about things. You will. That's how you roll. You've already realized that following me won't dissuade people from voting Okami. Tiruin is similar to you. She's trying to divert attention away from Okami, but not as directly. Vector's just looking for the right time to shift. She needs someone to bring up something that LOOKS worse than Okami, which is what she's hoping for with this shattering thing.

But I WILL NOT let Okami live today. I will do everything in my power to make sure all of his candles are snuffed. Every single one.

Fuck. I totally missed the Vector's candle had a red flame too.

Unvote.
Doesn't matter. It's not the fact that it has a red flame. It's the power behind it. He has the power to light every Teal that everyone's voting. He uses this power the same time as Solifuge receives words from the gods warning him about imminently losing. I unvote my Teal. We do not lose.

His gods are all of them. Teals bring you closer to the gods. I swear, you all have NO IDEA how to play puzzle games. It's RIGHT THERE. Those two points? They are literally right next to each other. They are so closely related it's ridiculous. Are you going to let that pass you by?

I'd like to prod you on these thoughts first. Why do you think I'm a cultist or whatever else? Because I'm not voting Okami, huh.

Well, tell you what--the only notice of a red fire? That happened to the end lynch/light/snuff during Day 5 too, so I didn't attribute that to Okami directly then.

Check it, handsome.

Nextly, read what I say before shouting your mouth off--I appreciate the level of thought you've got there, but you're jumpy; jumpy in the way that you see information more as a trading tool than a general aid.

I stated my case on why I didn't light my teal yesterday, hopefully you'd have checked before shouting your mouth off. I'll state it again (because darn do you sound grumpy): Here. While it doesn't go along your mode of thought like 'OMG CATCH!', it was suspicious in the way it was presented.

Information, for a vote.

Pretty simple, given that he's an Elder Priest role--he said something about breaking balance. Okami: Clarify please. Balance?

Nope, I don't think we should put him under probation.  I think we should kill him.  We don't have time to waste dicking around with our teals when we have scum to kill.
Agreed. I only meant that it might be giving the scum power or something. Locking us out of lighting our teals can't be all there is to it. For all I know, it might be why there were able to destroy rather than simply snuff candles last night.

Something or somebody is changing the way the game works, and I don't know who or why. That reminds me of Rysith's semibastard more than bellsounder...there has to be a rhyme or reason to it...

Since Tiruin helped out the high priest, I don't think we have a good idea of how bad things really are. (I don't have a good reason to doubt Tiruin's action, since the HP was in a bad way before, and he seems to be much better now)
Let me detail what I got from helping the High Priest. I'm not sure if it helped or not.

I prayed to Nirian, beseeching her to relieve his torment. A sense of comfort and approval filled the area for a few minutes, followed by me feeling good and sleeping a nice night of feeling that I've done something good.

Hooray. [Rysith's semi-what?]

And didn't anybody, even the best-and-brightest Wuba, manage to connect the 'what is done will not be undone' with the fact that lit candles became a different colour? Nobody? At all? Reallly? Oh my god you suck.
...Shattered candle, for one. I've been prodding it since when it was mentioned.

Firstly, candles can't be changed--but the strange part is, the effects of said candles seem to stem from their wick (indicating the fuel source...which means its not the candles that are holy/divine [acting only as color codes], but the wicks that fuel them).

Why I'm prodding Nerjin and the rest for their powers, Webadict, and mostly everyone else interested? Its a new day, its a new time. People's powers have changed. Come tell me that there's still a hell lot to hide.

Webadict: You can curse my name for eternity for asking you this, but please answer it. Why are you acting so uppity about people requesting for information? Do you see it as a threat?

...You've gone all uppity at the apparent dawn of today, why is that?

So we've got three choices. We all know that being in the healing hall seemingly clears the player from the game--why aren't we snuffing Ottofar's white anymore? It isn't that pale ivory color like yesterday, it seems.

Snuff Ottofar's White Candle.

Okami, report on that Balance bit regarding the new day please.

Web, Nerjin, what do you think about the Teal candles--we're the only people left without them lit!

Also, let me round about your question to you Webadict, why didn't you light your Teal yesterday?
I said exactly 4 names for Cultists: Tiruin, Vector, Dariush, and Onyxjew. Okami himself said them out loud. Why is this surprising? I mean...

The exact situation happened in BYOR 4.

The real question is who cares about red flames? Red flames mean nothing. It's the Teals that mean something. THE TEALS. The red means nothing. It's a permanence that changed with The Switch. Just like the missing wicks. It changed with The Switch.

I give the information that is necessary and keep the information that is safety. If you do not know my power, my god, my information, you cannot predict my actions. You have no ability to keep me on reigns. I trade information because I deal information. It's a powerful commodity in a game where you're a solitary being. I cannot trust anyone, so if I give away al of my information, I am as good as dead. I cannot give you my information, because then you cannot know me.

You think I'm jumpy? Good. Me too. Because maybe nobody else is noticing patterns. I'm making sure we all start throwing attention at the patterns. GODS. TEALS. OKAMI. See that pattern? Because it's PRETTY GOD DANG OBVIOUS. I get uppity because I get to spend these Nights thinking about information, and when I'm finally able to post, I need to release it all, and hope people pick up on it.

So why am I supposed to believe Okami is good? Because he's an Elder Priest? That makes him more likely to be scum in my book, not less. Anyone that has a different type of role is more likely to be scum.

I didn't light my Teal yesterday because I did not like Solifuge's warning. His warning came after Okami suggested lighting your Teals, and I didn't like the two. I only realized later that Okami's gods were all of them, and combining this with the Teals description being "brings you closer to the gods," the most logical answer was that Okami wants all the Teals lit. This is a LOSS condition clearly as Okami has not brought up this win condition, so Okami is scum.

So, I refuse to light my Teal, and I REFUSE to let Okami live. I'm the only thing standing between total loss and this moment, and that's going to make me incredibly jumpy.

But, as I read your refusal to light your Teal, why are you not just as afraid of Okami? You seemed to distrust him yesterday, but that doesn't seem like the case today.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 18, 2013, 10:58:34 am »

For the pleasure of the stupidest:
Red flame = unsnuffable.
No wick = unlightable.
Shattered = what we should be trying to solve, you dumbfucks.
Haha. It's funny because you're calling us dumb when there's three votes. Man, we're totally not paying attention. Good job, douchebag.
Haha. It's funny because you're being a hypocrite, discarding the very quote you quoted because I didn't notice there were three votes.
Why would I be worried about one candle shattering when there is a significant problem.
Oh, you're entirely correct. No need to worry about a new game mechanic that is pretty much guaranteed to be scum-sided and will probably prevent us from ever doing anything with the candles they choose to shatter again. Let's instead focus on a random quote that in no way describes what's causing the loss, when will it happen, how can we prevent it and so on some cretin said.

Now, I'm going to take a deep breath and say a short prayer, hoping without any real possibility of the thing I am praying for happening that you will pull your shit-stained piece of slime you call your brain out of your ass and answer a single question. If the four people you named are cultists, and Ottofar is not, why is everyone except him getting scentflips that are identical to their claims, while Ottofar got a HEY-LOOK-I-AM-SCUM darkness shit that in no way corresponded to his claimed Avos? Or his HEY-LOOK-I-AM-SCUM ability? Yep, you're stupid. Very, very stupid. And probably scum, for that matter.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 18, 2013, 11:31:37 am »

Alright, let me make a small contribution.

All the people who started with their green candles lit have had minor abilities, which had little to no power towards winning the game. It makes sense that the most powerful and useful abilities would start unlit, like Vector's candle inspect.

The two reasons I bring this up are:
1. It's odd for Okami to have something as useful as a straight-up alignment inspect. That's why I've been asking him for the flavor on his ability. He has yet to respond at all, frustratingly enough. He seemed pro-town enough before, but at this moment, I have to agree with Webadict that he's incredibly suspicious.

2. Losing Solifuge's green candle before we even found out what it does could have been disastrous. I don't think we can afford to lose more of them without at least finding out what they do.

My own new ability is pathetic, and it's also closely related to my old ability. I don't think lighting Toaster or Dariush's green candle is nearly as important as lighting, say, Remuthra's or NQT's.

Webadict: What is suspicious about Okami not being close to any god in particular?

PPE: Dariush
while Ottofar got a HEY-LOOK-I-AM-SCUM darkness shit that in no way corresponded to his claimed Avos?
He had lantern oil as his scent both times. His flame only got sucked back into his candle the first time. The second time it was a normal snuffing.

Also, for what it's worth, Vector's candles had two different scents.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 18, 2013, 11:44:03 am »

EBWOP
Webadict: What is suspicious about Okami not being close to any god in particular?
This question is dumb. I had a better question but forgot about it since work distracted me.

Better question: Why is there no reason for someone to be special? Isn't the high priest special? Aren't we all special for having our own gods we are closest to?
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 18, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »

Oh, you're entirely correct. No need to worry about a new game mechanic that is pretty much guaranteed to be scum-sided and will probably prevent us from ever doing anything with the candles they choose to shatter again. Let's instead focus on a random quote that in no way describes what's causing the loss, when will it happen, how can we prevent it and so on some cretin said.

Now, I'm going to take a deep breath and say a short prayer, hoping without any real possibility of the thing I am praying for happening that you will pull your shit-stained piece of slime you call your brain out of your ass and answer a single question. If the four people you named are cultists, and Ottofar is not, why is everyone except him getting scentflips that are identical to their claims, while Ottofar got a HEY-LOOK-I-AM-SCUM darkness shit that in no way corresponded to his claimed Avos? Or his HEY-LOOK-I-AM-SCUM ability? Yep, you're stupid. Very, very stupid. And probably scum, for that matter.
Oh man. Dariush is attempting to think. Clear the area, folks! Last time that happened was never!

So, I guess the real question is... How did Ottofar smash the candle? Or, I guess, you know, the bigger question is how do you KNOW Ottofar smashed the candle? Because, the way I see it, it's just as likely that Okami smashed the candle. The only way you could know Okami didn't smash it is, you know, you're on Okami's team. Which, of course, leads to the whole how did you get onto Okami's team.

Also, just a borrow from Ford for a bit.
Also, for what it's worth, Vector's candles had two different scents.

Vector's White Candle, however, is not. A stream of smoke trails off of it, and the scent of wet ink tingles your noses.
Vector's Green Candle is out, and trailing a thin line of smoke. A faint scent of dust fills the air.
Thank you, Ford. I did not catch that.

Ottofar's smell remained constant, however.
Ottofar's flame seems to suck itself back into the candle, leaving only a thick trail of smoke with a scent that reminds you of lantern oil.
  You cast your votes. One again, Ottofar's White candle snuffs out leaving a faint scent of lantern oil

So, basically, shouldn't the smells remain the same if Vector maintained her alignment? And you know WHO can switch alignments? A cult. And you know WHO claimed they action people instead of candles? Okami.

Alright, now I can move on to someone who's not irrational.

Everything. Nobody else has this. It's an oddity. It's the same reason I disliked Ottofar's ability. My ability, my god, they followed the same patterns as other people, but then all of a sudden, this guy's doesn't. Ottofar's didn't. Why should Okami be different?

These are pieces that fit together.

Better question: Why is there no reason for someone to be special? Isn't the high priest special? Aren't we all special for having our own gods we are closest to?
No. We aren't special, because we fit into the pattern. We follow a set of guidelines, and he breaks several of them. This is cause for concern. I mean, take another look at Day 5 flavor.

A great weight fills the air as you enter the Great Chamber. Energy crackles around the High priest, bolts of color crackling in the glow that surrounds him. As you draw near he looks up. Tears of blood stream from his eyes.

"The gods are close." he whispers. "I see eyes staring down upon me. The firmament cracks around us. The power...is...great. Your votes matter more. What is done will not be undone!"

His eyes close, and he slumps a bit in the air. Attempts to call to him get no response.

The gods are close. Okami is the one with the closest ties to gods, right? He used a power to light as many Teals as he could. This is like, A to B to C simplicity, here. He wants the Teals. He claims to worship all the gods. Teals are related to how close to the gods you are. Gods. Gods. Gods! I swear, you guys can never take hints. WHY DO YOU PLAY PUZZLE GAMES IF YOU CAN'T LOOK AT HINTS?!?

Combine this with a quote I found on accident:
Also, back when you called yourself an Elder Priest, you also called yourself a miller. That doesn't make a lot of sense when you're the one with the alignment inspect. What did you mean by that?
A miller. So, not only is he, apparently, SUPER SPECIAL, but he's also a miller. There's just way too many problems with his story.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 18, 2013, 12:17:32 pm »

Webadict: Both times Ottofar had a candle snuffed, it was his white candle. Vector has had her white and green snuffed.

Also, the candles being snuffed now lose their wicks and no longer give off scents at all. I didn't initially notice that Ottofar's green candle ended up the same was as Soli's white, so I guess the old candle snuffing ability is about the same.

Nerjin: I'll ask you outright, are you the one who has been snuffing candles at night?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Temple (Bastard game) - Day 2
« Reply #952 on: May 18, 2013, 12:48:42 pm »

Webadict: Both times Ottofar had a candle snuffed, it was his white candle. Vector has had her white and green snuffed.
Not good enough.

What about the fact that Toaster and Vector's gods are the same? Derala.

First you see that Toaster's Green Candle has been extinguished, a thin trail of smoke emanating from it. A faint wiff of incense is upon the air.
Then why doesn't Vector's candle smell like Toaster's?

Assuming candles should smell the same from the same god, right? And that smells do not change? Then why is it that Ottofar's remained the same, but Vector's and Toaster's do not match? Toaster's green and Vector's green are not the same, yet they should be, should they not?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 18, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »

Candles could give off one of multiple scents representing different aspects of the deity.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 18, 2013, 12:55:24 pm »

Candles could give off one of multiple scents representing different aspects of the deity.
No. That's incredibly unlikely, as Dariush's gave off rain and wet earth, which is two aspects. I am still going off that candles ONLY give off one predetermined smell.

Besides the fact that RNG is the STUPIDEST reason. It literally solves nothing in a puzzle. Might as well say it was magic.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 18, 2013, 02:16:20 pm »

There have been zero hints in the flavor at there being a cult. I mean zero. And it really doesn't make sense in this context. None of the information we've received about the gods of Morsadis even hints at the idea they could be dominating us, and there's no way they're converting any of us. They're trying to defeat us, plain and simple.

The only evidence you seem to have is Okami's list of targets, and the different scents from Vector's candles. Without more data, the scents are a dead end at this point, and if they're not a red herring then they might as well be.

Solifuge never answered my question about who he thought was responsible for the sudden shift in the game, and I'm wondering if that wasn't part of why he was targeted in the night.

If we can no longer change candles after they are lit or snuffed, then I don't think we can afford to light any candles unless someone is confirmed scum. (Kind of a change in my opinion)

Vector: Do you think your hint was telling you that we're looking for one scum with two candles lit and one scum with three candles lit? At the time you got that response, only 3 people had three candles lit: You, Okami and Onyxjew (and unfortunately everyone else had two candles lit).

Did you get the warning "the storm is not yet broken" at the start of the day?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 18, 2013, 02:36:37 pm »

Look, here's a chart with the scents laid out:

As far as I can tell, every candle has a unique scent. We've got three candles from the same goddess with three different scents.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 18, 2013, 03:03:54 pm »

I do not trust Okami, regardless.

Meph/High Priest/Whoever, I Don't Care:
Are there traitors among us or are there spies among us or are there both?
Are we allowed to vote for candles with no wicks?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 18, 2013, 03:07:13 pm »

Hmm... All gods have two worshippers except for Avos, who apparently has four. This seems suspicious.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 18, 2013, 03:27:58 pm »

...and this is exactly why I created a chart. Because some people seriously haven't figured this out yet.

Yes, there are four claimed Avos worshippers, and I strongly suspect that Wuba is Telmorin because of the things Ranger said. He might be Andoras, but what's more interesting to me is that the Derala and Nirian worshippers are right next to each other.

Notice that the names were originally in alphabetical order, and when Ranger subbed out, Meph did not rearrange the list to put Web in alphabetical order.

That's why I was so strongly suspicious of Nerjin being Andoras -- it would have put him right next to Dariush, the only claimed Andoras worshipper, and it would have made for two of every god except Avos (and Telmorin).

THAT RIGHT THERE is a good reason to have one special player, Wuba. 2 players of each of the 5 gods, 2 traitors of each of the morasadis gods, and 1 elder priest.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 108