Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarven Architecture  (Read 22567 times)

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Architecture
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2013, 06:42:01 am »

@Centrigrade

beautifully done, if slightly excessive.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2013, 07:10:37 am »

@Centrigrade

beautifully done, if slightly excessive.

Squares are the art. Suffer not the octogone.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2013, 08:09:24 am »

hmm, im starting to notice most ppl like to build alot on 1 Z level. Am i the only one who hates using planar space too much?

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2013, 08:23:24 am »

hmm, im starting to notice most ppl like to build alot on 1 Z level. Am i the only one who hates using planar space too much?
Most of my fort spans several z-levels, but since a single room can only be designated on one z-level you're stuck with having a lot of space used up by your dining hall.

When realizing that, I just went ahead and made a huge thing that should never need to be expanded. In my design, the four single-staircases lead up and down through several layers of decentralized stockpiles.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2013, 07:47:03 pm »

I feel painfully inadequate now. All of my forts look NOTHING like what i see here, most of them are pretty much random as i go, no waterfalls, no windmills because i have no clue how to work the power system. Good Armok i need to play this game more and get better.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2013, 10:18:19 pm »

I feel painfully inadequate now. All of my forts look NOTHING like what i see here, most of them are pretty much random as i go, no waterfalls, no windmills because i have no clue how to work the power system. Good Armok i need to play this game more and get better.
Get better? At a sandbox game? Do you even lift imaginate?

Poor references at memes aside, truly dwarven forts are holes in the ground hastily dug out with no sense of aesthetics or efficiency, and barely clinging to life as perils of zambies, goblins, and dwarven stupidity assault the hand crafted rough-sand walls from all sides. Go check out the !!DRUNKFORTRESS!! succession fortress for the ultimate dwarf experience.

Anyway, time I contribute to this thread. Behold, the half-finished mess that is Axehole the not-so-starfort-like star-fort!

Spoiler: The farms and resevoir (click to show/hide)

Will add further interesting details in later posts. I'm pleased with the design, in terms of military-esque design there's many chokepoints and it uses space efficiently while still having interesting shapes.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »

Looks more like a tombstone than a star. Creepy.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2013, 01:05:48 am »

Isn't every fortress a sprawling tombstone though?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2013, 01:59:15 am »

Yes, but even dwarves usually don't build the overarching layout of their fortresses to look like a tombstone when viewed from above.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2013, 01:51:18 pm »

I've been toying with the idea to make real "mountain halls" with each working z-level actually have about 10-15 Z of empty ceiling above it, spaced with pillars and leaving nooks along high walls with statues ect. Would certainly keep my doctors busy with all the channeling, and also give almost zero idle dwarves. I'm just not sure about the exact layout and how caverns might interfere. Mass channeling jobs also annihilate my FPS.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2013, 02:39:14 pm »

How the heck would you channel that properly from the top? I have enough trouble doing a 2 z-level dining room with a throne, and only a 20/60 at that.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2013, 08:52:29 pm »

...I never noticed that. Kinda awesome.

On graph paper it looked more square, I suspect the more rectangular tile-set made it come out more, y'know, tombstoney.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2013, 01:48:58 am »

How the heck would you channel that properly from the top? I have enough trouble doing a 2 z-level dining room with a throne, and only a 20/60 at that.

It just requires adequate planning, that's all.

1. Decide how many z-levels you want between the floor and ceiling, and how broad you want the base of the room to be.
2. Find a space underground that fits the required dimensions. To mark the space, designate the outline of the base of the chamber.
3. Make a decision about various features of the room that will need to be carved out over the course of excavation, for example: pillars, buttresses, interior structures, the slope of the walls if the ceiling is a different width than the floor, etc. If necessary, designate the outlines of these structures to remind yourself of their placement later on.
4. Dig out the topmost level.
5. Channel out the floor, and dig outward if the level you are excavating is wider than the one beneath it.
6. Repeat step 5 until you reach the bottom floor.

This method can be used to dig out caverns of any size or shape, provided you are patient enough. However, as mobucks observed, accidents happen. In my experience, miners in these projects tend to possess high mortality rates, especially when surrounded by dozens of raw stone boulders per tile (cave-ins cause dust explosions which blast the stones into the miners... the results are not pretty). Also, FPS is of course a concern.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2013, 02:43:39 am »

So in a situation like that spending time to clear the floor in-between digging levels might be a good idea. Generally you want to make damn sure your dorfs have finished off the above level before designating the next round of channelling. That might prove to be extra handy if you decide to smooth walls...
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2013, 02:44:53 am »

Woah, that's great. Especially that design of noble rooms is very clever. Three rooms but doesn't consume much space. For normal bedrooms, I usually make 1x4 sized rooms with door, bed, coffer and cabinet to everyone but nobles.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7