Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Dwarven Architecture  (Read 22571 times)

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Architecture
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:46 am »

@ Matoro
Which one are you referring to? There are a whole lot of architectural wangs diagrams being swung displayed on this topic.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2013, 06:39:32 pm »

@ Matoro
Which one are you referring to? There are a whole lot of architectural wangs diagrams being swung displayed on this topic.
I think he was talking about my nobles quarters. They get a dining room, an office, and a bedroom all in a 5x5 space.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2013, 01:47:55 pm »

@ Matoro
I think he was talking about my nobles quarters. They get a dining room, an office, and a bedroom all in a 5x5 space.

This, combined with the multi-level rooms, has made me want to designate a large room that is about 3Z tall, and has "loft" style elevated support rooms all inside the main room.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »

How the heck would you channel that properly from the top? I have enough trouble doing a 2 z-level dining room with a throne, and only a 20/60 at that.

It just requires adequate planning, that's all.

1. Decide how many z-levels [...]
2. Find a space [...]
3. Make a decision [...]
4. Dig out the topmost level.
5. Channel out the floor, and dig outward if the level you are excavating is wider than the one beneath it.
6. Repeat step 5 until you reach the bottom floor.

This method can be used to dig out caverns of any size [...]

I disagree.  I've recently started mining large amounts of ice for a project.  In the past I dug as you discribed above and I've had to micromanage the digging.  Although it's no big deal as I've yet to see a dwarf seriously injured from channeling the square his standing on.

Instead I suggest that all dig orders be ramps and not channels.  You only have to be careful about digging ramps under trees.  In my case I designate ramps every other level.  This removes stone at twice the rate because a ramp digs out the square above as well.  This wont work for making caverns unless you are okay with colapsing the floors (just dig out the edge squares, but be careful).  If you are okay with colapsing floors your dig rate will be about twice normal.  The floors will also prevent accidental cave-ins from dwarves mining in screwy patterns.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2013, 07:20:39 pm »

At least back in 40d, I found designating the entire volume to be excavated as stairs and then channeling one z-level at a time to be an effective and safe method. The various mining changes that have come into being since that release may have changed things a bit, though.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:52 pm »

How the heck would you channel that properly from the top? I have enough trouble doing a 2 z-level dining room with a throne, and only a 20/60 at that.

It just requires adequate planning, that's all.

1. Decide how many z-levels [...]
2. Find a space [...]
3. Make a decision [...]
4. Dig out the topmost level.
5. Channel out the floor, and dig outward if the level you are excavating is wider than the one beneath it.
6. Repeat step 5 until you reach the bottom floor.

This method can be used to dig out caverns of any size [...]

I disagree.  I've recently started mining large amounts of ice for a project.  In the past I dug as you discribed above and I've had to micromanage the digging.  Although it's no big deal as I've yet to see a dwarf seriously injured from channeling the square his standing on.

Instead I suggest that all dig orders be ramps and not channels.  You only have to be careful about digging ramps under trees.  In my case I designate ramps every other level.  This removes stone at twice the rate because a ramp digs out the square above as well.  This wont work for making caverns unless you are okay with colapsing the floors (just dig out the edge squares, but be careful).  If you are okay with colapsing floors your dig rate will be about twice normal.  The floors will also prevent accidental cave-ins from dwarves mining in screwy patterns.

Ramps are indeed a useful tool for many situations, but for excavating large vertical caverns, their usefulness is secondary, I think, to channeling. As you note, ramps (under optimal circumstances) excavate stone twice as fast, but in any excavation project deeper than two z-levels, they leave you with broad floors which must be either collapsed or chipped away at one tile at a time - both processes are potentially fatal to miners.

In a situation where you are digging out a cavern one level at a time, choosing ramps or channels is ultimately a personal choice - either you designate a layer to be dug out directly or from the z-level above. I find, however, that in these sorts of projects it is easier to channel, since you have a direct reference to the already existing cavern outline, without having to constantly reference the z-level above the one you are designating.

As far as channelling-related injuries - these occur primarily when digging out a 3-dimensional area that contains pre-dug passages, such as mines or exploratory tunnels. Paying close attention to the ramifications of digging out areas before your miners get to work is a valuable habit for any fortress planner to have, and most mining accidents on my watch tend to happen when I am not paying close attention, or trying to rush a project, or both. To anyone who plans a project of such magnitude, I would recommend not cutting corners to save time.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2013, 11:58:14 am »

I've started my main hall. 15 z levels deep, 20 wide on each side of a central staircase, with constructed pillars and outer walls. The last mass channel fort I had was a pretty big project and I only lost one miner to regular channeling.  Lots of cuts and scrapes though, but it was useful to keep my doctors sharp. No injuries this fort so far, but I'm only 2 z's into it.

ToxicFyre

• Bay Watcher
  • Existence is Futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »

Hello, these are photos from my second fortress that is still up and running. As you probably guessed I am a newbie, so this is also an opportunity to know if something is horribly wrong. XD

This is the entrance to the fortress. When goblins attack, the lever next to the trade depot is raised
 forcing attackers to go through my trap room on the left. The central area is from where everything is accessed, and where my troops will fight off the remaining invaders.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is my Long-Term stockpile, where everything that won't be immediately used (along with excess materials) is dumped here. Trade goods are also here to be readily accessed for caravans.

Next up is the workshop, I divide my workshop stations into three sections Short-Term Storage, workshops and direct product storage. My idle dwarves run around moving stuff for the crafter, while my workshop crafters can just continue crafting non-stop.

Finally there is my meeting room/dining room with the noble's quarters right next to it (to be built on request). As this was one of the first things I made I wasn't aware that it wasn't good for dwarves to make friends, it seems everyone are buddies now. XD

I haven't received any of the more important nobles, but as I have tons of gold I'll just fill my fortress with it until they arrive. :D
Thanks for your time, I hope I don't get any sieges now as the enemies can just pool into my living quarters, but for a second fortress I am happy. :D

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2013, 06:10:30 am »

@ ToxicFrye

that is quite a nice fortress design you have going there.

i especially enjoy the aesthetic value of your seperation of the different industries into seperate sectors.
i usually just dig out a single room, fill it with all the workshops and dig a path straight to storage for them.

for maximum dwarven happiness, i recommend the creation of dedicated bedrooms for your dwarves to sleep and have furniture they can call their own.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2013, 12:33:58 pm »

Hm. I'll toss my old fort in here, from the days of 40d glory. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4062-reinhammers

I think I may actually finish it, if I ever get the time. I don't play DF (or any games, since I'm usually busy coding) much these days, and starting a new fortress from scratch would be... impractical.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »

Hm. I'll toss my old fort in here, from the days of 40d glory. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4062-reinhammers

Dat ASCII skull is beautiful. My eyes wept tears of awe, and my awed tears wept tears of awesome.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2013, 08:47:38 am »

my completed fortress, for the time being only

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-30369-entrancepassagewayandbarracks

Behold Delethurvad, in all its glory!

DethBrand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2013, 07:02:54 am »

I think I may actually finish it, if I ever get the time. I don't play DF (or any games, since I'm usually busy coding) much these days, and starting a new fortress from scratch would be... impractical.
That should have had an LP as well. ='(

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2013, 10:26:52 am »

There's a lot of fancy stuff going on here, so I'm about to balance it the other way.
My forts never last long, they either get necromancer'd (army troubles, usually) or I dislike the design or just want to try out a new design.
And here's a fort that doesn't particularly represent any great achievement, but it does have the main idea of what I try to achieve.

The room on the left is the barracks (note archery targets in use!).
Due to anecdotal evidence that marksdwarfs train better when the target is in the barrack I've cut alcoves into the walls for targets. Looking at this design I realise I might use it later for a dining hall/bedroom combo, with the main barrack being the dining hall and each alcove being a bedroom.
At top is the trade depot, in the near future I'll be giving it its own exit with bridge.

But the main point is how I spread out the stockpiles.
I've tried 7x7 rooms with a workshop in the middle, I've tried workshops on one layer with stockpiles below and I've tried a central through-way with workshops on the side and then stockpiles behind or under the workshops. The last one was nice, it had a bit of a busy mountain hall feel about it, but I realised that big open space took too long to carve out, especially in rock, and was completely unproductive.
I tried filling it with statue gardens, zoos, tombs, dining rooms, but the logistics of that didn't quite work out.

So then I stuck the stockpiles in the through-way! And for now, I'm happy.

(A z-level above the barracks on the left is the entrance which is encircled by a guard house. My defences are pretty rubbish, but for now I'm focusing on getting a functional army up and running as soon as possible. Once I master that I'll move on to the more exciting designs. I build the guard house from logs as soon as I arrive; the idea is to get a system going that I know will work for the more Fun! fortress locations.
On the other levels I have bedrooms, dining halls, etc., but they're not worth showing.
I am yet to find any ores.)
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2013, 11:51:30 pm »

Dohoho my friend, don't forget your other credits. http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-12654-initialwagon  A good portion of Lancerworked was your masterminding.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7