Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarven Architecture  (Read 22594 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Architecture
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 02:17:10 pm »

Isn't that crazy bad for FPS?

Grand avenues? Probably.

BUT WITHOUT GRAND AVENUES, WHERE WILL THE SOLDIERS MARCH??

HAUSSMANN RENNOVATIONS FOR ALL FORTRESSES!

my brain tells me its inefficent and bad

but my OCD say "YES!!! YES!!! MOAR!!"

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 03:19:59 pm »

Isn't that crazy bad for FPS?

Grand avenues? Probably.

BUT WITHOUT GRAND AVENUES, WHERE WILL THE SOLDIERS MARCH??

HAUSSMANN RENNOVATIONS FOR ALL FORTRESSES!

my brain tells me its inefficent and bad

but my OCD say "YES!!! YES!!! MOAR!!"

DO WANT.

I may do this. Except I'll designate a pretty design before I actually figure out where things go.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 07:14:23 pm »

I guess I may as well show off Leaguewinds.
you seem to be lacking roofs for all that above-ground area, what if a flying titan made of steel with deadly dust/deadly gas came along?

also, you keep all your corpses on the outside, what if a necromancer came along?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2013, 07:27:50 am »

i usually watch LPs foe interesting and esthtic desgins but there's some really good one's here too

btw anyone got schematics for a water cistren with pressur plate, i've got no idea how it's suposed to work

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 07:29:58 am »

≈≈≈≈≈ - infinite source of water
═╗≈╔═ - wall to channel out after construction
 ╠F╣  - shutoff floodgate (linked to exterior lever)
 ║#║  - 1-tile drawbridge (linked to pressure plate)
 ║p┼  - pressure plate (set to 7-7 water), and access door
 ╠F╣  - floodgate (linked to pressure plate)
 ╚═╝

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Repeater

the cistern is at the end of the floodgate(not shown here, you have to make a room)

i highly reccommend against anything water based though, it kills your fps

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2013, 04:24:18 am »

Dwarven architecture huh? Well, I can't say that what I've built so far is up to snuff, but I'll try.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That large area on the left is the old fortress. The 160 or so dwarves lived there for about 6-7 years before the move to the new fortress began. The large circle on the right with the opening is the entrance to the new fortress shaft, which I affectionally call the Zion shaft, inspired by the Matrix movies.
In the old fortress, every dwarf had 2x2 bedrooms, fully engraved walls and floors, and one iron cabinet to their name.
Littered outside are all the dead goblins who dared attack us over the years, along with their blood.
The old fortress is hugely unappealing, which is why I'm not showing it.

The first floor of the Zion shaft is the finished goods stockpile, with a steel Trade Depot placed at the rear of the cavern. Its impossible to see, but the floor is fully smoothed. 2 steel bridges with 5 steel statues welcome all traders and/or migrants to the fortress. The military barracks are right behind the steel bridges, ready to respond to invaders.

The second floor of the shaft is the workshop area. In this place, all the workshops will be housed. Construction is still ongoing. All workshops are made from steel, as far as possible.

The third floor is the stockpile area. The name is pretty self-explanatory.
It might have come to your notice that there is a double helix staircase in the center of the shaft. Its only for show, as there have been staircases built in the center of the shaft.

The fourth and fifth floors are currently unused. Plans are being drawn up.

The pride and joy of my fortress is the bedroom/dining room/ statue garden floor. Every single dwarf gets a 3x3 fully engraved bedroom and 1 iron cabinet each. I'm currently sending out work orders for enough iron cabinets to give each dwarf another iron cabinet each. The large centra area is the dining room. Early in my fort's history, a strange mood produced a dog bone artifact table, which instantly made my shitty old 8x12 dining room legendary.
The larger rooms at the corner are for the baron and other important dwarves.
The only entrances to the bedrooms go through statue gardens. I'm not sure if this forces happy thoughts upon my dwarves due to the forced pass-through, but it sure helps for dwarf happiness.
Sadly, the move from the old bedrooms to the new bedrooms is not yet complete, which is why the place is not yet fully occupied.

The final floor is the food industry floor. Three rooms have been dug out, to serve as food storage areas. A fourth room has been dug out, and is currently being cleared of stone before being designated as another food stockpile. The Smoothed room at the lower half is the industry room. Again, all workshops have been constructed out of steel, except for the quern, which is, sadly, made from chalk. The 6 o'clock room is the farm, which grows all the different varieties of underground crops possible. Digging the irrigation channels that run below the fortress was a huge pain. The smoothed room at the upper half will, eventually, serve as the egg-layer pasture, once I can move all the nest boxes into that room.

And that's my fortress as it currently stands, Polishseals, or Delethurvad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2013, 05:05:08 am »

That's a take on the central staircase I've not seen before. It go into the caverns?

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 05:38:07 am »

@ Loud Whispers . not yet it doesn't. I haven't even breached the caverns yet.  I must admit, the central double helix was heavily inspired by Towersoared's massive central shaft, the likes of which my fortress's shaft cannot compare with.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 05:59:37 am »

And that's my fortress as it currently stands, Polishseals, or Delethurvad.
seems like a lot of walking, especially for the bedroom level.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 06:05:12 am »

@Catsup there are staircases. in the center. if you're talking about the old bedrooms, that will be solved eventually.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 06:09:57 am »

yes thats my point...the dwarves living near the edge of the giant bedroom level especially, have to walk 30 tiles just to get to the middle staircase.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2013, 06:13:45 am »

well.... there's a price to be paid for beautiful architecture ;)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2013, 06:16:27 am »

a costly costly price though, hopefully its worth your aesthetics

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2013, 06:37:39 am »

to each his own, to each his own.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 12:06:18 pm »

I guess I may as well show off Leaguewinds.
you seem to be lacking roofs for all that above-ground area, what if a flying titan made of steel with deadly dust/deadly gas came along?

also, you keep all your corpses on the outside, what if a necromancer came along?
To answer the second question first, there's a half-dozen guards training in the middle of each entrance. No kobold or goblin kidnapper has yet gotten by since I set that up. So a Necromancer probably wouldn't either.

As for the first question, I'd have to hope that one of my Legendary Swordmasters would sever something vital before succumbing to the beast's emanations.

Kind of the point was to have an aboveground community, though, complete with acre-sized charnel fields and exposure to the sky. If I wanted to be sensible, I wouldn't've built all that.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7