Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 214986 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1920 on: August 21, 2016, 05:38:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: August 21, 2016, 06:55:20 am »

I think its more of "if you don't like what we're doing then, then kick us out or refund all our contributions so we can leave and use them to build all the rehab centers we need".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: August 21, 2016, 07:09:37 am »

Cmon, you've gotta be kidding. That analysis is preposterous. Take a look at this article:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/08/21/1615704/duterte-cuts-health-budget-p31-b
Duerte has slashed health spending by 31 billion pesos. That's $668 million US dollars less for hospitals. He also cut agriculture, labor, employment and foreign affairs. You can compare the scale of that to Philippines' UN commitment, which is $4.5 million per year. Which is much less than the UN spends in Philippines on development aid, certainly.

Meanwhile he's increased spending for the police, military, and his own office. And not by a little. He increased his personal slice of the budget by no less than 18 billion pesos - $387 million US dollars in his own presidential spending account!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:38:18 am by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: August 21, 2016, 07:35:58 am »

whats next? a failed coup and a purge of anti/enemy's of the(insert relevant name here)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: August 21, 2016, 07:38:52 am »

I don't trust Duerte to spend his $US 413 million (20 billion peso) personal budget properly. The previous president only had a budget of about $40 million. And the amount he's paying himself extra comes entirely at the expense of hospitals. His personal presidential budget increase represents almost 20% of the entire health spending in the country!

Also his overall budget is the largest ever. So really, any "UN bleeding the country dry" argument doesn't have much cred. His budget secretary also tries to blame an upcoming ASEAN meeting for the cost increases, even though the previous president managed to host a similar one without any blowout. So they're gutting the country and absorbing all this wealth in the presidents hands, then trying to put the blame on blame foreigners.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:54:03 am by Reelya »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: August 21, 2016, 07:52:30 am »

Oh come on! That's just completely ridiculous. Or is this that tactic to propose the most ridiculous thing so the less ridiculous gets shine in a positive light and gets to pass?

I want to know the reasoning in taking Health down that much.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: August 21, 2016, 07:55:04 am »

What is the reasoning? Who knows.

But we know it's happening because those are the official budget figures:

Budget documents the President has submitted to Congress show that he reduced the Department of Health’s (DOH) budget from P125 billion this year to P94 billion next year, or by a whopping P31 billion.
On the other hand, Duterte is substantially increasing the budget for his own office, from P2.9 billion to P20.030 billion. The increase includes P2.5 billion in intelligence funds and more than P7 billion for representation and entertainment expenses.

So what's his "reasoning" to take so much money out of health spending and funnel it into his own personal office? I'm guessing he must have one. And "corrupt bastard" is the only one that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:03:11 am by Reelya »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: August 21, 2016, 07:59:19 am »

Education getting 135 billion increase which the only reasonable thing in there.

Unless he's planning something absolutely huge for next years ASEAN summit, there's no justification on that increase in his office.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: August 21, 2016, 08:07:40 am »

One of the articles mentions that president Aquino hosted the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation leaders’ summit last year without the budget issues. So, they're jacking up spending and a lot of it is going into the presidents hands at the expense of things like hospitals, then they try and blame foreigners for the budget issues - ASEAN and the UN. There are some definite red flags about all of this. Philippines has got themselves another Marcos.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:10:52 am by Reelya »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: August 21, 2016, 08:25:41 am »

Last year's ASEAN summit was at Malaysia. This year was at Laos. Next year, Philippines is next to host the Summit.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 21, 2016, 08:31:48 am »

Umm, yeah ... you're not making any sense now.

The Philippines Budget Secretary blamed the ASEAN meeting for the budget blow-out. Clearly he means the upcoming one.

Meanwhile the previous president hosted the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation leaders’ summit last year. That's APEC, not ASEAN.

So where they hosted previous ASEAN's ain't got nothing to do with nothing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:46:09 am by Reelya »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: August 21, 2016, 08:43:55 am »

Eh, don't worry about it. I do alot of things I don't know why I did.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: August 21, 2016, 10:58:26 pm »

I think you guys forget that he is the Phillippines version of Donald Trump.... that alone will answer all questions....

Okay, not really...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 22, 2016, 12:03:41 am »

I think you guys forget that he is the Phillippines version of Donald Trump.... that alone will answer all questions....

Okay, not really...
I'm going to be grumpy everytime he's compared to...that guy.
But he's got his own unique quirks. :v
Seriously our news here is saturated with Trump and I can't stop being arhghggh'd at how bad he is at English or making sense.
...Just don't put him on that level. Those are two different levels.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 22, 2016, 01:25:54 am »

Indeed, Duterte is much worse than Trump. Duterte actually kills people and leads death squads.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 163