Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 216611 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1470 on: August 13, 2014, 12:32:23 pm »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 18, 2014, 05:03:23 pm »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 18, 2014, 08:46:43 pm »

Yes, because ocean currents aren't a thing. :V

I don't even know where they're dumping it or what they're dumping, and I can say "Dumping something anywhere near the reef is bad, mkay."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 19, 2014, 03:17:41 am »

I need to actually do research about that at some point. I honestly don't trust the greens anymore, but i doubt that the plan is perfectly 100% safe either.
Magma is overrated.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 19, 2014, 03:43:12 am »

Oh lord, in regards to Australia's reef dumping plan, I found this:

'A balanced and thought through decision by the GBRMPA.
People need to understand the detail and strict conditions of this decision, and not just sit thousands of miles away, and give a their left wing liberal opinion.
There no way the Reef will be damaged. Look at the distance away where the silt will be dropped.
Please do not pass an ill informed general opinion. Leave it to the local experts.'

Someone get MZ to punch me into misery. It's better than what I'm feeling right now.
*Evilsx read the past 10 posts*

...Is it bloodly possible that 'Australian' is just 'Wonder land' where the insane live and Abbott is being thanks for fucking the fish then telling anyone who gives a shit to piss off...

*Evilsx line up behind greatorder to get punched*

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 19, 2014, 11:22:47 pm »

Breaking: Clive Palmer still crazy.

Haha, Clive Palmer is best troll ever.

Let's examine the details.

First, is he just a racist bastard? Doesn't compute. After all, he's got Dio Wang, the West Australian Senator, as a part of his party.

So is he picking on the Chinese in general or something specific? From his comments it seems he's picking on the government in particular as being a bunch of "mongrels" and "bastards."

In my opinion it seems a fair enough comment. I'd probably say worse about my own government, and they don't drive tanks over squares full of students. Still, they're our biggest bestest mates because they pay us lots of money for our stuff like ore, and after all stuff like "lol human rights" is kind of a shared philosophy between us anyhow, at least where people who aren't "Team Australia" are concerned.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 20, 2014, 12:02:05 am »

Honestly, I have no idea where he is going with this, but I have a feeling it will be clever.
-
Breaking: Clive Palmer still crazy.
Still, they're our biggest bestest mates because they pay us lots of money for our stuff like ore, and after all stuff like "lol human rights" is kind of a shared philosophy between us anyhow, at least where people who aren't "Team Australia" are concerned.
I don't want to join the team Australia that Abbot is leading.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:03:53 am by Edmus »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: August 20, 2014, 12:40:47 am »

Well the uniform could use improvement for one thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 20, 2014, 01:16:16 am »

*swoons

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 20, 2014, 01:31:25 am »

Clive's continuing legal battles with Chinese business interests in which millions of dollars are at stake probably colours his opinion of the Chinese government. I doubt his comments were due to racism, but I also doubt he's making them because of any humanitarian concerns.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 20, 2014, 03:22:00 am »

Ironically the fact he's had such close business dealings with the Chinese means Clive is probably one of the best people to speak about them from a realistic perspective. It's easy to praise and pay lip service to politicians when the other person doesn't pay your bills, but when money is involved the true face of the other person is revealed. Perhaps instead of assuming the trouble he's experiencing is completely his own making, it would be good to entertain the possibility that there's fault on both sides.

The dispute arises from the Chinese owned Citic Pacific refusing to pay royalties for mining on Clive's land since the price of iron ore has halved since the contract was signed five years ago. There is also the case of Port Preston, a shipping port built by Citic Pacific for their exclusive use in shipping their iron ore. Clive's company was appointed to operate the port by the federal government. Citic objected and the decision was overturned. Clive objected to their objection and the case is now tied up in court.

So is Clive's perspective a bit skewed? Sure. Is his case unique? I doubt it. From the rapidly inflating property market to the natural resources sector that promised so much return but delivered so little tax, foreign investors and especially the Chinese have been rapidly growing their ownership of Australian assets. It's interesting in particular to study the effect that foreign ownership has had on the Canadian property market, which up until recently was a prime target for Chinese investors. Speculative buying has resulted in Canada having some of the worst housing affordability rates in the world.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 20, 2014, 03:52:13 am »

Now he's a no show for some meetings. This is very surreal, but as I can't vote there's no point getting upset I guess. I'll just enjoy the lels.
This article is making me feel him rather isolated from the other parties. Maybe that was his goal; a perception that only Clive will stand up against Libs and labour to stop the Chinese from buying out our resources and real estate. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but at least this might open a political dialogue.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 20, 2014, 05:14:14 am »

-snip-

Looks like you completely  agree with my earlier statement. Cool.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 20, 2014, 05:17:10 am »

Here is the statement the media keeps quoting parts of:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks like he is regretting it.
>edit: even more so Lambie's invasion comments. Ooh boy this is going to be funny.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:21:00 am by Edmus »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 20, 2014, 07:34:46 pm »

We pissed off the Indonesians a few months ago, now we're pissing off the Chinese. Let's go for the trifecta and get the USA pissed too.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 163