Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215799 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1335 on: March 12, 2014, 06:26:10 pm »

The "Move along, Protestors" bill passed the lower house 20 - 18 earlier.

You know a bill is fucked up when hardline conservatives are saying it's excessive.

Basically, police can force a protest to dissipate - if a person refuses, then it's a $750 fine or two years jail. Now, this may seem sane to some - if protestors are violent, then it makes sense.

But the point is, it is an increase of police powers to arrest someone before they have committed any crimes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 12, 2014, 06:34:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is going to get challenged in court... Plenty of legal experts who would love to rip that thing to shreds.

I'm looking forward to reading Chris Berg's convoluted and misleading article on why this specific form of infringing on freedom of speech is actually a good thing.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 13, 2014, 03:10:22 am »

Australia: Guilty until proven innocent!
Nation of convicts and all that...

"So why'd you arrest them?"
"They were protesting."
"Protesting against what?"
"Protesting against my arresting them, of course."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 13, 2014, 04:55:48 am »

So Fairfax is reporting that we are boosting military funding even more so with a new round of stealth fighters and a batch of drones, apparently for the sake of watching the north seas for asylum seeker boats. Firstly, I think this has gone from policy designed to demonize people and win popular support, into paranoid lunatic ground. Secondly I'm left to wonder if Hitler claimed his increases in military power were to stop the Jews. Godwin; all day, everyday.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 13, 2014, 05:08:48 am »

I don't think refugees got any radar or similar technology at hand. A batch of regular fighters should be enough to commit this particular crime against humanity.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 13, 2014, 05:11:36 am »

You don't understand, our military servicemen give their lives to protest us, they deserve the best hardware possible! You don't want them to die because they didn't have the best gear, do you? Do you hate the military? Why do you hate people that lay down their lives to protect you? Show a little patriotism!

And so on and so forth...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 13, 2014, 05:17:00 am »

You don't want them to die because they didn't have the best gear, do you?
I am not at liberty to discuss my thoughts on people dying in public.

>_>

<_<

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 13, 2014, 06:20:00 am »

Don't worry Reud Max PEOPLE OF THE WORLD, everyone here hates the Australian government, even the Australian government hates itself and is the MOST reasonable reason for what they are doing, beside being completely insane and generally shit.
I think this is the best way to describe my feeling of the government right now

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 13, 2014, 06:23:45 am »

Save Godwin for when we annex New Zealand.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 14, 2014, 02:15:12 am »

Interview with an asylem seeker, as well as some leaked photos. Some injuries, at least the ones that aren't serious enough to be in hospital, some bullet holes, some blood stains. You get the idea...

Q: Do you mean that the ones who work in the camp were involve in the attack?
A: 100 per cent, of course. See, one of the boys that I don't wish to name was badly injured in the attack, so one Australian guard threw him over his shoulder to take to the ambulance. On his way out, a PNG guard hit the detainee's head with a wooden pole. As he picked his head up, the PNG guard recognised him as a friend who was giving him cigarettes every day. He was shocked and said, "Sorry, sorry my friend."
This story has become one of the jokes currently in the camp. "Sorry, sorry my friend."
They are all locals who are employed and work here, and yes, many were on shift in full uniform and many were off shift and in personal clothes. At one point there was a G4S PNG guard in full uniform, but he wore thongs as he didn't get a chance to put his boots on.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 14, 2014, 02:31:00 am »

So Fairfax is reporting that we are boosting military funding even more so with a new round of stealth fighters

Did you at all read that article past the headline?
It basically said that they're still buying the F35's that they confirmed that they were going to buy but had delayed previously.
Magma is overrated.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 14, 2014, 02:39:59 am »

Yea, so what? What does that change that is inconsistent with what I said?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 14, 2014, 03:23:59 am »

According to the article they're saving military spending by still continuing to hold off on them and not being one of the first delivery clients. You made it sound like they'd just added a multi million dollar order. :P
Magma is overrated.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 14, 2014, 03:29:22 am »

So I am going to buy a giant wooden donkey, and it is pretty expensive... I wait a few years until the price of giant wooden donkeys goes down and then pat myself on the back for saving all that money... When I could have just not bought the fucking donkey and saved a lot more.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 14, 2014, 05:42:43 am »

Who knows, a giant wooden donky just might creep-out our enemies enough to keep them away :P
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 163