Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217834 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #975 on: September 27, 2013, 03:56:17 am »

Australians have a bad history of voting governments out, not voting them in. I daresay Joe Average Citizen was fed up with the leadership shenanigans of the previous government and decided they needed to be changed. Still, remember that it wasn't like they were completely abandoned; indeed many hundreds of thousands of people voted for them despite this. Ultimately we'll see whether the new powers that be will make the majority of the population happy enough to remain in power come next election. If they fail, expect them to be voted out. It's doubtful the opposition's actions will have much effect on this matter.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 30, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »

Although it seems people might be less happy than normal about the change. For example, there is a petition to boycott the current government, not something I'm going to be signing, or encourage others to sign for the horrible precedent it sets about our democratic process, but still interesting the hate that is coming out of people right now.

Not that surprising though, all things considered. The Coalition promised that things would change in regard to asylum seekers from day one that they were elected. An impossible promise, but one they made. It wasn't long before a boat sank and about 50 people drowned at sea. Tony Abbotts first response was to literally run from the media. After the Children Overboard affair of the Howard ministry, that is a really, really, really bad sign.

In regards to actual action on asylum seekers it will be interesting to see where this goes when various Indonesian law makers have pointed out that the made proposals are illegal under their law. I have little doubt this will be three years of interesting foreign relations. Luckily Bishop, the only female cabinet member, will be able to spend all her time over seas sorting it out, rather than in parliament.

EDIT: In unrelated news, the Liberal held state government of NSW has decided to grant a Coal Seam gas license to a company with a total of $100 in equity. Basically fuck farming, were giving out these things like candy! Greens are pushing for an inquiry into the process used to determine who gets these licenses, but having little state power isn't likely we will get anywhere.

EDIT2:
As Senate preferance are processed it looks bad. Greens down to 9 senators, Palmer up to 3.

EDIT3:
Holy shit that Greens seat that was lost is tight, and there will most likely have to be a recount. It was lost to the liberal party...
As for that seat Palmer picked up, that was taken from the Sex party, sadly. They are blaming a broken fax machine, and it is a little tense on the libertarian side of things. Both the Republicans and the Libertarians failed to submit their group voting ticket, and with those I have little doubt the sex party would have taken the seat with votes to flow on, but as things are it certainly gives them less negotiating power in future preference deals.

EDITIV:
Coalition wants to tow back boats and then after a some time in Government they suddenly don't... God I fucking hate Pyne, he has got to be the most annoying, hateful person in our politics.

EDIT FOREVER!!!!
Well Tony Abbott insists that the Indonesia trip went well... If people claiming he broke a law worthy of two years imprisonment is doing well, what is a failure?

RECENSERE ITERUM:
You know that recount the Greens wanted for that senate seat with a 14 count difference? The one they didn't get. Well they are getting the recount after all, the coin has been flipped, hoping it lands heads.
Also another political party has sprung up, the Marriage Equity party. Yes they are a one topic protest party, but I love them already.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 10, 2013, 10:16:56 pm »

So they're potentially opening Australia up for all kinds of bad stuff... but what are they actually going to gain from signing the deal?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 10, 2013, 10:27:56 pm »

Not much.
Tony Abbott wants to allow foreign investment from overseas companies in Asia and the US, and to encourage them over he is willing to sign a deal giving them more power than the actual government. It is a pretty tasty offer for an investor, knowing that they can sue over government regulations, and so looks great on a spreadsheet, but in general is bad for everything else.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 11, 2013, 03:25:06 am »

Seems a bit of an overreaction, paid for by businesses that are afraid to face international competition. I don't know the detail of the ISDS system, but I seriously doubt it'll have much power, if only because the US would never allow an international institution to have power over its own laws.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 11, 2013, 03:37:27 am »

Seems a bit of an overreaction, paid for by businesses that are afraid to face international competition. I don't know the detail of the ISDS system, but I seriously doubt it'll have much power, if only because the US would never allow an international institution to have power over its own laws.

What makes you think such a deal would necessarily be mutual? Besides, corporations are already fucking over prices for everyone in the US, they've already got the downsides of the ISDS.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 11, 2013, 03:41:21 am »

Free trade agreements usually have a lot of riding clauses built into them. For example, the free trade agreement between the USA and Australia was used to extend the term of copyright from 50 to 70 years, and make it a punishable offense to crack software DRM. [link] Also, there were built-in early warning systems for USA drug manufacturing companies to learn when generic medicines were going to be launched, in order for them to attempt to extend their drug patent or launch a competing new molecule before their market share was affected.

Likely the free trade agreement with China will also hold some hidden surprises.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 03:45:24 am by Jimmy »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 13, 2013, 02:16:23 am »

Shorten takes Labor leadership, and therefor opposition leader. Deputy and shadow ministry to be announced.
On the plus side, I feel he is better qualified to be a Prime minister than Albanese, but on the minus I feel Albanese would have made a great opposition leader. Shorten seems to be about rational policy where as Albanese is more charismatic and groveling... Damn, Labor could have used a Kevin 2.0, with the narcissistic cut out.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:17 am »

What happened to Kevin?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 16, 2013, 04:10:09 am »

He stepped down on election night right after conceding, triggering a leadership race. Shorten put his hand up and was challenged by Albanese a few days later.
Right now Ruddy is just sitting on the back bench.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 16, 2013, 05:49:33 am »

But why did he stepped down? I think it's been clear the only thing worse that Rudd for Labor was NotRudd.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 16, 2013, 06:08:14 am »

They were in a position where a black slate was a much better option than Rudd. His personal approval rating was dropping daily, and the party only took him back with the pipe dream of winning the election. Had they won he would have held leadership for another term minimum, maybe a few more, but a loss meant members were sharpening their knives. He was damaged goods.
The Shorten/Albanese debate also got a lot of publicity, with media expecting the same bloody personal mess than the Rudd/Gillard conflict was, but this time Labor was ready for the cameras and actually acted like adults, meaning great publicity, and they have reported an even bigger membership spike than the Liberals. Australians have been exposed to years of personal mud slinging and petty insults from the house of reps ever since Abbott took control of the Liberals, so I guess seeing a more mature debate about policy was attractive.

Interestingly some media outlets have been reporting internal conflicts for the Greens, some saying the party will split or have its own leadership from Sarah Hanson Young. The only articles I have seen saying this are all from Fairfax Media, while Young herself seems pretty content with her current position. Apparently the lack of spite in Labor has meant the newspapers have to fabricate their own to fill current demand.  :P

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:50 am »

Like Mark Twain said, Fairfax has never been known to let facts get in the way of a good story.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:55 am »

I'd trust Fairfax a lot further than News Corp (The Australian/The Herald Sun). Though I guess that just says more about the sorry state of print media in Aus than anything.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 163