Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 217826 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #960 on: September 19, 2013, 05:22:25 am »

So the ACT (Australian Capital Territory, think of it as being similar to the District of Columbia) has decided fuck the feds, we got our own level of government!

FTFY
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 19, 2013, 05:25:42 am »

So the ACT (Australian Capital Territory, think of it as being similar to the District of Columbia) has decided fuck the feds, we got our own level of government!

FTFY
Just to clarify for other Australians, Washington State is on the other side of the country and its capital city is Seattle.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 19, 2013, 05:34:40 am »

^Whereas Washington the city, the captial of the United States, is located in the District of Columbia, on the east coast.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 19, 2013, 07:37:41 am »

And I will echo the sentiments of every foreigner when they first learn of this:

Fucking America.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:17 am »

And I will echo the sentiments of every foreigner when they first learn of this:

Fucking America.

Canadians can't talk, y'all have a city named after a state too.

Granted, it's one of our states, but shut up >.<
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:51 am »

Ugh, just let the bill pass. The issue of gay marrage is not going to go away until it is legalised.

As for the Liberal's, what won them the election, and is a vote of no confidence in the offing? Do you want to hit me, tell me to look at some articles, and then give me some articles? *looking at articles

What?

Respectively, what won the Liberals the election, is a vote of no confidence in the offing, and please don't kill me for asking instead of googling.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 20, 2013, 08:53:28 am »

Ugh, just let the bill pass. The issue of gay marrage is not going to go away until it is legalised.

As for the Liberal's, what won them the election, and is a vote of no confidence in the offing? Do you want to hit me, tell me to look at some articles, and then give me some articles? *looking at articles

What?

Respectively, what won the Liberals the election, is a vote of no confidence in the offing, and please don't kill me for asking instead of googling.

Apparently we Aussies have a habit of voting people out rather than voting people in. We had some shenanigans with party leadership under Labor, where Rudd won the '07 election, suddenly lost a lot of his pre-election charm (and more importantly, polling figures) and was unceremoniously booted out and replaced with his then-Deputy Prime Minister, Julia Gillard. Julia went on to honestly not fare much better, especially due to a perceived air of illegitimacy arising from (and very much stirred up by the Opposition) aforementioned shenanigans. Labor didn't win the '10 election by a hair, but were able to form a temporary coalition with some Green and Independent MPs to gain a minimal majority in the lower house and thus the official title of Government. Julia continued to be a reasonable politician, particularly for one facing such a huge quantity of sex-based slander (seriously). She got some good hits in, calling Tony Abbott (then leader of coalition, now Prime Minister) out on his sexism (linky), not that it stopped him or even slowed him down. Then, about three to six months ago, I forget exactly when, Julia's polling was low and the election was nearing, and a vote was called amongst the Labor party big shots to replace Julia with Kevin again, which succeeded. Kevin went on to change the rules of the Labor party to stop this kind of bait-and-switch thingo happening again (at least not without a bigger majority, and the knowledge of the rest of the party, not just the inner circle), and to lose the election by somewhat less than was expected. He then stepped down as leader of the Labor Party just about as soon as the election was called.

Hopefully that was some sort of insight.

fakeedit: just realised I didn't really answer your questions head-on: Again, I think it was more a case of Labor being voted out than Liberals voted in, and whilst I'm not entirely sure what you mean by vote of no confidence, it's possible that if Abbott is sufficiently ridiculous the Governor-General (who represents the Queen's authority) will call a double dissolution and we'll have to re-elect pretty much every Federal-level politician. I think, but am not sure, that Abbott may, if he decides Australia isn't bending over in a satisfactory manner, be able to force the GG to enact a double dissolution himself, but such an act would probably not be in his best interests.

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:57:42 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 20, 2013, 11:17:27 am »

Assuming Abbot hasn't elected a science minister by now, do you think public pressure (warranted by grievances not solely based on this failure, unfortunately) is likely to build up enough that his party is booted out early ?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:19:30 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 20, 2013, 08:55:26 pm »

Abbott is not going to appoint (not elect) a science minister. The Science ministry, in addition to the Climate Change and several others, have been assimilated into other portfolios. Whilst this has been met with considerable outrage from the left (which is hardly a surprise), I don't think we're going to have sufficient momentum to outright overthrow Abbott. My money's on three years of absolutely ridiculous bullshit, followed by a landslide election in the other direction.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 21, 2013, 08:50:56 am »

It's simple. The current government doesn't support climate change policies. To back their position, they are firing all the current scientists that oppose their position and scrapping any research into the field. If there's no science to support climate change, there's no problem, right?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2013, 02:36:12 pm »

"To the leader of the opposition let me say this: You want to fight cunt?"

"Hi, my name's Kevin, i'm from Queensland, and i'm here to help"

"... and now i've got to zip"
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 26, 2013, 04:20:37 am »

Ladies and gentlemen, we slip slowly towards totalitarianism.
Although important to note they haven't banned anything yet, publicly releasing that they might is worrying.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 26, 2013, 12:08:49 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, we slip slowly towards totalitarianism.
Although important to note they haven't banned anything yet, publicly releasing that they might is worrying.

I get the impression this government was elected for the backlash, or at least that the role they'll end up filling.
Reading a thinner book

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 26, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »

This government was elected because people didn't like the last one. I'm still not sure why they didn't like the last one, usually it comes down to either thinking the economy is in bad shape, or the changing leadership. I'm past expecting people to know what is going on...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 26, 2013, 10:08:44 pm »

You could have stopped this Australia. You could have voted Ron Paul Bullet Train for Australia. Only darkness remains...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 163