Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 215082 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 07:29:14 am »

Well, give it four years, and we will start to remember what Liberal rule is all about.
I honestly feel bad for the gay community in Australia. So fucking close to gay marriage, and now they will need to wait another four years of injustice for another shot... Fuck you Gillard. Fuck you in the fuck.

*Three* years. Four is the yanks.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 07:30:04 am »

Geez, what's wrong with long, dark, conservative futures? Except for gay rights. Yeah, politics suck when you are moderate. Picking and choosing from left and right wing ideologies just sucks.
Also, the Carbon Tax. I hate the thing. Was supposedly never going to get introduced, but with the whole greens thing it became a reality. Basically, Australia is run off of industry and agriculture. They get taxed more heavily, so they raise prices, so less people buy our stuff, so we have a poorer economy. Its way cheaper and easier to simply raise prices than to cut down on carbon.
Our politics suck. I wonder what Canadian politics are like?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 07:30:57 am »

*Three* years. Four is the yanks.
Really? I thought we were four years as well?
Well give me a break, I'm on 21. Not enough time to understand our politics...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 07:42:56 am »

Not particularly. I've never felt superior for firing a gun, or owning one. Also, please define " assault weapon".
Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Also anything with burst fire and anything with any sort of armor piercing capabilities, but that relates more to the munition.

Looking at some figures our most recent school shooting was in 2002, the US has had 9 this year. While I understand that you can expect higher frequency with greater population, it is still obvious that we have much better gun control leading to a safer population.
Why semiautos? They have an application in hunting and sport shooting.
Damn, I should make a gun control thread. This is starting to get off topic.
Anyways, no government for a looonggggg time is going to make guns less restricted.

"Gee these 'murder sticks' sure are fun to play with" has always struck me as a terrible reason to allow items which will inevitably spike up the murder and suicide rates. When Israel stopped allowing soldiers to take their gun's home, their suicide rates plummeted. And those are all people properly trained in firearm safety and storage.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 07:44:49 am »

Plus, let's face it, we're Australians. Guns would make us too soft, all we need is a big knife and some vegemite.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2013, 07:47:33 am »

Not particularly. I've never felt superior for firing a gun, or owning one. Also, please define " assault weapon".
Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Also anything with burst fire and anything with any sort of armor piercing capabilities, but that relates more to the munition.

Looking at some figures our most recent school shooting was in 2002, the US has had 9 this year. While I understand that you can expect higher frequency with greater population, it is still obvious that we have much better gun control leading to a safer population.
Why semiautos? They have an application in hunting and sport shooting.
Damn, I should make a gun control thread. This is starting to get off topic.
Anyways, no government for a looonggggg time is going to make guns less restricted.

"Gee these 'murder sticks' sure are fun to play with" has always struck me as a terrible reason to allow items which will inevitably spike up the murder and suicide rates. When Israel stopped allowing soldiers to take their gun's home, their suicide rates plummeted. And those are all people properly trained in firearm safety and storage.
Then again, Japan has a damn high suicide rate and they don't even have guns. Also, we are allowed to carry around knives and such. They can kill people. Why aren't they banned?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 07:50:11 am »

Regardless of Japan's problems, they're not really relevant, since all available evidence is that having more guns = more suicide.

There's not a jot of evidence that Japan's high suicide rate would drop like magic if they all had guns.

Knives don't kill as many people as guns. You don't get a Martin Bryant with a knife. Also, when guns are removed, other types of murder and suicide DO increase, but not by as much as the drop. Also, knives are needed for things that aren't killing - like cooking. We should ban windows as well, since you could make a shiv out of broken glass.

What other uses does a gun have?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:54:52 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2013, 07:54:27 am »

Then again, Japan has a damn high suicide rate and they don't even have guns. Also, we are allowed to carry around knives and such. They can kill people. Why aren't they banned?

If you had a weapon that could launch knives at I don't know how high speeds in rapid succession, I'm pretty sure it would be banned too. Otherwise it's not a equivalent at all. Also please trim your quote pyramids.

Also posting to mock Austrian politics. You silly Germans you.
Love, scriver~

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 07:56:03 am »

It doesn't seem like anyone noticed, but if Rudd wanted to depose Julia, he could have, and I'd be all for it. Also ptw.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 07:57:39 am »

Regardless of Japan's problems, they're not really relevant, since all available evidence is that having more guns = more suicide.

There's not a jot of evidence that Japan's high suicide rate would drop like magic if they all had guns.

Knives don't kill as many people as guns. Also, when guns are removed, other types of murder and suicide DO increase, but not by as much as the drop. Also, knives are needed for things that aren't killing - like cooking. We should ban windows as well, since you could make a shiv out of broken glass.

Not any. But why do we have quad bikes? They have no practical use, but they just cause accidents. Why do we have skateboards? Accidents. Why do we allow bush walking? They will get mauled by wild animals.

Suicide is never caused by the tool. People do not see a gun and suddenly become suicidal. People do not jump in front of a train because it is there. It is only ever the fault of the person. And what about hunting knives? You certainly don't use them for cooking.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 07:59:12 am »

It doesn't seem like anyone noticed, but if Rudd wanted to depose Julia, he could have, and I'd be all for it. Also ptw.
How? His party hates him more than they like their jobs...
Also, I'm not sure at that point that another leadership change would help... They are doomed, as sad as it is. The shinier of two turds is lost to us, leaving only the really shitty turd.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2013, 07:59:51 am »

Like I said on the last page, he really couldn't. To depose Julia, he'd need the support of the Labor caucus. They mostly hate him; most of his support was purely because they could see the writing on the wall re: poll numbers, and even that didn't get him enough.

Now, if he started his own party, and maybe allied with Turnbull... sigh...

(seriously, it would never happen, because they'd kill each other... but just imagine that ticket!)

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2013, 08:05:42 am »

I can see it. Good day, that'd be.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 08:06:38 am »

Knives don't kill as many people as guns. Also, when guns are removed, other types of murder and suicide DO increase, but not by as much as the drop. Also, knives are needed for things that aren't killing - like cooking. We should ban windows as well, since you could make a shiv out of broken glass.

Not any. But why do we have quad bikes? They have no practical use, but they just cause accidents. Why do we have skateboards? Accidents. Why do we allow bush walking? They will get mauled by wild animals.

Suicide is never caused by the tool. People do not see a gun and suddenly become suicidal. People do not jump in front of a train because it is there. It is only ever the fault of the person. And what about hunting knives? You certainly don't use them for cooking.

They at least are forms of transportation, and provide non-killing-related entertainment. A skateboard is faster than walking. Guns are just about killing. Death isn't an accident with a gun, it's their reason for being. Plus you have the difference between banning bushwalking (which would require monitoring everyone, every day) vs guns - you can't just "go shooting" one day on a whim without a gun, like with bushwalking - there's the difference in amount of effort of control vs the benefits.

Gun control provides a tangible benefit to the cost and amount of effort to regulate them. A bushwalking ban does not provide that same level of benefit in relation to the cost and effort of enforcing the ban. Seriously, deaths from wild animals in Australia per year is about 5 deaths, much less than shootings already. The most you would save is single digit lives per year, at massive expense.

No, the gun didn't cause the suicidal thoughts, but Israel's experiences prove that a gun on hand makes it much more likely to act on fleeting suicidal thoughts that you might overcome if you didn't have a murder-stick at hand.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:13:01 am by Reelya »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 08:08:18 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So being around rope, medicine, knives, and trains would do the exact same thing?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 163