Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 6 - Sanity Reigns [Game Over]  (Read 96653 times)

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 6 - The Cloister of Zodank, God of Madness [Day 1]
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2013, 09:46:55 am »

alamoes
Can you confirm that you understand the concept of OMGUS, as per my explanation here?

Yep, one of the first articles I read on the wiki.  I figured I had time to change my answer later, which I do. 

EBWOP
alamoes

alamoes:
I know that I can win when I'm dead, but it would be no fun if I'm out on the first day.
Fair enough. Also, try not to bandwagon in the future, as it's quite scummy. Would you be happy with Freshman being lynched if the day ended right this instant?

Additionally, you have no votes on you currently. As long as you keep answering questions and start asking them, it should stay that way, so I wouldn't be so worried about being the D1 lynch.

Yeah, I know I'm probably safe, but still, probably is an unsure word.  If Freshman was lynched, I would probably be fine with it, but I'd rather have his answers first.  If he is a town, I'd have my regrets, but still, the game must go on.  And to lynch a random guy is better than not  lynching at all.  I'm still tempted to pull out random.org for that.
Son, you're really being stubborn here.

Why random, when you can scumhunt for information? Why are you probably fine with it - probably because you know he's town and are giving weak reasons to forward it?

And you pull random org because you want to see someone - preferably anyone - lynched? Dear me.

Who are you most suspicious of, at the moment. And what are your general reads on everyone. Be detailed, give a list, and sort. Because you really seem to be going gung-ho on the vote there in a very carefree way.

I don't know who it would be, but it probably is not the soldier, because he started his vote on the noob, me.  I doubt the mafia would do something so isolated like that. 

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:28 am »

Vector:
Not-so-beginner's Mafia, Ford.

Unvote.  I need a little time.
Yeah, I guess it's more until I get my bearings (I can see you're in the same boat). That and the stuff I directed at freshman isn't applicable to ZU. I might revote ZU later, but I'm not going to leave a vote on him if I haven't left him something he can respond to.

I ended up on freshman because I was taking a close look at The Soldier, and I stared at freshman's answer for a while thinking, "I don't want to bandwagon a newbie to the point of overload, but with an answer like that, he can't not be scum."

*sigh* I hope freshman will join a BM sometime, but after this I hope he understands if we discourage him from joining any other games.

alamoes:
I don't know who it would be, but it probably is not the soldier, because he started his vote on the noob, me.  I doubt the mafia would do something so isolated like that.
That doesn't really tell you much. He voted you randomly. That's why we call the start of the game RVS (Random Vote Stage).

I'd highly recommend joining a BM at the first chance you get. I think you can do this well, but you need more confidence and the learning curve isn't nearly as sharp in one of those.

Also, what's the problem you're having with trimming down quotes? I see you did the bolding thing again. See how I trimmed down your response in the quote above? I always do this by quoting the entire post and deleting the stuff that isn't relevant. Are you worried about being accused of altering someone else's quote?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2013, 11:18:49 am »

What do you mean by isolated?

alamoes
Can you confirm that you understand the concept of OMGUS, as per my explanation here?
This looks like a time-waster question.

zombie urist
Why'd you think Fresh bailed out?
No idea.

Unvote. Gotta let ZU catch up. I'll ask you the same question as freshman, however: what type of item would you be most afraid of the scum having? (blocks, redirects, ...)
Extra kills. Also randomizations are annoying.

@ZU: Same question to you. Let's say you've a protect - under what circumstances are you going to pick your target, and why?
Probably the towniest person.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2013, 11:33:55 am »

Zombie Urist
alamoes
This looks like a time-waster question.
So, following up on a previously unanswered question is time wasting now, is it?

Quote from: zombie urist
zombie urist
Why'd you think Fresh bailed out?
No idea.
Not even the smallest idea? I find this lack of curiousity astounding, especially given how scummy your predecessor came across as.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »

How long do you intend to spend noob-sniping throughout this game, given that we have a lot of noobs and it is indeed difficult to spread one's attention very far?  Furthermore, how will you differentiate noob-town and noob-scum?

Probably by looking at RVS questions and pure number of attacks. I'm rarely (even less than can be expected statistically) scum or third party, so when I am I tend to ask RVS questions about what others would do in that position. Furthermore noobs may construct poor arguments, but they still make them, so a lack of arguments would be the other factor I use to differentiate noob-town from boon-scum.

Zrk2
I'm generally quite conservative. Seeing as redirects, blocks and whatnot tend to run rampant in role-heavy games I think a less powerful reusable ability would be more useful, especially since even if a oneshot isn't redirected my read may be wrong.
Given the nature of the set up, how much should we trust the results of Inspects?

Inspects are never a sure thing, but if push came to shove I would trust one, unless I had overwhelming evidence that it was incorrect. However, given even average play I don't think enough evidence could be compiled to convince me it was wrong.

alamoes:
I know that I can win when I'm dead, but it would be no fun if I'm out on the first day.
Fair enough. Also, try not to bandwagon in the future, as it's quite scummy. Would you be happy with Freshman being lynched if the day ended right this instant?

Additionally, you have no votes on you currently. As long as you keep answering questions and start asking them, it should stay that way, so I wouldn't be so worried about being the D1 lynch.

Yeah, I know I'm probably safe, but still, probably is an unsure word.  If Freshman was lynched, I would probably be fine with it, but I'd rather have his answers first.  If he is a town, I'd have my regrets, but still, the game must go on.  And to lynch a random guy is better than not  lynching at all.  I'm still tempted to pull out random.org for that.

Unvote, vote Alamoes. Really? You can't find any reason to vote for someone? In addition, let's consider your posts, shall we?

When did I vote the first time? Anyways, I'll vote for the soldier, since he is voting for me.

Casual OMGUS, nice, even though you claim to have read the article on them, or did you read said article after this post?

I know it may be bad form, but who would you guys rather me vote against?  He's going down regardless, it seems.  If enough people give me a good reason to vote otherwise I will change my vote.

Again here we see a casual disregard for where you vote goes. Definitely not a townie action. If you are town, your vote is your biggest and most trustworthy weapon, and you shouldn't throw it away like this. If you are scum, then you don't really care what is done with it, leading to posts like this.

I'm pretty sure I'm sure I'm not voting for myself though.  I'll unvote the soldier, solving both issues.  Freshman because he is the guy targeted by the most.

More disregard for where your vote ends up, plus bandwagoning. I don't like it. It's lazy and scummy.

Alamoes has exhibited a repeated lack of concern over where his vote ends up, beyond even that which could be expected of a noob, and therefore I believe he is scum.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

PFP
NQT: Not exactly. The fact that Random exists means townies can easily be stuck as warriors. During an inventory claim, I'd look closely at their claimed uncommon item, to see if it can be confirmed. In short, no I would not lynch someone just for claiming warrior, but I would pay more attention to them.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2013, 01:33:26 pm »

Ey, what did I miss?

zombieurist

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2013, 01:39:37 pm »

I swear these things jump whenever I close my eyes for an extended period of time. Blargh.

That one Guardsman
Vote:freshmaniscoolman

dodging questions, suspicious, etc

i really think he might be scum.
You're doing it wrong.

You should put the person's name (or a shorter version of their name, as long as who it is is understood) in red, not the Vote itself.

Also, putting quotes and reasoning along with (as in response to) said quote/post helps identify which you're talking about. Because you're pointing at thin air here.

Alsoalso, you're not giving Freshman something to 'bite onto', per se. Mafia is also of a conversational game. How is this even scumhunting when you're giving a one-way liner?

Also3: How do you think you'll do this when town doesn't even know each other?

AlsoIV: You...seem to have the intention to vote Freshman, but redden the 'Vote'. Then you FoS him...

Err, is there anything you're misunderstanding?

AlsoV:
Imperial: I can see you got my point. Unvote. Now tell me, if you were scum, which of the other players would you want on your team?
People like tiruin, vector, freshman, etc
Y me?

alamoes
I know it may be bad form, but who would you guys rather me vote against?  He's going down regardless, it seems.  If enough people give me a good reason to vote otherwise I will change my vote.
Oh dear. He's going down regardless? Hm. You know, nothing is sound in stone until the day ends (or usually near day end, wherein the votes show where people's thinking lies in who is scum)

Also, why would we persuade you to change your vote - what are you doing about it-...

I need to look over everyone to adjust my vote accordingly.  My internet is very bad today.  I'm just sitting here waiting for posts to load. 

alamoes: How much mafia experience do you have? Do you feel confident about your chances of winning.   

It is my first internet mafia game *ever*.  I believe that I will be executed fairly soon.
@_@

Oh no bro. This is not how you do these things! This reminds me of that first regular game I got into from the BM - died hilariously at D1 as a martyr...even if Martyr wasn't my role.

Dude. You do not do these things. Lynching yourself is a baaaad idea. If you've no information to give (but the possibility that your roleflip = town) then why bother lynching yourself? It. Wastes. A. Town. Weapon. The Lynch.

...Goodness. It took my the entirety of typing the above (and then skimming the following pages) to notice that you're probably quoting and not voting yourself.

Aaaand now you target Freshman because he's being voted by most. Why will you change that later, and on what conditions will you change it?

Why'd you vote him in the first place - y'know, other than that reason.

Sifting back to the everyone else now :/ Sorry newbies, but those caught my eye first.

PPE: Everyone after Ford's nice cake comment. Because cake :L

The Soldier:
Oh Teal. How I miss you. Your glow is as bright, even brighter than the blue. In Darklight you shine, while the board is Core.

Also. Holy- a hell lot of votes land on ZU/Fresh?! O_o
1. derp
2.assist the town by weeding out scum
3. because you are one of the most experienced people in the game

also, freshman might have quit because he was scum, i think he realized his impending doom, quit, and let zombieurist fill his role so the heat would come off of him!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2013, 01:59:26 pm »

That is the single wrongest theory I've heard.

I'm also going to need a replacement.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2013, 02:00:08 pm »

Guardsman, if you break those quotes out so we can see which parts you are referring to where that would be great.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:56 pm »

Vote:freshmaniscoolman

dodging questions, suspicious, etc

i really think he might be scum.
You're doing it wrong.
You should put the person's name (or a shorter version of their name, as long as who it is is understood) in red, not the Vote itself.

Also, putting quotes and reasoning along with (as in response to) said quote/post helps identify which you're talking about. Because you're pointing at thin air here.

Alsoalso, you're not giving Freshman something to 'bite onto', per se. Mafia is also of a conversational game. How is this even scumhunting when you're giving a one-way liner?

Also3: How do you think you'll do this when town doesn't even know each other? 2

AlsoIV: You...seem to have the intention to vote Freshman, but redden the 'Vote'. Then you FoS him...

Err, is there anything you're misunderstanding?

AlsoV:
Imperial: I can see you got my point. Unvote. Now tell me, if you were scum, which of the other players would you want on your team?
Y me? 3

1. derp
2.assist the town by weeding out scum
3. because you are one of the most experienced people in the game

also, freshman might have quit because he was scum, i think he realized his impending doom, quit, and let zombieurist fill his role so the heat would come off of him!
[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:08:55 pm by Imperial Guardsman »

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2013, 02:10:18 pm »

PFP

1.) No edits!
2.) Preview button.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:55 pm »

I guess what I was asking was whether you had any concrete evidence to games where this approach had netted a town win. I don't actually want to waste your time by asking you to trawl back through the archives or anything, just whether there was a game off the top of your head.

Oh, that's a very different question.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head where the entire town used exactly this technique and won, but seriously, you should look at any of the games Dakarian played town in (there's surely some in the notable game archive).  Dakarian was unlynchable.  You just... couldn't.  He usually led the town to victory.  Absolutely fantastic player.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »

Zrk2: I believe you're wrong. If Alamoes was scum, he'd have teammates coaching him. He doesn't look coached. Freshman is (was) far more likely to be scum because of his relative silence. There are things missing from his posts that I would expect to see, and I feel like I'm only hearing part of the conversation.

Personally, I find a lot of noobtells and towntells in his posts. I've not seen a single thing that makes him scummy in my book.

Zombie Urist: I'd like you to address this:
Freshmaniscoolman:
What item would you be most worried about scum having?

Why do you care about that? Perhaps maybe you're asking me to get that specific item and worry me.
I don't think it's been said yet, but this is incredibly paranoid. You can only acquire items randomly in this game (aside from starting items), so the idea of acquiring a specific item is absurd. (unless I'm missing something)

Showing contempt for the question and for RVS in general is not exactly a winning strategy, Freshman. Until I see something better from you, you really deserve this vote.

Imperial Guardsman: You are having some major troubles formatting your posts, I see. You are allowed to trim out the irrelevant parts of quotes, you know. (And please do)

Also, you missed this:
...why freshman?
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »

Spoiler: Teal (click to show/hide)

Zrk2: Adding to the above:

For someone who said "we should go light on the newbies", you certainly came at Alamoes pretty hard.

I'm really not going to be surprised if he drops out now. (Please don't, Alamoes, you can deal with this!)

Urist Imiknorris:
That is the single wrongest theory I've heard.
If you weren't dropping out, I'd ask you to explain why. Heck, I want you to explain anyway, if you've got the time.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44