Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Escape From Earth  (Read 2924 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Escape From Earth
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:08:46 am »

Escape From Earth
Sweat beads on your brow as you sit in the tiny space of the vehicle as it drives hastily towards your destination. Three soldiers with rifles are in the space with you, looking as nervous and scared as you feel. The vehicle stops. A ramp in the back extends, showing the maelstrom of hail and rain that is streaking past. One of the soldiers yells.
" GO MISTER PRESIDENT! THEY ARE WAITING FOR YOU! "
Not one to complain, you get up and sprint down the ramp. One of the soldiers gets down and follows you, and just as the other two disembark a beam of pure red light lances down and immolated the APC you were just in, killing the other two soldiers. You can barely take in where you need to go, with the noise from the explosion and the storm. But you make it out in the distance.
The Liberty.
The final hope of humanity. A massive ship, constructed out of steel, titanium, and various alloys. A spire of pure metal, with a number of engines at the back, and a visible entrance nearby. It carries ten thousand souls onboard. Better get there. Fast.
You sprint, your legs aching and burning, with your expensive suit clinging to your skin. The young soldier who survived keeps up with you as you run towards what looks like an entrance. You finally make it inside the 50 meter long metal tube, and sprint until the two military policemen at the end of the tunnel spot you, and press a button. A massive roar surrounds you and the entire structure shakes, and you fall over. The two MP's ran and grab you, and you finally black out from pain and disbelief.

You awake many hours later, in a soft bed surrounded by a white metal room with a number of beds and various medical apparatus. You're no longer wearing your suit, and you are no longer cold and wet. You still ache though. A few other people occupy the beds, and you recognise the trooper from before. A woman who looks like a nurse notices you and gasps, then rushes over to you.
" Mr President, are you okay? Do you feel any pain? Any Irritation? Do you remember what happened?"
You respond groggily.
" Yes, I'm just fine. But I wish I didn't know what happened. "
Your mind wanders back to how this all started.

3RD OCTOBER: 2027
It had all started today. It was a Monday. Nobody liked Mondays. Especially not you. But, today was momentous. The Liberty was reaching completion, and the scientists on Mars had started uncovering a large structure. Aliens! Imagine it. The best damn reelection promise ever: " We'll uncover more Aliens!" Heh, you were so damn happy. But then, at 8:44 in the morning, when you were eating your bacon and eggs and reading your reports, it happened. The Vice President burst into your dining room. In your house. Something was up.
" John. Bad shit is happening at Mars. Reports came in at 7:57 of..."
" Of what James?"
" An alien spacecraft detached from Mars. Specifically around the site of our excavation. It proceeded to use some sort of laser based weapon, immolating most of our facilities. No survivors. It will be at Earth in fifteen minutes. "
" Shit. What do we do James?"
" Heavy Armour is outside. We are taking the Liberty and whoever can fit. We are leaving."
You decide not to say anything, too stunned to do so, and instead follow him to the heavy vehicle motorcade.
The trip was long, but tense. He was in the vehicle behind me, and the ministers were in front. Neither of them made it as the sky fell. The storm had whipped into a fury, and some sort of small black craft swooped down and started firing lasers at the motorcade. Neither of them survived, but we made it. And that is why I am here now.

" Mr President, you are needed on the bridge. It's chaos."
You nod, and you get out of the bed. The soldier notices you get up, and smiles. You say " Hey, kid, come with me. I have no secret service anymore, so you may as well be my bodyguard. "
" Y-Yes sir."
He climbs out of bed and grabs his rifle which was resting against the wall. You then make your way through a door marked " MAGLEV".
As the door slides open, you are greeted by a smooth and sleek train. The Liberty has a number of these spread out all across the ship, for easy transit. You board it and it travels to your destination, the bridge. Another door, marked " Bridge" presents itself. You walk up to it and it slides open, to reveal utter chaos. A large screen bearing some sort of face appears to be trying to talk as a number of men and women shout at each other, some in military uniform, some in suits, others in just plain clothes. You yell out
" STOP"
Everyone turns to face you. All look worried. Scared. Some look depressed, some angry. All look to you. All ask what to do.
You walk in with the nervous soldier at your back, and take a seat in the chair marked " President's Chair".
The face on the screen breaks the silence.
" Welcome Mr President. I am Liberty, and I am here to help automate some of the ship's tasks. Would you like a status report?"
You nod sternly, and this comes up on the screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Liberty speaks up again. We are two weeks from arrival in Echo-Foxtrot 7.
Finally, you ponder. What do you do? You are in command of thousands of scared people, you need to do something.

OOC:
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Escape From Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:49:25 am »

Did the aliens destroy Earth or Mars? And what are we a President of? Mars? USA? Some sort of Super-UN? And how come Liberty is still intact if they decimated the rest of Human Civilization right in front of our eyes (or is that a separate mystery to be uncovered?)
edit: they did do that, right? We didn't just randomly get into a spaceship and left, while Earth shot Martians down with it's massive supply of atomic weapons?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:52:10 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:04:08 am »

Did the aliens destroy Earth or Mars? And what are we a President of? Mars? USA? Some sort of Super-UN? And how come Liberty is still intact if they decimated the rest of Human Civilization right in front of our eyes (or is that a separate mystery to be uncovered?)
edit: they did do that, right? We didn't just randomly get into a spaceship and left, while Earth shot Martians down with it's massive supply of atomic weapons?
Both.
The US.
FTL warped before damage could be taken.
We left. Earth is likely destroyed.

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »

What's our tech level? Do we use exoskeletons in army? Any major changes in weaponry? Travel? How far we have progressed with AI development? Any data on aliens? Armored, light, biological? Anything about structure from our scientists before they died?

yourfears

• Bay Watcher
  • immortalis redundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »

deliver grand speech on how humanity will survive through these hardships and grow stronger for it. gather council of heads of various departments for a rundown on whats available to us (way to tell fill us in on anything we need to know like weapons or a basic report of what we know about the aliens etc...)
voice of evil reason

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:03:13 pm »

deliver grand speech on how humanity will survive through these hardships and grow stronger for it. gather council of heads of various departments for a rundown on whats available to us (way to tell fill us in on anything we need to know like weapons or a basic report of what we know about the aliens etc...)
Exactly this.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:06:34 pm »

deliver grand speech on how humanity will survive through these hardships and grow stronger for it. gather council of heads of various departments for a rundown on whats available to us (way to tell fill us in on anything we need to know like supplies we have and a basic breakdown of colonist professions)
I know our American blood boils after this cowardly attack on our soil, but right now we must do like the British and found a colony.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »

PTW
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 07:00:09 pm »

What's our tech level? Do we use exoskeletons in army? Any major changes in weaponry? Travel? How far we have progressed with AI development? Any data on aliens? Armored, light, biological? Anything about structure from our scientists before they died?
Relatively advanced. Rail guns in use in some places. Cars. Very far. No. Structure was a large temple of some sort.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:26 pm »

PTW and participate later.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 09:11:58 pm »

deliver grand speech on how humanity will survive through these hardships and grow stronger for it. gather council of heads of various departments for a rundown on whats available to us (way to tell fill us in on anything we need to know like supplies we have and a basic breakdown of colonist professions)
I know our American blood boils after this cowardly attack on our soil, but right now we must do like the British and found a colony.
Anyway grand speech will give boost on morale and that might be important. Also that's what president should do.

Also I've forgot to ask in my flood of question - any data on Echo-Foxtrot 7 ?

And that tech level quite pleases me. We could start thinking about army used just in case we encounter something similar. I would say we would need to use combination of quickness and stealth, so enemy will have problem with finding us. Armor on current level probably wouldn't give us any protection against aliens. But if red beam is really(and we are not sure) laser reflexive surfaces and heat resistant materials could give some protection.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:19:10 pm by Sorcerer Kail »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »

After stopping your pondering, you decide that you shall give a speech. Not the most original, but it works.
" Liberty, patch me into the intercom."
" Yes sir."
A video feed shows the central " Courtyard" of the housing level. A number of people are there. Thousands.
" Hello my fellow Americans, this is your president speaking. As you now know, the American government had been constructing a colony ship for establishing an extrasolar colony. We are currently en route to a habitable system. As you now also know, we have come under attack by a mysterious alien enemy. After destroying the Mars colony, it headed to Earth. I evacuated here, but the rest of the government is no longer with us. But do not lose hope, Men, Women, and Children of America. Where America is gone in physicality, it lives on in you. We shall fight whatever may come, whatever attempts to snuff out the beauty we have created. Never shall you bow to an alien aggressor, together we shall go forward to a bright future!"
The crowd is silent. Then, a single person begins to clap. Soon, before you know it, the entire courtyard is filled with the sound of clapping. The audio and video feed is disconnected.
" That was a good speech sir."
" Thank you Liberty."
Now on the bridge is a small group of people, as the rest seem to have cleared off. One comes up to you and shakes your hand.
" Hello sir, I am Bridget Frost. I am the scientist that created the Liberty's FTL drive. Behind me are Professor Albert King, chief engineer, Captain Winter, leader of the military we have, and Senator Alan Swift. We are the most qualified of people on the ship, and we will be your advisors. Do you have any questions or demands of us?"
" Yes, I need a basic breakdown of personnel in your departments, and we need to know the former professions of the citizens."
"Yes sir, we will be back in a few hours with the dossier."
Some time passes, and a white folder is handed to you by an MP:
Hmm. What do you do next?
OOC:

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »

I suggest that we have the scientists look into anti-laser countermeasures, but I can't think of anything that really needs to be done before we get to Echo-Foxtrot.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:44 pm »

Can FTL be traced, to the best of our knowledge? (i.e. do the aliens know where we're headed?)
We also need to set up a retraining program for the civilians ASAP.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 09:37:15 pm »

Can FTL be traced, to the best of our knowledge? (i.e. do the aliens know where we're headed?)
We also need to set up a retraining program for the civilians ASAP.
FTL is still highly experimental, so this is not known.
Also, retraining for what?
Pages: [1] 2 3