Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Escape From Earth  (Read 2922 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Escape From Earth
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 09:41:54 pm »

Also, retraining for what?
The specifics are kind of murky at the moment, but we'll need people to construct our new colony, and we'll need people to run it. Also, a scientific staff of 6 is appalling- we need to send those students into the Science Mines to learn on the job.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 09:43:52 pm »

I hope we do have database with most of our recent science knowledge so we won't have to redevelop stuff.

Anyway light reflexive and heat resistant materials could work as anti-laser. So lets say chemist, physician and some engineers could start working in that direction. We need to establish education so we will be able to quickly(6 scientist is like no science) develop better tech and regain what's lost. Most of non-creative work should be done by machines, so we won't waste creativity of our people. Also do we have any prepared procedures for colonizing(dome cities/underground facilities/other) or that is matter of improvising on a place?

:O I ask a ton of questions recently.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 10:02:04 pm »

You press a button which opens up an audio link to people.
" Bridget and Albert, please come to the bridge. "
You wait a few minutes until they arrive.
" Alright, Bridget, get all of your scientists and some engineers. Tell them to start developing laser reflective armour. Albert, I need a stocktake on raw materials and how we are going to colonise."
Bridget hurries off to board the maglev, leaving you and Albert.
" Well sir, our cargo bay contains a lot of metals. I'll have Liberty update the cargo bay for you. The way planned was to make prefab structures and drop them from orbit. Then get one of the all purpose construction vehicles to entrench them."
" Alright, also, I need you to get Alan and tell him to draw up a system of educating the people here. Got it?"
" Yes Sir!"
He hurries off to board another train. Liberty updates you soon after.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Personnel:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:03:46 am by kingfisher1112 »
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »

Okay, with basic orders done we could skip rest of travel. If anybody has ideas I would say he should say them now. Any clarifications for our decisions are needed?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 10:44:12 pm »

Any objections for skipping?

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 04:33:02 am »

Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 05:04:54 am »

You settle in for a long flight to Echo-Foxtrot 7.

17th OCTOBER, 2027, MONDAY.
Well, today is the day that you arrive. Liberty counts down...
" 3...2....1"
And then the whole ship lurches forward, and the video feed to the outside is no longer black. You have arrived. Echo-Foxtrot 7 was the ideal system. A large gas giant with 27 moons, an Earth-Like planet, and it's three moons, and two other ice balls on the fringes, all surrounding a large yellow sun much like our own. An incredible asteroid belt rings the entire system. Liberty hangs on the edge of the system.
You hadn't noticed your team of advisors come in, but they all marvel at the system. Now to get down to business. You'll want boots on the ground on whatever planet(s) you choose to colonise, get some prefabs going and maybe mine a bit. What do you do?

Personnel:

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 05:15:56 am »

"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 06:13:41 am »

What do you do?

Thanks for the choice.

Jokes. Jokes.

Send in Military to secure the area. Start working on prefabs, and after the area is secure on the earthlike planet, send 'em down, and begin colonization.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:16:02 am by Kestrel_6 »
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

yourfears

• Bay Watcher
  • immortalis redundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 12:33:11 pm »

look for prospective settlement sites. send military to make a defensive perimeter at the site. we don't know if there is any hostile wildlife. begin prefab construction
voice of evil reason

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 01:37:30 pm »

Requesting data on Earth-like planet(will it bear life or requires terraforming?, eventual life, resources, atmosphere, geography), its moons(resources), and those promisingly looking moons(resources, water, if water eventual life) of Gas Giant. I'd say we should acquire those data by sending some machines prospecting them, and maybe some soldiers on Earth-like planet if it does bear life. Don't settle yet, we should pick most promising place (specially in availability of resources and life bearing ability, without hostile organisms if possible). If we will be able get those information by this month lower priority of reflective armor, so that it will use around 50% of time our scientist work, and rest will be spent on data analysis. If ships AI can run analysis(pick most interesting bits) of those let it run.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 10:29:15 am »

You formulate a few ideas in your head, and decide that you need more information before you settle. You ask for Albert again, and question him about probing the planets and moons.
" Hmm. I could throw together a few probes in the assembly. However, 4 would take until next month to build, and would require some sort of orbital vehicle to pick up."
You also ask about prefab structures.
" Ah yes, prefabs. 250 man buildings would be simple, only requiring about 100 concrete and you could make 5 a month. Solar Power generators would be enough for 10 of these, and would again only take a month, and 100 copper. There is the probability of turrets as well. Manned and manned by a simple AI. Armaments could range from machine guns to cannons and rail guns. Any other structures could be made if you asked."
He writes up a list, and places it on a table.
" Goodbye."
You order him to construct one probe, and manufacture two prefabs. The rest of the month passes by uneventfully.
17th SEPTEMBER 2027, MONDAY.
Pretty busy today. Bridget wants you in the lab and Albert wants you as well. May as well head to Bridget first.
" Hello Sir. We are now going to demonstrate our reflective armour system."
A scientist comes past with a big bulky scientific laser, and points it at a sheet of strange looking metal. He fires it and the beam bounces off considerably weaker.
" Our armour is about as good as it can get. It should give the aliens a run for their money. In addition we analysed the probe results from the Earthlike. It appears that an Industrial civilisation exists on one continent, with a few scattered cities. The other continent is jungle, plains, and mountains. Large deposits of copper, iron, and coal. The plains have some tungsten and iron."
You ponder, and then decide to head to Albert.
" Hello once again. We have the prefabs operational, and ready to drop onto where you need em' immediately."
Alan also catches up to you, and says that his training program was a complete failure. No new skilled people have been developed.
You nod and walk back to the bridge, and mull over what has developed. What do you do now?

Personnel:

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 11:14:33 am »

Create those 4 probes this month, and orbital picking up vehicle next month. We will send them to two most promising moons of gas giant, one to most promising Earth-like planet moon. Also lets name those planets in some human way, not just scientist notations.
Training program does not have to be ultra quick, I believe we should organize it in more long-term manner, like earth universities. Quick training would only make more engineers at most, and we want fully fleshed scientists to boost our tech development. Encourage scientists to work with students for now.

Does those deposits of metals are on other continent?
I am wondering about those industrial people - they could go in totally different way it they wouldn't meet us, and that way we could use their ideas. Problem is that is really loooooong(like longer that those game will last probably) term plan, but we can use that as extra rp. We could settle on but that will wait for one-three months. Send some scouts to uncivilized continent, grab some local specimen for analysis, remember to keep safety against(both our and planet ones) bacteria, viruses and parasites. While most of them probably wont survive in our environment(too different) some could create real disaster to both sides. We don't want to repeat that barbarism done to native Americans don't we?
Anyway send some micro robotic spies to industrial civ to gather data on their cultures and biology.

Also scientists could get some extra reward for armor. ASAP begin production of it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 02:44:49 pm »

Examine native life with probes.

Are they caron-based? B!lind, deaf? Warlike, pacifists, musically inclined or deprived? Focused on factories, backwards in industry and infrastructure but possessing advanced computers or biotech, schizo-tech in general or no? All on one continent or merely less easily detectible? Religious or atheistic, and for how long? Are they the aliens who destroyed Earth?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 05:28:56 am »

17th DECEMBER 2027, Monday.
A new month, and new stuff. Four probes have rolled out of the factory, and a one man orbital tug is designed. It is fairly expensive, but reusable. Should be constructable next month. A consideration of how to get the scouts to the planet was overlooked, however, so that was put on hold. The survey of the moons was completed.
Gas Giant Moon "Washington": Copper, coal, gold. Trees of a hardwood variety are detected.
GG Moon " Iowa": No minerals detected. Tribal Aliens detected.
Planet Moon " Alaska" Oil reserves detected. Icy tundra.
Planet Moon "Texas" No materials found.
The scientists get to work with the students. Results should come about in three months. Reflective armour for soldiers is made in batches of 50 and requires 10 steel and plastic. You make a single batch.
The scientists are rewarded with some of Hydro's special alcohol reserves.
So, what do you do now?

Personnel:
Pages: 1 [2] 3