Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guild System - brainstorming, suggestions and help wanted.  (Read 2165 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Guild System - brainstorming, suggestions and help wanted.
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:27:11 am »

Ok. Bear with me for a moment.

TrueTransformation, a dfhack plugin, allows multiple transformations. This is huge. Apart from all kinds of shenanigans that you can do with this, you can do a Guild System. And I mean a big one. There is a big suggestion post about Guilds, which I will quote here, so that everyone knows what I mean.

While I cant really work with nobles, I can use buildings, reactions and transformations. And the caste system. I would scrap my old caste system and base the entire dwarven society on guilds. Guild members could give each others slight buffs. Guild members get different attributes and skills and skill learn rates. Dwarves could become a guild member in guildhouse workshop, and they transform into a "guild apprentice". This apprentice gets minor buffs. After a year, he transforms into a "guild member" getting more buffs, and after 3 more years, a "guild master". This guild master also gets an interaction that stops all other dwarves from becoming guildmaster of that guild, that way you can only have one. He gets a very high buff.

I could make a workshop category for Guildhouses, (10-12 probably) and each guild has their own headquarter. These houses would of course require buildings mats that fit the guilds theme, and the reaction to join a guild would cost something as well. So if your "carpenter guild member" suddently joins the "masons guild", because you need more masons, he will lose his carpentry buffs, and gain small masonry buffs... after a year, he becomes a full guild member.

Now... all this is probably quite a bit of work. So I just wanted to know what people think of all this, before I do anything. Maybe other modders will chime in with ideas as well. I know that most things in the big post I quoted are not possible through modding, but we can do other things. :)

I personally like the idea very much. Give dwarves the option to join the Legion of the Dead, or the Freemasons, or House Stark Raving Mad. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Guild System - brainstorming, suggestions and help wanted.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:30:11 am »

Hm I like it a lot. If such is possible what if you added minor ranks to it such as "Making 10 masterwork items" or such for better bonuses other than that posting to see what comes about

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:33:13 am »

Gaybarowner, this is sadly not possible and your punctuation is atrocious. You might of course want to ignore me on that one.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:38:38 am »

Gaybarowner, this is sadly not possible and your punctuation is atrocious. You might of course want to ignore me on that one.
:[ there goes my smile for the day

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:58:54 am »

The reason I've invented dwarven caste system is because I was one of those people who wanted guilds back.

Now a new era dawns upon dwarves. I have a bit different vision on how to do it, but otherwise my general ideas about guilds and castes are close to yours. Time to brainstorm!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:04:04 am »

Well, I will just leave this here and see what people can come up with. I cant really upgrade guild members based upon how much work they do, so time seemed to be the most useful alternative.

What is your idea deon?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 09:00:18 am »

Well, initially a dwarf "signs contract" in a guildhouse. Then he becomes level 1 apprentice.

Every time he's on break for a long period of time, he gets a level (transforms into a different aprentice). They need free time to think about what they have learned (consider it Morrowind's sleep variant). So if you interrupt dwarves with siren a lot, they take longer to progress in their guilds.

I just need to figure out how to set up "levels". I don't want them to be separate creatures. Would castes with POP_RATIO:0 work? I remember back in the days you could still find creatures of castes with ratio 0, is it fixed now?

There can be also items which bestow syndromes only on appropriate guilds and guild levels using Putnam's itemSyndrome.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:02:44 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:31:38 am »

That would reward dwarves that are lazy. ^^

Break timer would work, but how many levels do you plan? You would have to make a transformation every time he makes a break. The break timer values dont accumulate. Pop_Ratio:0 is still broken as far as I know, it would have to be creature castes. Skills and skill learn rates cant be changed by interaction/syndromes.

Caste/Guild specific items would be possible, I wanted to do a "legion of the dead" armor for the Legionnaires. But other then military uniforms, how would you assign the items to specific dwarves? Yeah, miner = picks, and woodcutter = axe, but thats about it. Except you want to give wood a syndrome, to be applied to all carpenter-guild members ;)

My idea with apprentice, member and master would be based on castes with low pop-ratio as well. You get a farmers guild member as a migrant? thats ok, Why not?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:58 am »

I meant pop_ratio:0 on the castes... Would you still get immigrants with levels in guilds then?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:48:37 am »

Thats what I meant too. Pop_Ratio:0 castes will still appear as far as I know. Granted, I havent tested it in a while, but I dont think that df34 fixed that without mentioning it anywhere.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:11:35 am »

Oh man this is definitely something I would like to eventually include in my cult of ra mod. You could use it for religion as well with all the cults or sects or whatever. People join and start their long journey of worship and perils and over time they go from simple acolytes/cultists to zealous paragons and etc.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 11:22:21 am »

I was going to do this for adventure mode. I was thinking that for soldier guilds that you level them by COMBAT_HARDNESS via self targeted interaction with no usage hint.

Laggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 11:32:02 am »

Couldn't you do guild promotions based on the amount of XP the dwarf gains in a particular set of skills?

Like, when a dwarf joins a guild, store his personal XP in the relevant skills.  Then, after each reaction he runs in that labor set, check if his XP went up above Y amount, and if so, promote him?

I'm pretty sure its possible with the lua engine :o

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 03:47:49 am »

Couldn't you do guild promotions based on the amount of XP the dwarf gains in a particular set of skills?

Like, when a dwarf joins a guild, store his personal XP in the relevant skills.  Then, after each reaction he runs in that labor set, check if his XP went up above Y amount, and if so, promote him?

I'm pretty sure its possible with the lua engine :o
I certainly cant. Not with modding.

I was going to do this for adventure mode. I was thinking that for soldier guilds that you level them by COMBAT_HARDNESS via self targeted interaction with no usage hint.
I have this for the kobold castes, that works in a way.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 01:07:47 pm »

Meph, I don't have too many ideas to add yet but this is a great idea and you should do it :D
Pages: [1] 2