Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guild System - brainstorming, suggestions and help wanted.  (Read 2160 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Guild System - brainstorming, suggestions and help wanted.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »

Hm. Well.

At the moment, all I do is just separate the guild members into designated areas and RP that as their Guildhall.

However, if someone could work on a Dfhack plugin that separates people into guilds by profession, that would be a start.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:49:47 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 03:09:40 pm »

My problem with guilds (in my personal homebrew) is working out what the actual advantages of being in one are. Once you get past a relevant skill increase, what can you give Guild A that distinguishes them from Guild B? After all, with most skills, you can raise them to Legendary and that Guild advantage is no longer important.

I'm toying with a different kind of guild in my own game, one where dwarves get syndrome tags to indicate their affiliation, then a Guild Marker (based on Meph's wards) regularly buffs all of that guild within a short range. Since you can practically only get so many workshops in that area, you cluster types together, which in turn leads to guild districts. It's hardly perfect, and I'm working on a lot of tuning for it, but it satisfies my desire for being a member of a particular guild to make a difference to a dwarf, even if it's more on a community level than an individual level.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 03:13:58 pm »

Reduce skill learn rates to 10% outside of guild-skills, and you will have a reason to build guildhalls. Normal dwarves would be really bad at everything, including learning to do anything.

I like the guildmarker idea. It will have to be an unmoveable pet, but it will keep things more or less focused on one area. Like a mascot almost. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 03:19:21 pm »

Hm.

Would this be applicable to Adv. mode? I would like to RP as a journeyman, and my guilds are more typical RPG classes than guilds.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 03:27:18 pm »

I do not care, he proclaimed proudly.

So... usually I would say no, since its based on Guild-Workshops, but with advfort from dfhack, the answer might actually be YES. 
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 03:30:40 pm »

Now I go into deeper voodoo.

Would it be theoretically possible, with voodoo and modding , to create a Thieves' Guild?

It's unlikely, but better to know now than find out the hard way.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 04:02:02 pm »

I am all for voodoo, but what would you use it for? How do you want to steal, if you cant leave the fortress map ?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 04:09:35 pm »

Play off my fortress against itself. It'd make for an interesting succession fort; one overseer controlling the city, another controlling the criminal under(over?)world.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 04:13:46 pm »

I dont even...

That makes no sense at all in a normal fort. I guess Toady could implement thievery, with dwarves stealing items belonging to other dwarves, and use the eye witness system from the vampires to find them... and then have them hammered/arrested. But thats nothing you can mod.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »

But...*cries*

Well, meh. I'll watch this thread and see where it goes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 05:31:39 pm »

I will lock this and use my old suggestions/brainstorming thread. It will re-appear shortly.

Here we go
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:41:49 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 [2]