Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: [0.34.11] [SPOILERS] The Tale of Wirejade  (Read 94561 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: The (not so) last stand of Wirejade [SPOILERS]
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2013, 08:33:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like how there's just some random piles of dwarven wheat flour and dwarven sugar in all that mess.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2013, 01:34:50 pm »

How about an automated swimming pool? To avoid falling-related injuries, bring the water to your dwarves! Hint: equipment and live dwarves can be pushed through anything that lets water flow through it horizontally, but probably not through floor grates and certainly not through pumps.

Something like the dwarven bathtub, or that thing to train swimming skill with? I guess I could tell dwarves to walk to a certain area, which is even easier since everyone is organised into squads, and have water flow in there through a channel closed by a floodgate just before water depth becomes dangerous, using a water-triggered pressure plate, but I have wells and soap for cleaning and swimming skill isn't very useful. Unless there is some other purpose I'm not aware of. Anyway, now I have the idea of building a waterfall tower in the middle of the new statue garden. Judging from my experience with a pumpstack, it shouldn't impact my framerate (which is now at a stable 6-8 FPS) too severely.

I always found glass FBs to be of a particularly vicious appearance. Extremely fragile... Extremely sharp.

This one only managed to maim a war dog or two. Glass beast have a high mass - I imagine that a glass web-spinner could be quite a threat. I think I had one, actually, but an artifact trap broke it in half.

I like how there's just some random piles of dwarven wheat flour and dwarven sugar in all that mess.

Flour, blood, sugar, devil goo... oh, and of course antman ichor. There was a small antmen tribe in the first caverns once. My first few attempts at eradicating them failed, mostly thanks to their queen, Brushedfrozes the Confidence of Dyes. Since then, their ichor has been spread just about everywhere.

The cannon - in a semi-automatic version at least - is working! There is now a "wet" part, where the minecart is refilled with water, and a "dry" part, which pushes it back to the start. The minecart is transfered from one to another with the use of a hatch opened by pressure plate. I've only recently realized I can use a hatch instead of a retractable bridge for greater reliability and reloading speed - a bridge is opened 99 or 100 ticks after the signal is sent, whereas a hatch opens instantly. Of course, that means some water will inevitably flow from the "wet" to the "dry" part. I have to only balance out the drainage system and the water supply now... maybe find a way to limit the amount of lost water, too. And then - a fully automatic version! I'll post the blueprints when it's ready.

Due to a flaw in the design - up/down stairs where up stairs should be - a fire-breathing FB flew into the middle of the busiest lane of the fort. About a dozen dwarves died in the flames, and the burning and rotting bodies blocked the passage for a long time. One of the killed was Reg Sneakedurns - the best cook in the fort, good enough to be depicted on engravings and figurines, raising masterful roasts. I would've given her a platinum sarcophagus if there were anyhing left to bury.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2013, 07:27:47 pm »

Then give her a platinum slab.

thoushaltcallmelars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2013, 01:15:07 am »

So much in this thread is sigworthy that I can't even decide what to sig...
Overseer Lars cancels Fortress Mode; Raging at his own stupidity.

Suffice to say, I shall forever associate all dyers with Bomrek Romekas, The Dyer, who slew four dwarves (and wounded a speardwarf) and a wardog while alive, without weapons, armor, or even clothing, before rising from the dead to rip three dwarves' limbs off. Wasn't even combat with the ghost, just "<ghost> batters <dwarf>" and I look and there's a leg, a sock, and a pool of blood.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2013, 10:52:36 am »

So much in this thread is sigworthy that I can't even decide what to sig...
Sig it all Urist. Sig it all.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2013, 09:55:57 am »

Then give her a platinum slab.

Alas, slabs can only be made of rock.

After overcoming numerous issues with the auto version of the cannon, I made it fire two times in a row. Somewhat underwhelming, but still an improvement, since it goes from place to place correctly. I have to adjust the water supply so it can sustain prolonged fire. The bridge dropping the minecart into the reloading system was replaced with a floor grate, which has the same tick delay for activation with a pressure plate, but doesn't make the minecart fly in random directions. I don't know the friction value for grates and floor bars - I assume it's the same as a normal floor tile, not that it matters much. The bad news are that automatisation without using power seems impossible. I had to use rollers. Only about 29 ticks pass between the activation of the pressure plate opening the way for the minecart to return (I had to count that myself in case impulse ramps behave oddly again), so I'd have to keep it somehow "busy" and still moving for circa 70 ticks before sending it back with an impulse ramp, so it doesn't drop back into the reloading system. Maybe somebody else can figure this out, I'm out of ideas. Anyway, I should put up the schematics relatively soon. I hope. Solving one issue breeds another - I even flooded a part of the fort at a time. I'm now more careful about the order in which levers are pulled.

You see, these cannons are going to be a substantial part of the Hell outpost I'm going to construct. This is why I was trying to make a powerless version. I suppose I'll just make an artificial waterfall out of a cavern lake and have it drain into an eerie glowing pit. Of course deep underground nothing stops me from using magma as ammunition, but power must be provided by water. The aboveground part will also see its fortifications lined with cannon batteries.

So the current plans include mining out and processing all the adamantine, constructing an out post in Hell, complete with cannons, silk farms (there are some web-spinning demons I hope to lure into them), a baiting system, marksdwarf bastions and possibly a few more things, building a tall tower out of obsidian, replacing all the furniture with electrum, finishing paving the fort with said metal, creating a new statue garden with mist generators, and couple of other projects I don't remember at the moment.

Speaking of adamantine - the spires go straight through the magma sea, so before I send the miner I have to let in water to obsidianise the surrounding magma. Pockets of magma can even appear within the spire. I lost a miner this way. I started with the north-western spire - a floodgate, a lever, and a door so the miners can walk in after all is done. Now, the nearby pool is 2 z-levels high. I installed everything, opened the floodgate and sent in a miner to dig out the last tile. I expected him to outrun the water rushing in, but apparently pressure had a different opinion. At one moment, I noticed a job cancellation due to dangerous terrain. The magma was cooled down, but now I had a drowning miner, and it wasn't an ordinary one - he was the creator of Wealthwinters, the second artifact created in the fort's history, the floor hatch which at one moment was the only thing standing between the fort and the demonic Siege From Below, and the husband of late Reg Sneakedurns. While trying to create him an escape route, I noticed he's moving. He approached a nearby ramp and disappeared. This happened a few more times, so I took a look on the z-level above. Now, the cavern pool in question can be divided into two parts - northern and southern, separated by a narrow rock wall cutting it's width to one third of its normal value. The northern part was drained of water so rapidly it became passable, and the miner - after a few attempts stopped by water flow pushing him back -  just walked out. Where did the water go?

Spoiler: Right here. (click to show/hide)

I shut down the floodgate and left it all for later use. And then a winged ribbon worm Tharumi Murkechoed residing below had the wonderful idea to fly up and wreak some havoc.

In order to even reach it, I had to dig a staircase down to where it was at the moment. Do you remember that Ber Hammerbearded fellow? It ripped out his right arm. And he survived, and even got back to pick up his sword, when the beast was slain. This didn't stop the trouble. The water flooded the entire hallway between the forges, the ore stockpiles and the barracks of the Fenced Neutrality. I hewed out some space above and constructed two pump batteries trying to displace the water, to no avail. It's still there. I guess I'll just make a small pumpstack and add magma to the equation.

There was another beast in the first caverns, with an interesting syndrome. First, unconsciousness. Then numbness and nausea, not that it matters much for an unconscious creature. Then the spine began to rot. Shortly before death, the victim would wake up and spend it's last conscious minutes suffocating and being torn apart by a giant, horned, feathered moose. The artifact trap saved my soldiers.

The dwarven caravan of year 161 did not appear for no apparent reason. Since then, I've received two "The fortress attracted no migrants this season" messages. Something is wrong. Have I driven the home civ extinct?

Some more random fun:

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2013, 12:12:11 am »

The dwarven caravan of year 161 did not appear for no apparent reason. Since then, I've received two "The fortress attracted no migrants this season" messages. Something is wrong. Have I driven the home civ extinct?

I -think- that happens when enough of your people die, so no one wants to go there anymore, since going to Wirejade = Death.

Honestly I didn't know that that happened anymore.

Spoiler 2 looks tasty. :D
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2013, 05:00:44 am »

Swimming raises attributes, making dwarves faster and more durable, that's why I suggested it.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2013, 01:26:41 pm »

I -think- that happens when enough of your people die, so no one wants to go there anymore, since going to Wirejade = Death.

Honestly I didn't know that that happened anymore.

Spoiler 2 looks tasty. :D

Only that I haven't had many deaths recently, just the occasional dwarf suffering a deconstruction accident or stumbling upon an FB. The population is at a stable ~250.

And it doesn't explain why the caravan stopped arriving without an explanation, or why I started receiving messages about the beginning of seasons. There are only two seasons - wet and dry - but now the game tells me about springs and winters too. Has something got corrupted? It's quite a serious issue.

I deconstructed the old depot and built a new one out of platinum, but it probably won't help.

Swimming raises attributes, making dwarves faster and more durable, that's why I suggested it.

I see. Is it better than having dwarves operate pumps without actually pumping anything? I've started searching for an optimal location, anyway.

As a bonus, here's the place memorialising the struggle against the forces of the underworld. It's been ready for a while now, I just kept forgetting to post it.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2013, 02:27:33 pm »

I see. Is it better than having dwarves operate pumps without actually pumping anything? I've started searching for an optimal location, anyway.

Why not both?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

snjwffl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »

Pump operating doesn't raise agility, and swimming does.  On the other hand, swimming doesn't raise toughness and pump operating does.  Besides those they're pretty much the same (between the two of them, every physical attribute gets raised).

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2013, 02:57:34 pm »

First, I'm kinda short on dwarves idle enough to pump, and second, using a pool would give me more control over how who exactly is exercising at the moment. Agility is more desirable for me since it improves movement speed, and my dwarves haul a lot. A swimming pool it is, then. Is the optimal water depth 4/7?

The cannon is up to 10 shots in a row, and you can put one every two tiles for greater firepower. I need to install a few so I have anything to make screenshots of. I still get minor optimisation ideas every once in a while.

I got a third artifact adamantine mace. I wish it had been a war hammer just for a change. I also have two artifact bucklers; are those better than non-artifact shields?

The most pivotal issue, however, is the lack of immigration and caravans. Without those, the fortress is at risk of a slow death, when accidents claim dwarf after dwarf. I have no clue what could've caused this, and I need this solved as soon as possible, or introduce some "family-friendly" policies (put dwarves into a small room, lock it down, let them out only when they form couples).

EDIT: One more thing: the latest FB encounter left me with another one-handed soldier. Should I let them carry both a weapon and a shield or order them to leave shields behind?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:40:10 pm by Hetairos »

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »

It's the fourth year since the homeland fell silent. No caravans, no immigrants. No matter what terrible disaster befell The Whip of Beaches, Wirejade stands alone now. But haven't we faced the greatest threats known to dwarfkind? Haven't we come out victorious? Our craftsdwarves can create unsurpassed beauty. Our engineers improve the fortress constantly in new and ingenious ways. Our soldiers are capable of striking down any abomination from the depths. Their arms and armour have no equal in this world. Wirejade can and will grow greater than it ever was. Long live The Last Mountainhome!

If I want things to happen in the way described above, I'll have to stimulate the population growth a bit. I can begin as soon as the designated area is sufficiently stocked with booze, which may take some time, since dwarves drink it faster than it's brewed.

Do you remember the miraculously saved miner from a few updates ago? Well, he's dead. Killed by a tile of bugged obsidian. When I was pouring water into the magma pool, it would occasionally flow diagonally and form unsupported tiles of obsidian. They would cave in instantly upon formation, splashing magma on the z-level above, and therefore into (or very close to) water. However, obsidian tiles formed this way cause a cave in upon being mined out. Zefon will be missed, especially due to being one of the last few legendary miners left in the fortress. Without him, all projects involving mining have been greatly slowed down. His slab stands next to that of his wife.

Most of the time and effort since the last update was spent on various improvements and alterations of logistical nature, which - despite their importance - wouldn't make for a passionate read. Livestock reduction, gold ore delivery, that sort of thing. The refuse piles I posted some time ago are gone, their contents cast into magma with the use of minecarts.

There was, however, a dragon.

It arrived on the southern edge of the map and promptly walked into a cage trap. I'm going to use it for... uhm, livestock "disposal" for now. I don't really need a thousand animals, and dragonfire doesn't leave those pesky remains behind. Then I'll have it trained as a war beast. Oh, and it doesn't have a nose. Knowing this game, I suppose a dwarf bit it off a long time ago or something.

A scorpion FB was spotted in the third caverns and even though I could've killed it with retracting spears, I decided to give the soldiers some live training. It pushed a swordswarf around for a while before being bisected with a ☼candy axe☼. Kind of anticlimactic. At least its slayer is now known as Rakust Paintedbeached the Crypts of Liberation in recognition of her fifth kill. I imagine while the swordswarf was narrowly escaping one deadly blow after another she just casually walked up to the beast and struck it with her weapon.

A weretortoise ambushed and almost killed a dwarf, but a tigerman killed it before it finished him off. Who transformed on the next full moon? The heavily injured dwarf? Nope, the tigerman, even though he had been barely scratched. It happened in the jail, where he was presumably feeding on the prisoners' food stock. One dwarf was killed, but another managed to fend it off for long enough for the werebeast to retransform, though not without losing some teeth.

Uh oh, she's still following the tigerman and bashing him with her crossbow. I have a bad feeling about this.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2013, 03:23:52 am »

Uh huh. Loyalty cascade time?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2013, 01:44:52 pm »

Uh huh. Loyalty cascade time?

Crisis averted. They're both locked in the hospital's cloth stockpile. She's beating him up with an ☼alpaca bone crossbow☼, and he bit off her toe. She is labelled a member of the local government and an enemy of the civ, so yeah, loyalty cascade material. For a moment the fort was a wrong turn and a few crossbow shots away from almost inevitable collapse. That kind of thing reminds me why did I install floor hatches on every single level of the central staircase of the main part of the fortress.

That would've been hilarious, though. Dozens of Forgotten Beasts, including some only killable by complex traps. The entire host of the underworld. Dragons and minotaurs. All neutralised. And then a freaking tigerman who was in the wrong place at the wrong moment would've made the fort implode.

I'm going to arrange a heated meeting between the tigermen and the dragon in return.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21