Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Pi Day
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 06:51:52 pm »

mmmm pi, bout as sexy as mol

Moles... They may be the death of me.

Still not as bad as VSEPR though, I fucking hate memorization.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57:07 pm »

I don't like math.

So fuck pi.

I am seriously going to complain about people who complain about math EVERY DAY from now on.
It's like people who hate music
Have you ever met a person who hates music as a whole???
No, you haven't, because there isn't one
And why do people hate math and not music?
Because they were never forced to learn how to transpose from C to Eb and to learn their entire circle of fifths and to learn the applications of an appoggiatura and the exact formula for determining the frequency of a note given the note's relation to middle A when they were in elementary school, that's why.
You hate math because you were taught math wrong. You were taught that a triangle is bh/2. You were taught that x^2=x*x.
But you were never taught these by a mathematician. You were taught these by someone who was taught in the exact same way you were: memorization, with no rhyme or reason. Math is beauty. Math is art. You learned that x=(-b[+-]sqrt(b^2-4ac))/2a, but you were never told about how absolutely beautiful that is, and you probably won't know how beautiful it is because it was pounded in your head so hard that it becomes almost sickening. Look at how simple that formula is. Run that through, and you will always get the correct answers for ax^2 + bx + c = 0, for all a and b and c. And people don't think that's beautiful.

How criminal.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 07:00:58 pm »

i remember my algebra 2 teacher making a stupid quadratic equation song, this is saving my ass in college T_T

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:03 pm »

Was your teacher's name Jonathon Coulton, by any chance?

Anyway, we're celebrating Pi Day with pie. And cobbler. But mostly pie.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 07:38:07 pm »

Because they were never forced to learn how to transpose from C to Eb and to learn their entire circle of fifths and to learn the applications of an appoggiatura and the exact formula for determining the frequency of a note given the note's relation to middle A when they were in elementary school, that's why.
But... These things are important! You need this fundamental knowledge of how music works if you want to really enjoy playing music.
I'm teaching myself guitar, and I'm putting a lot of focus on musical theory. I know others that have also taught themselves guitar and they just sort of find songs they like and play them and when they feel like composing something themselves, they just have the same old chords to play because they don't understand the maths behind why the chords are the way they are. They can't build their own note progressions because they don't know why things work the way they do.

This stuff is useful. It is one thing to say 'This is an art and we can be as free-spirited as we like!' but you are undermining the true value of what you are doing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 07:39:18 pm »

They are important. They are useful. I wouldn't be able to mention those things off the top of my head if I didn't know them. But imagine if you were someone with no interest in performing music and you were forced to learn that. That's what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:40:51 pm by Putnam »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

Well the difference is that it is very hard to get through life without some understanding of maths. I'm not sure if you could get by without having at least some simple formulas like compound interest memorized.
It seems the majority of people will go their entire lives without needing to play music. Those that have a passion for it are free to sit down with a pencil and paper and write down scales, where as if you don't want to expose yourself to such a thing you don't need to.

For maths, well you just need to know how it works, and you need those fundamentals that they teach early on before you can start composing your own.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 08:09:40 pm »

Well the difference is that it is very hard to get through life without some understanding of maths. I'm not sure if you could get by without having at least some simple formulas like compound interest memorized.

Not in today's world you don't.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:32 pm »

I don't like math.

So fuck pi.

I am seriously going to complain about people who complain about math EVERY DAY from now on.
It's like people who hate music
Have you ever met a person who hates music as a whole???
No, you haven't, because there isn't one
And why do people hate math and not music?
You hate math because you were taught math wrong. You were taught that a triangle is bh/2. You were taught that x^2=x*x.
But you were never taught these by a mathematician. You were taught these by someone who was taught in the exact same way you were: memorization, with no rhyme or reason. Math is beauty. Math is art. You learned that x=(-b[+-]sqrt(b^2-4ac))/2a, but you were never told about how absolutely beautiful that is, and you probably won't know how beautiful it is because it was pounded in your head so hard that it becomes almost sickening. Look at how simple that formula is. Run that through, and you will always get the correct answers for ax^2 + bx + c = 0, for all a and b and c. And people don't think that's beautiful.

How criminal.

Have you ever read Lockhart's Lament?

Was your teacher's name Jonathon Coulton, by any chance?

Anyway, we're celebrating Pi Day with pie. And cobbler. But mostly pie.

I had one that sang the song too; Mrs. Bernard.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 08:22:11 pm »

yes I have :P

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 08:27:36 pm »

i remember my algebra 2 teacher making a stupid quadratic equation song, this is saving my ass in college T_T
It didn't happen to be to the tune of frere jacques did it?

Negative b, negative b, plus minus square root! plus minus square root! b squared minus 4 a c, b squared minus 4 a c, all over 2 a, all over 2 a.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »

Please Putnam where would I find a teacher like that?

I wish I could enjoy math like some people do... :/
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 08:30:43 pm »

Quick, someone break out the correct Taylor series (I think it was)! We're going infinite here.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:05 pm »

Please Putnam where would I find a teacher like that?

I wish I could enjoy math like some people do... :/

Well... to enjoy math, I mostly started by playing around with calculators. Plugging sin(x) into a calculator's graph function before I knew what a sine was really hit it off for me. Like "woah, there's a math thing that does that!". You could also read some books--Godel, Escher, Bach worked really well for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4