Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51769 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #375 on: May 12, 2014, 02:06:10 pm »

I would try this and get some, but money isn't great, and I'm living with my parents.
The initial outlay is steep in some cases but the daily cost for these is much lower than normal food.

$85 a week is almost double my normal grocery bill. Granted that's the most expensive way to order it, but even getting a subscription for the biggest order is still ~$60 a week, which is perhaps 33% more then a normal grocery bill (I normally spend $40 - $50 or so per week, for one person)

It's only cheaper if you buy lots of prepackaged meals and other processed garbage. If you buy staples and cook your own meals, real food is cheaper.

Price is actually my biggest problem with it. I wouldn't mind eating gloop all day every day, but I'm not going to pay extra to eat gloop instead of real food.
I was talking about the DIY stuff, which can be just a few dollars a day.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2014, 02:10:41 pm »

So all but one minor ingredient arrived today and I whipped up a batch. It honestly wasn't too bad. A bit gritty. I made enough for a full day and left the rest in the fridge to sit to see if letting it stand for a while will reduce the grit. Overall though it really wasn't bad and after one blender bottle of the stuff I feel pretty full.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2014, 02:17:47 pm »

In terms of additives, I think instant chai is currently my winner. The flavor works really well with corn masa, it's simple to add, and relatively affordable.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2014, 09:22:01 am »

Finally got around buying my proteins today, I'll make my first batch later tonigh. I'm still missing calcium powder, but I shoudl survive for a while.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2014, 09:54:25 am »

Huh, dat steep price tag; :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2014, 10:11:26 am »

You should look at DIY soylent.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2014, 04:14:42 pm »

Finally got around buying my proteins today, I'll make my first batch later tonigh. I'm still missing calcium powder, but I shoudl survive for a while.
Which recipe did you go with?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2014, 04:37:58 pm »

A recipe of my own. :p

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #383 on: May 18, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »

A recipe of my own. :p
Care to share?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 19, 2014, 02:54:54 am »

Here it is. Don't worry about all the micronutrients, I didn't include my vitamin pill in that recipe.

I do have a big problem with solubility, all the flour sediments at the bottom. I'm thinking about adding soy lecithin, or trying it without buckwheat.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #385 on: May 19, 2014, 06:39:07 am »

The problem you mention with 'solubility' is because you're making a suspension, not a solution. I'm looking for a way to cut down on the grit as well, but so far nothing has really worked.

Though I think once I've gotten used to it, it won't be a big deal.

I dumped a mug of coffee in my soylent this morning which worked out surprisingly well.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 19, 2014, 10:34:37 am »

Tossing in a banana has helped solubility for me. Also, peanut butter or extra oil (it looks like you aren't using any at all - I highly recommend it for texture). I only have corn masa for flour, though, so YMMV. Give it a couple of minutes in your blender at a high speed and you should be good to go. Looks like you're missing a ton of vitamins, though, so I hope you're taking a multivitamin on the side or something.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #387 on: May 19, 2014, 10:43:23 am »

Tossing in a banana has helped solubility for me. Also, peanut butter or extra oil (it looks like you aren't using any at all - I highly recommend it for texture). I only have corn masa for flour, though, so YMMV. Give it a couple of minutes in your blender at a high speed and you should be good to go. Looks like you're missing a ton of vitamins, though, so I hope you're taking a multivitamin on the side or something.
He did say he didn't include his vitamin pill.

More oil eh? I could see tossing in a banana when blending. Just one banana for a day's soylent?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 19, 2014, 10:57:09 am »

It looks like my soylent experience will be coming to an end as soon as my current batch is gone.

Turns out my wife absolutely hates the idea of me eating it, and with her recent dedication to "the deals" at the supermarket, it's become a good deal more expensive than the alternative anyway.

Gotta enjoy it while it lasts. :V

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #389 on: May 19, 2014, 11:00:28 am »

She... hates the idea of you eating something? Is she similarly against protein shakes, meal replacements, etc? Seems silly that just because it's a DIY nutrition shake rather than a store-bought.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38