Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38

Author Topic: Soylent Green Is Real, People!  (Read 51751 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent Green Is Real, People!
« Reply #390 on: May 19, 2014, 11:05:17 am »

More oil eh? I could see tossing in a banana when blending. Just one banana for a day's soylent?
I usually make it a meal at a time, since I've only got the one bottle and I've premixed the dry ingredients, so one banana to a single meal is my experience. However, it would probably work with a full day's batch as well.

Also I'm confirmed for lack of reading comprehension.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 19, 2014, 11:11:47 am »

She... hates the idea of you eating something? Is she similarly against protein shakes, meal replacements, etc? Seems silly that just because it's a DIY nutrition shake rather than a store-bought.

Yes. She wants me to eat the stuff SHE makes and buys. :P Also she doesn't think it's okay to "not eat food!!!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #392 on: May 19, 2014, 11:20:37 am »

But it IS food! It interacts with the GI tract just like chewed food, in theory. I haven't noticed any ill effects myself, and thousands of others are doing the same.

Think she would compromise? My own wife is okay with it as a meal replacement so long as we still eat food sometimes because "Food is tasty and I like it."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 19, 2014, 11:49:29 am »

She... hates the idea of you eating something? Is she similarly against protein shakes, meal replacements, etc? Seems silly that just because it's a DIY nutrition shake rather than a store-bought.

Yes. She wants me to eat the stuff SHE makes and buys. :P Also she doesn't think it's okay to "not eat food!!!"

This seems so common, and I don't understand it.  Rob has made the observation that dedication to food seems almost religious at times.

I've been following this stuff from the very first blog post over a year ago, and I've only recently ordered my first batch, because my wife hates the idea of it so much.  Partly due to suspicion about the stuff, and partly because she thinks it will cause problems if I'm consuming this stuff separately from what everyone else is eating.  The thing is, she's one of those people who loves food.  So she has very expensive tastes, but eats in small amounts.  I'll eat whatever is put in front of me, but I'm a big eater.  So following her lead when it comes to food means it takes at least $10-$15 a day to feed me.  And it doesn't seem to click with her that this is ridiculous and I should split off to this stuff and we'll save a ton of money without interfering with her eating whatever she wants.  But now that I've finally ordered some, I'll have the chance to demonstrate and put this thing to rest.  Cannot freaking wait.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 19, 2014, 12:18:32 pm »

But it IS food! It interacts with the GI tract just like chewed food, in theory. I haven't noticed any ill effects myself, and thousands of others are doing the same.

Think she would compromise? My own wife is okay with it as a meal replacement so long as we still eat food sometimes because "Food is tasty and I like it."
I can't think of a single person who would swear off food entirely, though. Even the guy who made it says it "only" replaced 90% of his diet.

It's the finest false dichotomy I've heard of, because it doesn't even make sense. Soylent all the time or not at all? Is that what people really think? :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 19, 2014, 12:59:25 pm »

People always tend to think in... extremes.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 19, 2014, 01:37:00 pm »

Fuzzy logic is hard.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #397 on: May 19, 2014, 02:04:53 pm »

I could see going to 90% soylent if you're on a tight budget or need a very specific controlled diet. Personally I mixed up one 'day' worth of soylent and replaced one meal a day for 4 days with it. Each time I finished it off feeling pretty full and wasn't hungry for hours.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 19, 2014, 02:06:56 pm »

I'm probably going to do 2 meals a day in soylent for the foreseeable future. Dinner has always been more of a social occasion in my family, with everyone gathering around the table and slurping soylent just wouldn't be the same. Plus, I also can relax a bit more the nutrient content of my soylent, because I'll get some of those from normal food.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #399 on: May 19, 2014, 02:09:44 pm »

For me it's all about convenience. Its really hard to fix up a tasty breakfast the night before. I can make a batch of soylent though and just guzzle it down in the morning without worrying about missing out on my food and without taking the time (I'm lazy) to cook in the morning.

I am intrigued by the stories of people baking with soylent...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #400 on: May 19, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »

I floated the idea to my mother and she also thought that not eating food is bad somehow \o/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 20, 2014, 01:37:03 am »

My dad was all like "But you're probably missing tons of phytonutrient we don't know about yet!" Then proceeded to have canard confit for dinner, which is basically salty fat smothered over some duck meat.

Edit: Modified my recipe after finding out that wheat bran makes for a cool fiber source. I'm gonna try that banana too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:17:02 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sirboomalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 20, 2014, 04:08:36 pm »

PTW

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 22, 2014, 02:49:28 pm »

Honey Mustard Chicken is a promising flavor of People Chow. I've still gotta work out the proportions, but basically you add chicken bouillon (or substitute chicken stock for water), ground mustard, vinegar, and honey. Or you could just add prepared honey mustard instead of the last three. Whatever floats your boat.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 22, 2014, 03:14:36 pm »

1) Microorganisms are an important ingredient in real food, and don't seem present here (one could imagine adding probiotics, though, to the recipe)
2) Even if it works just fine, I'm not quite sure I see the point, still. If you want convenience and cheapness, you can already get all kinds of different extraordinarily cheap mixtures of normal food, and make the exact same kind of mixture every time if you want or don't care about variety like him. And you can make stuff that lasts months in a freezer or weeks in a fridge, as opposed to this lasting only a day, so it can probably be even MORE convenient.

Why reinvent the wheel in a bizarre, unproven, difficult for average people to achieve sort of way, when we already know that you'll be just fine if you simply eat a stir fry of noodles and some random veggies and lentils and a few chunks of meat now and then, every day? Which you can do already with available foods in stores now, and is proven not to kill you or whatever, and keeps longer?  It seems better in every way, even by his own variables he says he cares about.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38