Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 537788 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Preparing For War
« Reply #420 on: March 26, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »

NK Social Structure (a diagram):

GREAT LEADER
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Korean People's Army
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Foodstuff
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Korean People

Gee, I remember a similar logic about how we had a responsibility to invade Iraq for the good of the world. How'd that turn out again?  ???

I'm actually wrestling with that idea. North Korea is such a brutal place that it makes Iraq look like Sweden... when is there ever a just war?
By the same token, we heard about how Iraq was such a brutal place that any amount of civilian suffering was a worthy price to pay for freedom. Of course, it's a lot easier to make that judgment call when you're not the one having to pay it.

We freed the Shi'ites from oppression and gave them the freedom to murder Sunnis and blow up our troops.
We freed the Kurds and gave them the freedom to start stirring up trouble in our erstwhile ally Turkey.

Shit like this has LOTS of unintended consequences, is what I'm saying.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 26, 2013, 01:38:56 pm »

Also, some measures taken to pay for the costs of the wars ended up causing* the 2008-2009 financial crisis.

*Overstatement: They contributed to it.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 26, 2013, 02:02:23 pm »

If any intervention must take place, it should be the UN and not the US.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 26, 2013, 02:08:08 pm »

If any intervention must take place, it should be the UN and not the US.
Which is highly unlikely to happen, because it would require an affirmative vote of the Security Council. Russia and/or China are not going to authorize any such intervention so close to their own borders. The only reason that the UN authorized forces in the first Korean War was that the Chinese abstained and the Soviets had boycotted the meeting.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 26, 2013, 02:18:34 pm »

Actually, back in the days the Chinese seat belonged to Taiwain, no China.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 26, 2013, 02:20:07 pm »

I still think permanent members of the security council is a retardedly stupid idea. Or a security council at all, really...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 26, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »

The thing is that the UN structure was never about how things should be but a mirror of how things actually are. Security council was a de-facto club of regional superpowers and nothing more. It has never forced a single decision that would not happen without it but it is a convenient place to discuss serious matters and a little PR boost/sometimes a minor PR inconvenience.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 26, 2013, 02:38:56 pm »

You know, when Fallout 3 came out I said to myself and anyone who would listen (most of my friendship circle at the time) that nuclear war was going to be our downfall; and theorized that it was going to be North Korea who starts it. Guess I may have just become one of those "Apocalypse" preaching guys from Empire Earth; you know the type, long hair, wears a sign that says "The World is Going to End!", possibly is homeless.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 26, 2013, 02:48:32 pm »

And you got this insight from Fallout 3.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 26, 2013, 02:50:33 pm »

Which is highly unlikely to happen, because it would require an affirmative vote of the Security Council. Russia and/or China are not going to authorize any such intervention so close to their own borders. The only reason that the UN authorized forces in the first Korean War was that the Chinese abstained and the Soviets had boycotted the meeting.
China was represented by Taiwan until 1971 (and Soviets boycotted because of that reason).
I think an intervention could happen if it was lead and composed mainly of russians and chinese troops (and not americans).

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 26, 2013, 02:51:11 pm »

Yep.
I had previously bought the 1/2/Tactics beforehand. It was more the post-apocalyptic feel of the game that led me to that decision.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 26, 2013, 03:20:14 pm »

Yep.
I had previously bought the 1/2/Tactics beforehand. It was more the post-apocalyptic feel of the game that led me to that decision.

Of course, everyone will have to become a marauder.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 26, 2013, 04:13:16 pm »

The way I see it, if North Korea actually grows a pair and attacks South Korea / United States bases, as it says it will do, it will just screw itself over.

China has told them to back off and not do anything stupid, and China gives NK food/money aid. China stands with SK and U.S. on the whole "don't shoot nukes" idea.

SK has said back off, or else, and I KNOW they mean it. Their military is not something to be trifled with, especially when backed up by the U.S. SK also gives some aid to NK.

The U.S. has said the same as SK, and pledged to assist if SK needs it. The U.S. also is a huge supplier of food and money aid to NK. The people of the U.S., if NK decides to nuke something belonging to the U.S., will DEMAND retribution, and then a huge problem will develop.

Either NK does something stupid, and ends up worse for the wear, or we end up in a bad situation with nukes flying around. Not that I honestly think NK HAS anything that can send a payload anywhere, but they might. They already have the capability to make a nuke, and a missle is either non-existant, or very well hidden by their obfuscating stupidity. (Thanks, TVTropes)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 26, 2013, 04:35:50 pm »

I don't think North Korea is really comparable to Iraq. Iraq involved a lot of lies and, though you can't really put "value" on suffering and whatever, I would say North Korea is facing Pol Pot levels. Granted there's no killing fields that we know of but for the situation people are living through it's one of the few things that it comes close to.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 26, 2013, 04:39:10 pm »

I wonder what will happen if North Korea pulls another Chenoan, but on a US target. This could be a real pathway to war: I don't imagine any US president sitting idly against that kind of provocation, but NK already did that on SK targets, so it might tempt its luck.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 341