Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42068 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:28 pm »

Does anyone know to get that golden chest inside the pillars outside the ship? I can get next to it, but the walls seem impassable.

There's a secret entrance.  I can confirm that it's possible to get, but it's trolly as crap.  Just explore every option you can (this one took a veteran RPG player for us to find).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2013, 10:02:48 pm »

Does anyone know to get that golden chest inside the pillars outside the ship? I can get next to it, but the walls seem impassable.

There's a secret entrance.  I can confirm that it's possible to get, but it's trolly as crap.  Just explore every option you can (this one took a veteran RPG player for us to find).

I just used the jetpack with a few layers of upgrades...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2013, 10:09:47 pm »

... The Golden chest on the last stage?  That's in the middle of those three pillars, underneath where you find HAN-D? 

I think you're thinking of the wrong chest.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2013, 01:35:46 am »

... The Golden chest on the last stage?  That's in the middle of those three pillars, underneath where you find HAN-D? 

I think you're thinking of the wrong chest.

...Right, I was thinking of the temple as the last stage. Forgot about the ship entirely.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2013, 05:14:12 pm »

Picked this up a couple days ago and WOW is it fun! I'm currently kind of plateaued- I can get to level 3 consistently with Commando or Enforcer, but I have yet to make it to the third teleporter. Any tips?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2013, 07:18:14 pm »

Not sure how well this works with other playing styles, but...

Trigger the portal as soon as you find it, and spend the waiting time killing stuff and opening chests. Only detour past the wait time for items that you specifically want or for drones. Don't worry about missing items.*
Anything that boosts mobility or survivability, or deal passive damage are your friend. Items that are a waste are the banners, stompers and the regen ones that don't scale.

*There's pretty much only one case where you'd actually WANT to sit there and run the timer: You have clovers, infusions, and some way to deal with mass battles. Clovers let rare mobs drop items, infusions give extra HP per mob killed, and, well, you need some way to survive the battle. My favorite is whatever passive damage I have, plus the jetpack (with fuel) and happiness mask.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2013, 07:48:05 pm »

Trigger the portal as soon as you find it, and spend the waiting time killing stuff and opening chests. Only detour past the wait time for items that you specifically want or for drones. Don't worry about missing items.*
Anything that boosts mobility or survivability, or deal passive damage are your friend. Items that are a waste are the banners, stompers and the regen ones that don't scale.

*There's pretty much only one case where you'd actually WANT to sit there and run the timer: You have clovers, infusions, and some way to deal with mass battles. Clovers let rare mobs drop items, infusions give extra HP per mob killed, and, well, you need some way to survive the battle. My favorite is whatever passive damage I have, plus the jetpack (with fuel) and happiness mask.

Hmm, I'll give it a try. I've actually found Warbanners incredibly useful as an Enforcer- if you can turtle up against a wall after you activate a teleporter, all the levelups you get during the spawn rush turn you into invincible rapid-fire beastmode.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2013, 07:58:54 pm »

Haha, I forgot I started this little topic way back in march :P Glad to see this game catching on and finally released. Been playing it quite a bit(a whole lot actually) even after playing the alpha and beta for months.

It's digital crack at it's finest.

EDIT: Oh yeah, add me on steam if you like to play monsoon co-op  8)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:05:47 pm by joey4track »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2013, 08:26:20 pm »

Hmm, I'll give it a try. I've actually found Warbanners incredibly useful as an Enforcer- if you can turtle up against a wall after you activate a teleporter, all the levelups you get during the spawn rush turn you into invincible rapid-fire beastmode.

I tried Enforcer... once. And decided that its lack of mobility was just way too annoying, so I shelved it. My favorite's still Acrid.

Edit: So playing a bit more on different difficulty levels, I'd have to say that, to my playing style, at least, it's better to spend more time gathering items on normal/easy, and more time on the lower levels with a ranged character, higher levels with a melee. My reasoning is that the stuff later on is comparatively safer to melee, compared to the *squish* of sentinels and crabs. If you're farming bosses, then you also won't get the dreaded magma worm.

...Of which, a huntress I'm screwing around with on easy, got 5 of at the same time. 2 of which were overcharged.

Edit, unrelated: So the end of my huntress run, because I'm sleepy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:39:26 am by Aoi »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2013, 05:53:13 am »

The imp felt pretty much useless to me even when it didn't bug out. Its damage was miniscule compared to what I put out and it doesn't distract or control enemies in any way. I guess it's kind of a passive damage if you're in a place that enemies can't reach you but I would've liked it if it was a little more effective. Feel the same way about ghosts, although they don't bug out (would be nice if ghosts from elite mobs kept their souped up damage). The tentacle doesn't even have any kind of stacking effect that I could see.

I would've liked it if the item log explained how effects stack. Money with the piggy bank is clearly faster the more you have, but it is also clearly not a simple linear equation. One bank is 1g/3s, but with 3 banks I was still waiting ~2 seconds to get 1g.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2013, 11:58:43 am »

No use bragging about a win on drizzle :P

Honestly a win isn't worth anything imo unless it is on monsoon  8)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2013, 01:44:03 pm »

Oh, it's not bragging about the win-- it's more along the lines of "man, that is a ton of random crap" and "why did I just waste three hours of my life?" post. =P

My inventory on monsoon games isn't nearly so interesting since the game consists of "run to the portal and pray".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:45:34 pm by Aoi »

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2013, 02:03:33 pm »

Oh, it's not bragging about the win-- it's more along the lines of "man, that is a ton of random crap" and "why did I just waste three hours of my life?" post. =P

My inventory on monsoon games isn't nearly so interesting since the game consists of "run to the portal and pray".

Hear you on the time wasting factor.. That's why I only play monsoon now. At first it was fun to dominate in godmode but it can take so so much time(although I do find it can be quite a meditative experience after awhile) But when/if you do achieve godmode on monsoon, it is damn rewarding.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2013, 02:06:38 pm »

dblpst

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2013, 11:29:39 am »

Spoiler: lulz (click to show/hide)

I found a similar thing on the spaceship level, a teleporter in the upper left corner. But I haven't managed to get enough photon jets/rusty jets to see if it can be activated.

Tip for HAN-D's Kill Ten Enemies achievements: kill a magma worm with it. Not 100% sure why it worked: maybe I was just lucky and there actually were 10 other enemies there (but I don't think so, it wasn't during a teleporter time and most of the other enemies I saw there were the colossus bosses), or if I happened to hit 10 segments at once with the killing blow, or if I killed it with the forced reassembly and its death counted as 10+ enemies no matter how many segments you actually hit with it. But I was surprised to get it. I considered that it might have worked this way but it was also possible that it wouldn't.

Also, does anyone know if you can just AFK after a teleporter to get his "survive 25 minutes above 75% health" achievement, or does it need to be during a not-after-teleporter time like the enforcer achievement?

Edit: Managed to get up to that teleporter. Nothing. Didn't expect it to be but yeah.

Also, has anyone managed to ever find that star looking thing in the item log? From top left, five right and three down. How many thousands of items have I found, and never picked that one up.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:39:03 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20