Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness  (Read 42080 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risk of Rain - Action Roguelikelike Goodness
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2013, 09:23:57 pm »

Once again, I have "Don't Starve", "Natural Selection 2", or "torchlight 2" for trade for a copy of this game. The itch to play ti is growing. Anyone?

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2013, 11:44:58 pm »

Once again, I have "Don't Starve", "Natural Selection 2", or "torchlight 2" for trade for a copy of this game. The itch to play ti is growing. Anyone?

Sure.  PM sent.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2013, 11:50:28 pm »

Wish you could get a record when you finished the game that details the item's you've got when you finished.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2013, 02:16:42 pm »

So how are people dealing with Magma Wurms, particularly the Overcharged variety?

Acrid's my favorite at the moment, but I'm having a rough time, since his attacks don't have a particularly long range (other than 4, which has the long CD...). Effectively, it turns into "run back and forth, drop a poison trail, and wait until drones kill it". Which leads to REALLY long battles later on.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2013, 02:21:52 pm »

That's the reason I don't play acrid.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »

That's the reason I don't play acrid.

Acrid I'm finding to be incredibly flexible and easy to work with because of its passive damage capabilities. The rest generally require standing still or turning around to attack. Acrid drops an acid trail that does damage behind you AND speeds you up for a quick getaway. Also doesn't hurt that his attacks are mostly AoE (after a fashion), so taking out the massive mobs that spawn on higher difficulties is easy.

Range is helped out by the drones or items, if you get them, but... eh. They're iffy. I find the "passive" damage works out better, like the barbed wire or tesla coils, since they'll deal damage when you're on the run.

But... none of these are really good against the worm, or Cremator. (Though the "hard" Cremator, on the lower section, is actually really easy on anybody.)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2013, 03:45:04 pm »

The more and more I play this, the more I feel like the Commando and the Bandit are the strongest classes out there.  I already have all the of the classes but the only one I play consistently is the Commando nowadays.  My friend still plays the bandit and swears by him, but I just keep defaulting to that one beginner class.  A vicious cycle, it is!  :P

But yeah, melee classes kinda get shafted by the Overcharged Magma Worm, easiest way I've dealt with it is to choose another class, or get the Heaven Cracker through sheer luck an sit away and shoot it.

Oh, later if anyone wants to do a couple of co-op runs, go ahead and PM me and I'd totally be up for it.  We might have to do some sort of voice chat but I don't think that'll be a problem (I'm currently writing a 1400-1700 word paper and I'm sitting at 1800 words; I need to make sure it's of good quality, so about another 30 minutes or so and I'll be heading home and we could game).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2013, 05:50:31 pm »

Anyone have any tips? The full version seems much harder then the demo/beta.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2013, 06:35:10 pm »

I just finished the game with the sniper, it was just going to be a test run so I could make sure I hated the class. But holy hell do the crowbar/missiles/bleed/gasoline/willo'thewisp scale like crazy with his autoattack. Even if slow, I made at least 250 - 500 damage every single attack and made VERY short work of the final boss (5-10 minutes I think? this is an improvement over the 20-40 minutes of my first time getting there with the commando).

So, pick sniper, kite, attack every once in a while, get a heaven's cracker, and win.

Anyone have any tips? The full version seems much harder then the demo/beta.

1. Kite, kite like crazy.
2. Get used to the new diff (kind of like starting from zero all over again).
3. Drones are actually useful.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2013, 07:18:03 pm »

But if you kite too much then it extends the time and makes the game more difficult. It ends up taking way too long to kill creatures which exponentially increases the difficulty.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2013, 08:12:12 pm »

I played sniper for all of about 5 minutes, purely and only to unlock his things. The fact that you have to pause for a second when you reload seems kind of killer. With skill, I guess you could reload very quickly (first pass of the bar) and so while jumping so you don't stop moving while reloading. His aim ability is nice, though, given it pierces.

You could try huntress, who can shoot while moving and automatically targets whatever is closest (so you can run away and shoot behind you for example); however, she felt a little wonky because her glaive and bomb shot don't always autoaim the same way as the main attack. Her lack of infinite-target (read: piercing) attacks can make clearing packs annoying, but that is true for several classes.

You could also try the miner. You cannot be hit while dashing, so in my opinion he offers quite a bit more survivability than most classes. It's like having the commando's roll twice, and you even do damage while using them. His other ability is also nice for jumping and blasting the large packs that accumulate at teleporter time. But you have to learn not to use his main attack all the time as you would with some of the others. (Back in the demo I had way better success with the miner than the commando, even though most people preferred the commando.)

Of course, you have to unlock these so maybe this isn't useful.

Though in all, it feels mostly like luck plays a big factor (in terms of good early drops). If I survive to the temple it's usually because the drops I've collected are such that I can just steamroll everything. But I think the same of things like DCSS (although the random factor there is in things like monsters taking double turns), where truly skilled players can win even when they hamper themselves, so luck just covers my lack of skill.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:14:39 pm by Niveras »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2013, 12:15:00 am »

But if you kite too much then it extends the time and makes the game more difficult. It ends up taking way too long to kill creatures which exponentially increases the difficulty.

Depending on your ability, it may be worthwhile to let the timer run regardless. One of my runs, I got the blood infusion (?, +maxhp on kill) and clover (elites can drop items). I ended up with literally about 200 items and 2500hp after going through the stages twice, before heading to the last level.

Besides, are you supposed to actually finish the game before maxing the difficulty meter?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2013, 12:36:08 pm »

To my knowledge, the difficulty doesn't have a cap. It keeps increasing the damage and health regardless.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2013, 01:51:52 pm »

To my knowledge, the difficulty doesn't have a cap. It keeps increasing the damage and health regardless.

Pretty much, yeah.  It's more gradual than it is the earlier jumps in difficulty (and spawn rate), but other than that, you're right.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2013, 08:24:23 pm »

Alright I found out that items are not as important as rushing to the last level, and starting winning games. Also, discovered the robot unlock by accident:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone know to get that golden chest inside the pillars outside the ship? I can get next to it, but the walls seem impassable.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:26:03 pm by Micro102 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20