Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 29566 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #255 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:05 pm »

In polls where I'm allowed to select every option, I typically select every option.

Sorry about that, I set it up like that and haven't bothered to change it.

Do not apologize for allowing me to use the legendary omni-vote. I got far more enjoyment than I should have gotten out of clicking three check boxes and then a button.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 04, 2013, 10:23:57 pm »

I'm just amused that all three options are neck-and-neck-and-neck so far :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2013, 10:44:50 pm »

What's amazing is that almost all my posts in this thread were done from a 3DS, including this one.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 07, 2013, 03:49:26 am »

Exactly a 3-way split on the poll there!

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2013, 04:57:23 pm »

For those in the U.S., select theaters will be showing The Best of Both Worlds as one feature-length film and be upscaled into blu-ray quality on April 25th.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 17, 2013, 05:39:46 pm »

I am now a Captain in STO! That means I lost my awesome bubble science ship, but gained the freakin' Voyager in exchange!

...Not sure if good trade or not :P

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2013, 09:13:22 pm »

Well voyager has magic science, so you probably have the better deal :D

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2013, 09:14:37 pm »

Yeah, but I still like the look of my bubble ship better. Even if it was weaker than Voyager :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2013, 09:18:32 pm »

I really need to read a guide to what is wrong with Star Trek Voyager

Because honestly I don't know what people hate about it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:19 pm »

People posted reasons in the thread, you know. Just because you don't agree with those reasons doesn't mean that those reasons are wrong.

I'm pretty neutral on Voyager myself. Never saw very much of it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread: Current Topic: Which is better? TOS or TNG
« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2013, 10:34:23 pm »

I know comic books and novels are non-canonical in Star Trek, but I am curious about them.  Are any of them any good, or even average?

Late to the discussion, but I quite liked Assimilation2.  (Look it up, if nobody else has already explained it.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2013, 10:49:44 pm »

People posted reasons in the thread, you know. Just because you don't agree with those reasons doesn't mean that those reasons are wrong.

No, I just don't agree with the specific examples people gave (for example the "No water replicator for the Kazons" makes sense given that the technology could easily be replicated for non-water)

As well you are overestimating how many reasons people put down and how specific they were. Heck, "I" put down more reasons to hate voyager then everyone else... and I like the show.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:13:37 pm by Neonivek »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2013, 11:17:41 pm »

Meant to build up some replies to things here.
TOS vs TNG?  Pre-Locutus Picard < Kirk < post-Locutus Picard, personally.  Other captains similarly vary, if that's the best way of comparing other series pairings.  (It isn't, but it's close.)
I also think Archer could have gotten far better.  (Although I kept on expecting him to go "Oh boy!", after each use of the fledgling Transporter...)

How about...Favorite Star Trek ship. Any species. Go.
Enterprise-E (I think) 'future' ship from All Good Things.  That or the NX01.  (I just like deliberately 'speculative' fast-forward/rewind designs.  In all kinds of fictional canons.)  The Defiant is in a class of its own, of course.

Beardless Riker was meant to be Kirk and frankly, it kinda shows that Kirk REALLY doesn't work as a side character.

My first impressions after seeing Encounter At Farpoint the very first time was along the lines of...

"They've taken the logic of Spock and put it into Data, they've taken his 'alieness' and put it into Worf...", and so on for every dissectable characteristic that I could transplant from TOS's crew into TNG's (initial) crew.  But then we are talking about Tropes here.

Even if the TOS-series writers weren't looking for the "smart one, the fighty one, the impetuous one", deliberately, and just happened on that combination as that old Space Wagon Train started to speed up, I'm betting that the writing staff of TNG were very familiar with the elements of narrative and character that they 'ought' to have.  And the whole thing about Trops is that there are 'Universals', that you ignore at your own risk.  (Although feel free to play with and subvert them, almost immediately after convincing the audience they know how they are...)

Ok, I'm steering this in a new direction. Why would you love/hate to be Spock.
He doesn't belong.  Half human, he can be looked down upon by Vulcans, whilst obviously he's just too Vulcan for most humans.  He fits into Starfleet because his quirks are no more extreme in their quirkiness than others.  (Oooh look, a black woman.  Ooh look, a Japanse man.  Ooh look, a Russian barely-more-than-a-kid.  And how about that (Canadian-)Scot, eh?)  By contemporary standards, that is. (Of the audience and, by inference, setting.)

So, being The Amazing Paris Spock would probably be Ok as long as I was on the Enterprise (or have become the all-powerful and somewhat quixotic Ambassador he later becomes) and could live up to my role.  And didn't take too much LDS.

And on the theme (literally?!) of Roddenbury...  Has anyone noticed the shared musical segment in the title credits of both Earth: Final Conflict and Angel (of Buffy fame)?  Must remember to see if there's someone with a musical credit in both series...  (Or else they've just picked up the same stock pseudo-Irish/pastoral sound from the library, and plugged it into the rest of the sequence.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2013, 06:21:40 pm »

The odd thing about Vulcans is that over time they stopped seeming like a society run off of logic and became a society of irrational pompous egomaniacs who only believed they were logical.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2013, 08:11:24 pm »

If you're going off of Enterprise's version of the Vulcans, then well... you really shouldn't.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26