Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 29608 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2013, 06:43:42 am »

He can't live with it, because he erases the entire log out of shame :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2013, 09:33:58 am »

Ok, I'm steering this in a new direction. Why would you love/hate to be Spock.

Well I guess there's two spocks: Vanilla Spock and NuSpock.

NuSpock is a mean, whiny, irascible, and generally emotionally unstable guy (for no apparent reason since the timeline change didn't seem to affect him that much, other than being younger).

Vanilla Spock is... OK I guess. I remember back in the old series people would usually enjoy the few episodes where he got high with spores/polywater/mindcontrol and thrashed everything. But it was a big deal since he was always so calm and collected.

Honestly, Sisko from DS9 is starting to grow on me. Maybe it's just the emotional vulnerability he gives away in the first few episodes, but he's the most human and relatable captain I've yet seen on Trek. He's not the paragon of Virtue and Hardassery that is Picard, nor the Showboating Man's Man that is Kirk. He's got a kid who he cares about, but isn't too great with. He's got both friendships and grudges with different members of his crew. He's got a position with a lot of responsibility that he takes seriously, but he isn't afraid to bend the rules when it's for the greater good. And he's got all the cunning and leadership a good captain needs to keep a space-city floating, out in the fringes of the Federation.

I mean, check out this monologue... So much character depth! So much intrigue! So much morally-grey territory! I especially love the part at the end. How Sisko repeats to himself "I can live with it," as though repeating it enough would make it true.

Chills, man.

I always liked Sisko, and in fact DS9 was probably my favorite, more than TNG. In general the characters there were a lot more quirky and less "federation lawful good".

Q after being socked by Sisko in the "boxing ring": "Waaahh you're no fun!"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:38:50 am by Sergius »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:05 am »

There's also 'AltSpock', the one that set-off the whole 'alternate universe' thing in DS9, and first appeared in one of TOS episodes, the one about quasi-Nazi terror regime.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2013, 02:07:07 pm »

It's called the Mirror Universe.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2013, 09:47:24 pm »

One of the coolest things about being Spock would be having an adorable sehlat as a pet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2013, 10:23:39 pm »

I've been showing the fiance Deep Space 9, and so far she only seems to like the comedy episodes. She seems to love Quark's antics.

Nothing wrong with this or anything; I just find it interesting.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2013, 12:45:15 am »

Well, your mileage may vary. I love me some tortured psyches and torn loyalties, and have a soft spot for scoundrels both lovable and otherwise. These both seem to be DS9's strong suit... Sisko, Kira, Quark, Garek, and Odo all have traces of both. Having a stationary (hurhur) setting, and one in a contested region, lets them do a lot more with long-term plots, different powers butting heads, and so on. There's such a mix of characters too... you get to see a lot more of the Trek universe that lies beyond Starfleet in DS9

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2013, 09:45:05 pm »

Just showed the fiance "The Maquis," the DS9 two parter in season two introducing the terrorist group.

Gul Dukat is now solidified as her favorite "serious" character, since he was the only one who wasn't acting like a moron. Quark's still her favorite overall though, of course.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2013, 01:50:32 am »

DS9 is without a doubt my favorite of the series. More than any of the others the characters seem very human (pardon the innacuracy). They're so fleshed out and well rounded as characters, even some of the old favorites that continue to show up.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

When I was younger (which actually isn't that long ago) I became a Star Trek fan because of Quark. I'd never seen any episodes prior, and I grew to enjoy the Ferengi species due to borrowing and reading a book that explained their..."Laws of Acquisition" I think they were called. After that I went to TNG and loved it to this day. DS9 has its moments - but I am a TNG fan all the way.
But when that particular scene from TOS Amok Time plays...  :D

Is there anybody here that shares my dislike for Voyager?
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:19 pm »

Most people dislike of Voyager

I personally love it to the extent that I actually don't understand people's complaints (except near the end... where even I noticed a TERRIBLE drop of quality. Dear goodness does it get stupid)

It would be harder to find people who really like Voyager.

Edit: What is wrong with my brain? I had to correct a LOT of huge mistakes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:19:33 pm by Neonivek »

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2013, 03:17:23 pm »

You mean this scene from Amok Time? :P

Also, I just finished watching "Little Green Men", definitely one of the best comedic episodes in Star Trek.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2013, 03:18:12 pm »

My mother liked Voyager.

* kaijyuu shrugs

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2013, 03:22:18 pm »

Also, I just finished watching "Little Green Men", definitely one of the best comedic episodes in Star Trek.

Honestly if there is one thing Startrek handles poorly in ALL versions of it... it is the idea of enhanced or weaker strength.

Data was somewhat consistant but that is about it.

Hey could you tell in that scene that Spock had super strength? Admittingly I think that episode happened before he shown any of it and the reasoning is easily that Spock is weakened.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2013, 03:24:46 pm »

My mother liked Voyager.

* kaijyuu shrugs

So does my mother...

:D

Took me a while to find it, but I found it (every time I play CSS and I get into a knife fight, guess what song plays in my head...)
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26