Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

STO: Good game or not?

Yes
No
Other

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Star Trek Discussion Thread  (Read 28508 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #360 on: May 28, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »

Yeah, it is.

<-- Not a Trekkie.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 28, 2013, 07:57:58 pm »

Oh, by the way, I once bought the 25th Anniversary MAD Magazine's Star Trek Special. I think they just compiled it from a lot of older magazines. It was kinda hilarious.

Anyway, have some scans here: http://mystartrekscrapbook.blogspot.com/search/label/Mad%20magazine

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 01, 2013, 01:25:41 pm »

<-- Not a Trekkie.

Of course not :P

Just finished 'In the Pale Moonlight', the one with Sisko's personal log. I have new favorite DS9 episode now.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »

* Haspen pokes the thread I:

I'm at DS9 final 9-episode-marathon-ending. I don't know who is responsible, but, god damn. 9 episodes of ending? Really?

I wonder how will Bashir's plot of 'let's lure Section 31 who have real cure with making fake news we have cure ourselves' work. I think it will be in the episode I'm gonna watch tonight.

Also, I laughed heartily when Damar welcomed Weyoun 8. Oh oh, and the line about talking again with Worf. Wonderful.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 20, 2013, 03:50:06 pm »

It would be nice to put spoilers in spoiler tags, wouldn't it?
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 21, 2013, 08:08:46 am »

Sorry :P

Well, just finished DS9. A nice ending to nice space opera. As far as the series go, though, my heart will remain with TNG and Picard (and others).

And I htink I will stop with Star Trek for now. I've seen TOS, TNG and DS9. I don't think I can get through VOY, considering it happens in Delta Quadrant (which means either Borg or everything new).

And ENT... Somehow I'm not interested in quirky, haphazardly constructed history classes :P
SigFlags!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 21, 2013, 08:29:23 am »

Voyager gets a lot of hate for a lot of reasons, some of it likely well deserved.  The borg do show up pretty frequently, but I think the bigger problem is that the writing is frequently considered low quality.  The warp 10 episode is often cited there.

I'm by far more familiar with TNG than any other series, but Voyager is probably the one I'm second most familiar with.  I'd definitely rank TNG as the best from my experience, but I keep trying to convince myself to watch DS9.  Some coworkers say it's at least as good as TNG.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 21, 2013, 08:47:37 am »

Where TNG excels in sci-fi and episode format, DS9 excels as war drama with story arcs (often lengthy). DS9 also gets few characters from TNG, so it's not entirely new cast.

Personally I will always recommend both.
SigFlags!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 21, 2013, 09:41:18 am »

Specifically, O'Brien (and Mrs.) was in the main cast of DS9 from the start, and Worf joined as a regular after the first movie (in other words, after the last episode of TNG).

Only other recurring guest stars that I can think of was the Klingon emperor-king guy, Whatshisname.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:38 am »

Chancellor Crazy Eyes! :P

(aka Gowron)
SigFlags!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:29 am »

Chancellor Crazy Eyes! :P

Finances!

Anyways, with Voyager I lost interest.  I couldn't really respect Janeway after she
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 21, 2013, 11:50:11 am »

I was just reading about a VOY episode where a species living in a world made of water in a containment field, that was using "oxygen mines" to extract oxygen from said water, and that this was somehow increasing the water density so the containment field emitter was automatically releasing water into space to keep itself from being crushed...

I'm pretty sure that chemistry doesn't work that way, that you can end with some sort of superdense "oxygen-less" water...

EDIT: It's not like there's some magic supertech process that does it in Trek, like modulating the modularity or rotating the frequencies of the water... especially since the real life process is as simple as it can be.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:00:52 pm by Sergius »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 21, 2013, 11:57:25 am »

I believe the point of that episode was to build Paris's character a bit. What he values and what would bring him to violate the prime directive.

Remember Star Trek will happily forego proper science to tell the story it wants. The oxygen thing was technobabble and could've been replaced with anything.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 21, 2013, 12:07:49 pm »

I agree they'll make up "science" on the spot to achieve the unachievable... but taking a well-known and simple process of applying electric current to water and watch it split into its component atoms strains credibility a lot. Plus the whole H2O turns into denser water by removing the O... wtf. I'm not even a chemist, all I have is basic high school chemistry knowledge.

I would have found more credible that merely by building metal structures underwater they were adding to the total mass of the "planet". Of course it would have to be a LOT of metal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:09:28 pm by Sergius »

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 22, 2013, 09:27:41 pm »

Voyager was probably the worst offender with altering science to fit the story. It strained the show's credibility a bit too far.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26