Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: ArmA 3  (Read 20324 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ArmA 3 Alpha
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2013, 06:51:34 am »

Is there anyone who still needs a key? Mine finally showed up.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2013, 07:02:48 am »

PM me if anyone wants a key I have 3 left for the lite version

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2013, 07:17:59 am »

Add me on Steam if you want the Lite keys.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2013, 07:22:43 am »

I have a feeling that these are the new Dota 2 keys. If each owner of Arma 3 has 3 keys and each of those recipients has 1 key, and in turn they each get another........

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2013, 07:31:25 am »

So how has ARMA III improved over the second title? I haven't gotten into the beta (or made a massive effort to) but I'm curious since ARMA II was both amazing and underwhelming at the same time (paradoxically).
I do hope that it has finally improved the "clunky" controls/interface that has plagued the series since Flashpoint.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:19 am »

The controls will always be "clunky" since it's a simulator and not a FPS, however, the animations are improved and the controls can now be bound as you see fit. New AI has not yet been put into the game and several other things such as the improved flight physics from Take On Helicopters also have not yet been imported but overall, it is an improvement. Mostly, I am impressed at how they seem so keen on giving modders anything that they might want or need to take this game even higher.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2013, 07:46:55 am »

The interface has been improved, too. Menus and stuff are apparently a fair bit less of a pain.
Nothing important here, move along.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2013, 08:30:02 am »

The controls will always be "clunky" since it's a simulator and not a FPS, however, the animations are improved and the controls can now be bound as you see fit.
Well, everyone seems to be saying this, but first of all, the controls were always bindable. However, I don't see any improvement in the animations and, frankly, it feels less like a simulator and more like an FPS, to me.

Also, I've still got a couple of keys, but I'm prioritizing giving them to people who are already on my friends list. If they've not moved by monday, then I'll give what's left to anyone here who doesn't have it already.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2013, 08:42:41 am »

It sort of is an FPS, but it's a sim, too. It's meant to be sort of a combination of both sides of the fold, making it attractive to those who like simulators without scaring away the more casual crowd who like to just shoot people. And it works pretty well, I think. Yeah, it could be better, but that's the point of the alpha.
Nothing important here, move along.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:31 am »

Well, the original Arma was really clunky, and while some people do like to say "the clunkier it is, the more realistic it is", I really don't find it as hard to move in real life as I do in Arma 2.

Yes, the movement is a bit more like a regular FPS, but that's only because they've made it not a major pain in the ass.

That said, the mousewheel menu is still there, but they've made efforts to make the interface a wee bit better, such as "g" to throw grenade and grenade throwing not being herpderp anymore.

So, movement is more fluid and more flexible in what you can do.

Other than that, at the moment I've mostly seen revamped graphics, which is not really what I wanted. Having tried to do a few missions, all my ideas get shot down by AI that is incapable of doing something as simple as dropping off a few troops. Heck, apparently it's hard as hell to get a mixed-vehicle convoy going in A2... and it's not changed so far in A3.

I get that the graphics could be better, and it's amazing that they're so much better without a huge impact on performance, but as a DF player, I value mechanics and features more than graphics. I loved it at start, now I'm starting to get anxious about whether or not they'll fix what I feel is more important.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 09:28:33 am »

Making the characters not move like tanks doesn't make this an 'action FPS.' The only real issue I have is that there's no real inertia to them. You can go from a sprint to standing almost instantly, and you can almost instantly go into a sprint from standing etc. I kinda liked how it was in Red Orchestra where you had to take a moment to stop your character, the problem was it kinda felt like you were sliding around constantly.

ARMA 3 has made the controls/movement less clunky, yes, but the characters still don't really have much 'mass' to them... I don't know how this would be fixed with the engine they're using, and I suspect it's going to stay.

As for the grenade throw, it could be improved even more. Hitting G to select grenade throwing mode, then using mousewheel to set throw power, or an ability to throw grenades from arms length in front of you to the side (so you can throw around corners) would be an improvement. Right now you can just spam G and be a mobile mortar battery. They have said that the current implementation is not the final thing, in fact this is still an alpha after all...

As for the graphics... yeah, Bi sort of did that with the move from ARMA to ARMA 2. They seemed to focus a little bit too much on improving the graphics than improving the feature set, which is a shame, but hopefully they will be working on even more optimization. Also, all the features they put into the ARMA 2 beta patch haven't been implemented into the ARMA 3 Alpha for whatever reason....

EDIT: As Dsylexci said, don't have any of your important movement keys set to a double-tap key. he describes in more detail here. The W+S combination for sprinting and using only 2 keys to change stance is genious.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:32:29 am by OzyTheSage »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 10:16:36 am »

Honestly, i'm kind of under the impression that the current foot movement speeds are only in for the alpha.
I hope they they're only in for the alpha...
Magma is overrated.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2013, 10:29:45 am »

If anybody is still giving out Alpha keys, I'd like one.  I want to see if it'll run on my computer, as well as if I like it.  If I like it and it runs, I'm planning on buying the full Alpha, and I'll hand out my keys here.

My Steam Profile

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2013, 12:39:48 pm »

Honestly, i'm kind of under the impression that the current foot movement speeds are only in for the alpha.
I hope they they're only in for the alpha...
I have my doubts, infantry movemenb has always been rather fast, likely due to the wide, open nature of most encounters. It really strts to show when you're in a battle in towns though. I forget the exact measurements but people basically move at olympic speeds on a regular basis. We shall see, however, if enough people speak up about it.

Edit: Dsylexci released something about paper doll gear mnu but I'm at work on iPod so I can't get you all the details
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:43:59 pm by OzyTheSage »

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2013, 02:42:14 pm »

Making the characters not move like tanks doesn't make this an 'action FPS.'
-snip-
ARMA 3 has made the controls/movement less clunky, yes-
Everyone keeps saying this, and I have yet to see it in the slightest.
ArmA 3 seems to be just as clunky as ArmA 2 did, except now it feels less realistic.
Movement transitions aren't any more fluid, but the new animations just seem like they're there to keep the guns in sight at all times to keep fps players happy.

As for the g for grenade thing... G was a terrible key bind for it, I think of anything, grenade is the only key almost everyone I know has rebound. That aside, now you can't put force behind your grenade throws, meaning that you can't control how far the grenade is going to go.

These improvements everyone is going on about still seem a long way off to me. Frankly I'll be happy with anything as soon as they fix the damned aiming dead zone. That's the deal breaker for me.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13