Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Warframe Prototype - Welcome to Hell, Beta Tester!  (Read 18620 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe Prototype - Welcome to Hell, Beta Tester!
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2013, 11:04:53 pm »

Yeah, that's why I like to stay on the edge of the fight. I have ways of boosting damage, and I'll be able to get my long-desired third weapon if I can get through this.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2013, 11:15:00 pm »

Boosting damage? I'm guessing your talking about alpha-striking. Or falling on someone, I guess, I don't see any other method of doing such for you.

Staying on the edge of the fight is still going to be a bother though, we got two people with all alltargeting rockets, so you're still going to get two rather deadly hits coming at you. Either way, best of luck.

EDIT: Not going to lie, if Fat Man survives this I'm going to try to get the red squealer reentry pod. Already have a space propulsion system, why not a reentry system? Get full on kitted for space combat.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:17:24 pm by Xanmyral »

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2013, 12:31:23 am »

Yeah, I've noticed that problem too. You could fire it, which could take out a lot of the competition, but that would leave you with a dinky pistol against what I will from now on call Nine ball. Do you want to take Nine Ball on with a pistol? Because I kind of doubt it would kill him, even with the atrocious damage that may or may not be done to it.

Your stuck in a situation of fire or don't fire. If you fire, it will undoubtedly piss off all the mech still alive, and there is assured to be a few left. If you don't fire, you can't do much else. While I dread saying this as it hurts my chances, your best bet might be saving it until the enemy mech is dead, or close to death. Its a bit of a Russian Roulette, with a bullet in every chamber but too many heads all around.

I personally think we should super focus on this new mech because its an unknown. To put it shortly, we won't know shit what it could do. It could be both super fast and have very heavy armor, which would make a large portion of us piss outta luck. It could be even more destructive than the Destroyer, if such a thing could be possible. It might be able to beat out Fat Man in a bass blasting contest for all I know. Simply put, we don't know anything about it, and that's dangerous. We know how dangerous the Destroyer is... But we don't know how dangerous the new guy is. Its a question between facing a machine gunner you know, or a sniper you don't know. Both are horrible, but one is in my opinion much worse.
Indeed. I'm imagining him as an actually mechs (instead of war frame) with about 20-30 HP. I'm planning on waiting until the end when almost everyone is dead so I can fire my salvo at him (if the other players would be willing to have that sort of alliance) so that I can get the maximum damage possible. Also, THE SPIRIT OF THE MOTHERLAND has been nerfed so that it can only deal 20 damage max, so that means that I can't fire it at the start since I would only do about 2-3 damage to every player.
For one, I will be still alive, and I have more weapons than you. Instead of armor I have a wide variety of death-cheating systems.
That's another reason why I'll wait until firing.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2013, 01:16:50 am »

Wasn't it always like that? I swore it was on an average before hand. Either way, it just means that with each average your chance of hitting anything beyond the average, which for a d20 is 10.5, becomes less and less likely. So you have a very good chance of hitting for at least eight to twelve damage, anything else though would either be due to phenomenal luck, or horrible luck.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2013, 02:43:42 am »

I generally think that you are all screwed considering 9-ball's history unless you all team up and murder the bastard.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2013, 08:35:10 am »

We can do that. I at least will be looking for a suitable partner in this. Preferably someone with good armor.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2013, 10:14:58 am »

Wasn't it always like that? I swore it was on an average before hand. Either way, it just means that with each average your chance of hitting anything beyond the average, which for a d20 is 10.5, becomes less and less likely. So you have a very good chance of hitting for at least eight to twelve damage, anything else though would either be due to phenomenal luck, or horrible luck.
Actually, with a single die (such as 1d20), there is an equal chance of doing 1 damage or 10.
Over 100 attacks, total damage is probably going to be closer to 1,050 than 100-200, but this doesn't help with predicting the damage of any one attack.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2013, 12:10:14 pm »

Of course a straight roll on a d20 would get you equal numbers of rolling any number, more or less as physical die often have imperfections, but what I was stating was more a rule of thumb when it comes to averages, not a single die roll. I only state it because his weapon is 4d20 Avg. Its simple a little thing that as you roll more dice, the chances of it being closer to the average becomes of a higher chance, its what the idea of bell curve or dice pool games work off of.

If it was just a d20, then he could hit for either one damage, or twenty damage, for either being of same or similar chances depending on the method of determining the number. As this is an average, of four dice no doubt, the chances of straying away into the deeper ends of the chances of rolling tend to shrink rather dramatically.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:15:04 pm by Xanmyral »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2013, 12:36:53 pm »

Yeah, he's an actual mech. No details about his fighting style yet, but I will tell you it won't matter how far away you are if you piss him off.  Seems like you guys have the right idea.

One of the attacks I was prototyping was 3d20 take best. It won't appear on this Nineball that purely, but you have an idea now of the power this thing can use. Not every attack will be that powerful, and it won't be able to use an attack like that every turn. I forsee a little weapon-theft of dead players, as well... Hint hint, killing the Nineball is an all or nothing thing. Going to let you stew over that for a bit, but any mechanics that apply to you apply to it.

HP might be around that, yeah. I haven't fully fleshed out it's stats, but they're mostly arbitrary: it's going to have an armor and HP value at the very least, and everything else is mostly handled without rolls because it would be too high for most people to dent it. The armor dosen't work the same, either. Hit an attack with 1 damage and the armor takes that damage.

You're looking at a behemoth with about 6 attacks and 2 supporting abilities, by the way. This mode is called Nine Ball in reference to another infamous Nineball... and no, it's not a Touhou reference. I think one of you got it right.

Since you'll adapt strategies the moment this thing comes out, I'll hint at two of the six weapons.

One is a hand-held weapon capable of damaging any number of you, so long as you're within a certain range. It's 2d8 damage for anyone involved.

Another weapon is the "all-range" one, that can get you no matter where you are. It's not visible until it uses it, either. It does 2d20 average on d8 targets. The damage is split equally among the targets.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2013, 12:40:47 pm »

Since it's so big, is it going to be painfully slow to react as one might expect?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2013, 01:10:28 pm »

Touhou? Whu? I was thinking of the red AI mech made of death and insane speed.

Also... Yeah, screw any plans on saving this guy for later, alpha strike him into the next century! Else we'll all be horribly, horribly dead.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2013, 01:31:02 pm »

You'd be correct in your assumptions, yeah. The "not a Touhou" refrence is thanks to an old meme, Cirno was labeled in some magazine with a nine in a circle, and her description was just "idiot". Therefore, Cirno=nine ball... It's lead to some interesting art when the two collide iirc.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2013, 05:18:53 am »

I cant wait until you discover the archangel pulverizer, that is when its AI isn't drunk.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »

Ah.

So... An actual mech. Well shit, this will be like a Madcat against Elementals, isn't it?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2013, 09:09:49 pm »

For accurate refrence, think your near-hardsuit Warframes versus not an ACV sized mecha, but one as big as the Armored Core:For Answer ones. Let's say you're about 2 units tall. An ACV mecha is about 5 units tall. The tallest of the AC:FA mecha reaches around 11-12 units tall.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13