Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210829 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2040 on: February 25, 2015, 05:16:01 am »

Having played some Super-Sim tank battles as both Germans and Americans (specifically, Tiger H, StuG G and PzIII M for Germans and M4A3(105) for Americans) I can honestly say that things feel... balanced? At least, as much so as it gets when you've got things as low as the 105 Sherman or the Panzer III versus tanks like the Panther or Pershing. I didn't feel particularly outclassed on either side, even with the 105 Sherman only really being effective with very accurate fire on a lot of the tanks it faced, and even with the Panzer III being seriously outgunned against 76 variants and the Pershing. The big boys might be tough and well-armed, but the little guys are fast on any terrain and good at slipping through peoples' attention spans.

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with how the game is right now. Though that may just be because Super-Sim is literally the best thing Gaijin's done in a long, long time.

This latest event is BS though. Allies have 2 Pershings, IS-2 and T-34-85s(up to BR 6.7, best tanks with 2 spawns) while the Germans have to do with Pz. IV H, Jadgpanzer IV and Tiger(BR 5.7 and 1 spawn). It doesnt help that unlikely in many previous events, this one seems to have the tiny maps in the rotation as well. Although Kursk/Mozdok or not, IS-2 and especially Pershing are vastly superior to everything. It doesnt help that Allies also have vastly better aircraft for ground support(conveniently Focke-Wulves don't get their historical loadouts).

The absolute sim mode event last week with lower rank tanks was fun and seemed well balanced though, IIRC best tanks for both sides were Sherman 76, T-34-57, SU-152 vs. Jg.Pz.IV/70, IVH. So Gaijin is fully capable of balancing things, they just repeatedly show the will to do that, just like with the latest patch...

----

On the latest patch: there seems to be a lot of stuff changed that hasnt been mentioned in the patch notes at all. AGAIN.

edit: Any way, back to that Absolute Simulation Event thingy. I've been driving the M16 quad-.50 cal halftrack there. So far I believe 10-12 games, 18 aircraft kills + many that collided with trees or were shot down by planes or other AA units after hurt by me, and not one single death to enemy aircraft. And not to lack of them not trying. It seems too easy to just drive perpendicular to the attack direction at 60 kmph while shooting the incoming plane. I feel the out-of-the-tank aiming and shooting needs to go too.  :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:20:50 am by Erkki »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: February 25, 2015, 05:16:42 pm »

The 'Tiger' Pershing's getting a BR adjustment, and I'd make a bet that the other Pershing might get one, too.

I suppose I may have just been having some lucky games where I didn't get stacked against ridiculous enemies, but thus far, I've been having a lot of fun. Just being able to flank around without getting spotted can make a world of difference.

The only thing that's really caused me to get frustrated so far is the side armor on the Jagdpanzer IV. For some reason, the top part of the side is basically autobounce plate that stops pretty much all shell types dead in its tracks despite being only 30mm of poorly-sloped armor. Thus far, the only way I've even figured out how to kill them is to either shoot inside the track well and hope you don't hit the tracks or wheels or get all the way around to the back and hope you can set them ablaze three times in a row. Though, to be fair, that's been a problem for a lot longer than the recent patch and game mode.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: February 25, 2015, 05:37:29 pm »

The tiger was never balanced. As far as i'm concerned it's the worst tank i ever played in WT.
As in i literally liked the long gun Pz3 a lot more than i like the Tiger.

Also i learned that the IS-2 can just use HE ammo and be almost as effective as one using AP.

I oneshot a tiger 2 in the training room. Once i get a IS-2 i will try a full HE loadout for the heck of it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: February 25, 2015, 05:45:32 pm »

Also i learned that the IS-2 can just use HE ammo and be almost as effective as one using AP.

Really ? I thought HE ammo didn't penetrated anything ?

But glorious soviet tanks...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: February 25, 2015, 05:58:13 pm »

HE ammo is pretty much dependent on being chock-full of explosives. The amount of explosive in the shell goes up sort-of exponentially with the caliber, since the shell gets bigger in three dimensions and you're only measuring one.

75mm HE shells are completely useless against most tanks' armor. 88mm can actually really hurt some lighter tanks. 105mm can put a decent hurting on even the Tiger if it lands in the right spot. 122mm can cause massive spalling on even some of the most heavily armored tanks. 152mm is deadly almost no matter where you hit.

As for the Tiger not being balanced, it's pretty much impossible to balance a tank that was, historically, either incredibly dangerous to all the opponents it faced, like when it was first introduced, or completely outclassed by the tanks that came later, tanks specifically designed to beat it. From what I've played, both with and against the Tiger, Gaijin have done as good a job with how it's balanced as they could manage, given the limitations of the BR system that they can't seem to fix and the constant underperformance of the matchmaking system. The Me 262 is in a similar predicament, being notably better than most propeller-driven aircraft while being incapable compared to even early American and Soviet jets.
Nothing important here, move along.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: February 25, 2015, 06:10:09 pm »

I think Tiger is mostly fine where it is now against the typical historical opponents(which is what it faces lot of the time, EXCEPT 75 mm Sherman thanks to Gaijin). Fighting against one isnt all hopeless, and a good player can make it very fearsome on an open map. However, as it is in the game, the Sherman Jumbo with 76 mm gun at the same BR does pretty much everything even better(especially its own armor that is very close to 100% frontally invulnerable to 88mm L/56 at all ranges) and on the top of it all it, unlike Tiger, has 2 spawns in simulation mode.

The Jumbo + many BR 6.0 to 6.7 tanks have absolutely no issues in penetrating the Tiger up to 1500 m or so. Probably Bulldog and Pershing should be a step higher. Perhaps it just faces too many tanks at least partially specifically designed to counter heavy German armor that club it more than what it faces out of its historical prey(76 mm T-34 and 75 mm Shermans that it doesnt face at all).

I just drove the Tiger first time in weeks, full sim event. Came out with 9 kills(IIRC KV-1, T-34-57, Chaffee, IS-1, T-34-85, T-34-85, Sherman 76, Sherman 76 and a Chaffee), some AI kills and survived about 5 air attacks.  :)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:54 pm »

Actually WT does NOT model spalling in. At least not with pure HE shells (there is some spalling if you use AP shells tho).

Instead it looks for armor weak enough to be penetrated by the shrapnel (around 70-75 mm for a 152 mm shell) so if you hit a tiger 2 ot JTiger in the side NOTHING will happen because it's all 80 mm armor with no weaker spots anywhere near. However if you hit the turret front/superstructure the shrapnel will penetrate the top armor and usually kill both the driver and radioman.
The driver will be replaced by another crewman and at this point another shot will usually "destroy" the enemy tank since it no longer has enough crew to operate.

Also noteworthy but less practical are larger HE shells landing under tanks. Those tend to be instant kills as the shrapnel usually goes through the floor killing most crew outright destroying the transmission and detonating any ammoracks nearby.

As for the tiger.
I really don't mind being wrecked by higher tier enemy tanks. Got no problem with that.
But i really hate the fact the IS and Jumbo are  at the same tier.
You see both are flatout better than the tiger.
The jumbo is obviously OP while the IS is less... but still a pain.

The frontal hull armor on the IS is immune to tiger shells at over 300-400 meters and the turret while penetrateable from 1000 meters away is well rounded and you have to hit the cheeks or turret ring to do anything and that's almost pure luck at longer ranges.

And the jumbo... well frontally it's completely immune... however at least the IS had the luck to get a APCR shell that can penetrate it up close. Tigers can only shoot the MG port and hope for the best.
Self promotion below.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:19 pm »

alright, time for some drunk thunder. Well, minor drunk thunder considering I am only slightly buzzed.

Japanese RB. New Guinea (I like this map). A6M2 mod 11. Will post to see how it goes.

Edit: battle 1, fought a bit, dogfought airacobra, put him smoking, retreated towards his airfield.

Then he went back to the airfield, he was the last one so I strafed him. not much damage.

Then promptly got set on fire by AAA, and then rammed him on the runway.

feeling about that battle: honorabru/10, got no kills... not a problem  :)

Edit 2: second battle, more new guinea, did mostly nothing, went back to base, tag teamed by a bf109 and a cobra. go fuck yourselves.

Edit 3: third battle, midway (new for me), dogfought a bit with a p47, damaged him a tiny bit then I got baited by diving. When I dove and realized i was diving too fast it was too late  :-\ herp derp
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:12:11 pm by Naryar »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: February 27, 2015, 03:59:05 am »

Am I the only one who really dislikes the new item things?

They replaced the consistency of the daily bonus with something akin to gambling that forces you to come back every god damn day if you don't want to miss out on a single potential bonus that may or may not be negligible. With the daily doubles you could easily play one day to collect it then leave and not play for a week and do the same thing again.

This reeks entirely too much of shitty mechanics to keep people playing and I really dislike when devs do that shit.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: February 27, 2015, 04:36:57 am »

Am I the only one who really dislikes the new item things?

They replaced the consistency of the daily bonus with something akin to gambling that forces you to come back every god damn day if you don't want to miss out on a single potential bonus that may or may not be negligible. With the daily doubles you could easily play one day to collect it then leave and not play for a week and do the same thing again.

This reeks entirely too much of shitty mechanics to keep people playing and I really dislike when devs do that shit.

I hate them too. Besides, the random item chests that can be bought with golden eagles... I thought WT was rated PG 13 and gambling is legal for adults only?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: February 27, 2015, 05:19:19 am »

I've got two +10% boosters for 20 missions and a +300% booster for one mission.

Overall better than the x2. Unless you play several nations a day, in that case it is noticeably worse.

I wonder what is on the huge chests ? If I get several hundred golden eagles a month, it's worth it. 100k lions is nice considering how much I use money on my tier III/early tier IV Germans.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: February 28, 2015, 01:42:30 pm »

Stuka V2: Electric Bogaloo B7A2 get.

Now I need to get the cannon Hayabusa and probably the cannon Hien (japanese mineshells ahahaha) for a good tier III japanese lineup. Zeroes are nice, but hayabusa should fulfill all my Zero needs.

Edit: Apparently the ki-61 hei is vastly overtiered and hasn't enough engine power... anyone knows more about that ?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:05:08 pm by Naryar »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: February 28, 2015, 07:59:22 pm »

Woo...did the FB quiz thing (now Gaijin can sell my identity to Russian hackers) and got my 7 wins....all for a He112 B-1/U-2 and a LaGG-2-23. And 50k lions, which is kinda useful. Almost got enough lions and XP to get a Tiger tank.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: February 28, 2015, 08:43:49 pm »

So i got a thunderer wager and a "Kill 10 planes" mission in my care package.
I gleefully accepted the first one and laughed at the other.

Last game:
30 ground kills.
0 plane kills.

Entire match spent shooting and bombing trucks.
I'm such a great addition to every team i'm in now because thunderer/antimech cares not if you win or not. it cares about your "1337 skillz at bagging ground killzz."
Self promotion below.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: February 28, 2015, 09:41:30 pm »

I get so irritated because I die so fast...every time I get clipped by any sort of hit it takes a wing off or whatever...yet I can hit an enemy many times without even getting a critical hit...even when I have cannons
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 163