Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210856 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #2010 on: February 21, 2015, 11:44:44 pm »

Some Warthunder footage in a t-28, (tier 1)

Some of the best fun is to be had at the lower tiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOFJ4t1-eMc

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: February 22, 2015, 08:47:51 am »

@Erkki @Solinrain

Noticed the same thing- ammoracks seem to be made of addy when shooting AP/APHE/APCR from german peashooters. It actually is same in test drive and with 88s, meaning you'd need crazy luck to kill another player with ammorack detonation since player's modules are more durable than ai (no !!science!! here, just empiric observation).

Thanks for the tips on 34 issue, currently I've dropped my german lineup back to lower T1 in order to lessen the frustration :) Gonna try bypassing all the short 75 IVs with almost reserve lineup. The constant ammoracking and fuel dets after using extinguishers when trying to get to knife-fight range in order to pen 34 with lousy guns seems to get badly on my nerves, can't play drunk thunder everyday anyhow. It'd be less an issue if the 34 wouldn't be so ridiculously manouverable that it's piss-poor turret traverse isn't really a problem.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: February 22, 2015, 11:20:55 am »

@Erkki @Solinrain

Noticed the same thing- ammoracks seem to be made of addy when shooting AP/APHE/APCR from german peashooters. It actually is same in test drive and with 88s, meaning you'd need crazy luck to kill another player with ammorack detonation since player's modules are more durable than ai (no !!science!! here, just empiric observation).

Thanks for the tips on 34 issue, currently I've dropped my german lineup back to lower T1 in order to lessen the frustration :) Gonna try bypassing all the short 75 IVs with almost reserve lineup. The constant ammoracking and fuel dets after using extinguishers when trying to get to knife-fight range in order to pen 34 with lousy guns seems to get badly on my nerves, can't play drunk thunder everyday anyhow. It'd be less an issue if the 34 wouldn't be so ridiculously manouverable that it's piss-poor turret traverse isn't really a problem.

Yeah, it may be better to skip those tanks completely or at least play them in arcade where its easier and teams are always mixed.

Once you get to Pz. IV F2 and to Pz. III J1(with fast turret and long 5 cm L/60) and beyond it'll get easier, they are better or on-par with most opponents(you dont want to know about the silly OP 76 mm Jumbo Sherman or the Bulldog yet!). Out of my German tanks played simulation mode I seem to have the best kill/death ratios in Tiger, Panther D and A, Pz. IV F2, H and G, Pz. III M and L and the StuG III G: from 2.1 to Tiger's 3.25 and on average 2.6 despite the fact that most of their battles have been fought without majority of modules. In fact, few have been played after unlocking them and Tiger and Panther still arent fully equipped. I think they can score 3:1 when they actually have fire extinguishers equipped.  :)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: February 23, 2015, 02:44:55 pm »

So tell me, how do you kill a T34 at an average BR of 1.7 ? They're mostly invulnerable and they pen me all day erry day.

Also got a gladiator MkIIS. It's shitty, but I did it for the money. having 600K lions is nice.

Too bad 2/3rds of that will disappear when i get the B6/R4 in a few battles.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: February 23, 2015, 02:49:34 pm »

Flank the bastard, use a T-50, arty the bastard, bomb the bastard, or aim for the weak points.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: February 23, 2015, 02:54:19 pm »

LOL, I'm mostly grinding my way through the Tier II German stuff with my Wirbelwind.

I think my current German lineup is:
Panzer III M
Panzer IV F2 (maxed out)
Wirbelwind
StuG III G

Ju87 G-2 (to pump 37mm rounds through the roof a heavy tank..also surprisingly effective against airborne targets in RB when there's not a sawrm of fighters to worry about)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: February 23, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »

So tell me, how do you kill a T34 at an average BR of 1.7 ? They're mostly invulnerable and they pen me all day erry day.

Also got a gladiator MkIIS. It's shitty, but I did it for the money. having 600K lions is nice.

T-34 with the early German tanks? You dont.  ::)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: February 23, 2015, 03:52:09 pm »

I know that the short-barreled 75mm guns could turn T-34s into firecrackers if you hit them in the side with HEAT. Aim just below and behind the turret ring and you get an automatic ammo rack.

At least, that used to be the case. I don't know what kind of damage changes have been made to HEAT vs. ammo.
Nothing important here, move along.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: February 23, 2015, 04:15:20 pm »

And there's the same problem with Panzer IV F's (at least I think it's the F variant). I can't do anything.

Also t34 has exactly the same damn armor everywhere. Flanking or taking it by the rear should be useless.

Hopefully I'm going to get the StuG III F in a few battles and THEN fun will be had.

Speaking of tier II germany, what should I aim for ? Apart from the 37mm Flak, the Stug and the PzIV F2, maybe the PzIII L ?
It looks fast and may be good for this charge flank thing them light tanks do against my PzIVC.

Kinda like them BT-7 cavalry tank sports car.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:19:46 pm by Naryar »

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: February 23, 2015, 04:23:41 pm »

Yeah, well, I _think_ I managed to APCR one dead from side with first PzIII, landing the shot in between roadwheels, and with about tank-height elevation _might_ allow short 75 AP to pen hull from close range. Needs some 2-3 friendlies to catch it's attention, and you getting about so close your commander might as well hit it with his cavalry sabre. US have easier than germans, due being fast(er) and manouverable, lessening the one hit kill chance. So, basically my way was - don't get in front of it, wait for distraction, swift flank and pray that he doesn't have backup around. And spam arty.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: February 23, 2015, 04:24:45 pm »

The Pz3L is pretty damn nice, atleast it used to be, partly because it has stupidly high reward so it makes money easily. The 50mm is a needlegun of sorts, you'll need several shots to kill anything but the rof makes that happen easily. Plus it's suprisingly sturdy for something so nimble.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: February 23, 2015, 04:31:20 pm »

Also t34 has exactly the same damn armor everywhere. Flanking or taking it by the rear should be useless.
Getting behind makes it easier to get above it without death, whereupon you can shoot the engine deco or top of the turret.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:13 pm »

Early T-34s have nearly the same armor on all sides, yes, but the sides have a much lesser slope, and the back has no sloping at all. Most of the protection the front affords is that the sloping makes most shells bounce off instead of penetrating. The sides and rear are far easier to penetrate assuming your gun actually has the necessary power.

If your tank's too weak, though, you're pretty much fucked either way. I thought they fixed the shitty BR down at that level, though...
Nothing important here, move along.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: February 24, 2015, 04:49:09 am »

Unfortunately those hollow charge grenades used by early Pz IVs are ineffective. It can take over 10 penetrations in crew compartment to kill a Stuart or even an M2... The hit creates just a couple of fragments from the hit point that wound crew members nearby. Its very rare to kill a tank with just a hit or two, let alone a Sherman with the IV E or F1... :-\

edit: AP ammo works but the penetration values are low. Just as difficult to achieve anything with them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:52:03 am by Erkki »

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: February 24, 2015, 05:17:23 am »

DL:ing 1.47 now. Shell changes are promised, for instance- HEAT ammorack or fuel tank hit ought to have pretty good (90-95%) chance to effect detonation or fire. We'll see.

Btw, HEAT rnds for short 75 aren't totally useless IMO, the aiming's just tricky due to more chance of bounce from slope, and the short 75s shitty velocity.

Edit; okay, nvm. The game kicks me back to login screen when it loads up to the hangar screen... 2 much traffic maybe?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:20:11 am by Ant »
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 163