Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210928 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #1905 on: February 01, 2015, 06:28:03 pm »

Thats the MG. MGs are good for eating your tracks and suspensions, and occasionally optics.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: February 02, 2015, 12:21:51 am »

Had a Break match where my StuG G got taken out fairly early by a 105mm Sherman. Respawned as a SdKfz 6/2 just after we lost our first point, and noticed there was sort of a guard tower complex on the second point, so I just parked there behind a wall and waited. Both teams were slugging it out and attritting, and that same 105 Sherman was eating most of my team for breakfast. Finally, he comes rolling past and starts to cap our point. I zoom out from around my wall and lay into his rear with my 37mm, and start hitting the radiator and fuel tanks like crazy. He starts chasing me with his turret, forcing me towards his front side (which I can't pen) and putting out the fires I started. Then a 72-Gaz from my team pulls the same stunt and he starts chasing THAT guy with his turret *and* calls down artillery basically on top of himself. While he's chasing the Gaz, I swing back around him again and start laying into the rear of the Sherman and start yet another fire. His ammo cooks off, I get the kill, his artillery arrives and kills the 72-Gaz but I'm just out of range and survive to recap our point just as one of our tanks sneaks into their point and caps it.

And that's how a pair of insane AA gunners saved the day. Which is good, because the SdKfz 6/2 blows goats as an AA gun. Planes can literally fly between your shots with that low ROF.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: February 02, 2015, 03:08:52 am »

Isn't 37mm enough to break the 105 cannon?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 02, 2015, 09:39:58 am »

Might be, but I couldn't get a clean shot at it. With a howitzer shell, he doesn't even have to hit me directly to take out an unarmored SPAA. So I was busy scooting like crazy and kiting him. Probably would have failed had it not been for the second SPAA joining in. I would love to have seen the player's reaction when that happened.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: February 02, 2015, 09:46:43 am »

"Why the [expletive] hell is there ANOTHER [expletive] one joining the [expletive] in?!'
Highly Opinionated Fool

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: February 02, 2015, 10:45:31 am »

SPAA's pretty fucking good at harassment, if nothing else. Especially the American AA, .50 cal guns can't really hurt unless they get into a lucky position, but they can wreck mobility and their constant streams of fire can actually blind enemies just from all the smoke.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 02, 2015, 10:58:06 am »

SPAA with autocannons can also wreck tanks rather well, even if they are squishy.

In other news, close air support can be an issue if all your team is sitting in the spot where the bombs that where dropped 30 seconds before will land.

In not totally unrelated news, Warthunder kicks anyone who amasses 3 team kills.

Frickin light tanks camping enemy spawn zones...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: February 02, 2015, 11:01:59 am »

Btw, out of the SPAAs, the Soviet ZSU-37(the first one) looks pretty good. It should be able to penetrate all German tanks except Tiger's side armor up to 1 km or so within its BR bracket of 3,7 to 5,7, and even front armor of Pz III M/L(unless they angled) and turret front of the Pz IVs. At short range out of the opponents is faces, it can consistently frontally pen probably everything but the Tiger, Panther and Jg.Pz. IV/70.

That 37 mm gun's HVAP-T ammo has penetration of 95 mm at a hundred meters and 59 mm at 1000 meters. 160 shots a minute.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: February 02, 2015, 11:09:01 am »

SPAA's pretty fucking good at harassment, if nothing else. Especially the American AA, .50 cal guns can't really hurt unless they get into a lucky position, but they can wreck mobility and their constant streams of fire can actually blind enemies just from all the smoke.

Not to mention causing crashes and FPS drops on weaker PCs.
Sounds like a legit tactic.

Also played my russian tier 2 AA stalintruck... and i have no freaking clue how to hit aircraft with it even in arcade.
The magic circle is not helping one bit no matter what i try (usually i tend to aim a bit beyond the circle) but on the AA truck i just completely fail to get any hits in. Hilarously i think i actually shot down more aircraft with a PZ3 and T-60.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 02, 2015, 11:10:51 am »

Match up the magic circles, and load with anything that has "fragmentation" or "incendiary" in the name.

Keep some high-penn rounds in storage for tanks.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 02, 2015, 01:28:56 pm »

It's hilarious that SPAA's are actually used in ground combat to flank/ rear penetrate (oh wow that sounded freudian) tanks and attack weak points. If I play more tanks I know what i'm going to troll with.

I suppose that only the Flakpanzer I, the Ostwind, the Kugelblitz (maaaybe, i've killed medium tanks with my HVAP mk103 on my Duck but heavies were a no) and the Coelian are worthy tanks at their levels.

Though they all look pretty good. I'm not THAT interested in tanks but I want them all :P

Match up the magic circles, and load with anything that has "fragmentation" or "incendiary" in the name.

Keep some high-penn rounds in storage for tanks.

You forgot "high explosive"

heh most anti-air shells are HEFI or any combination of anyway. IIRC the german ones are HEI but mine shells mine shells mine shells
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:32:41 pm by Naryar »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 03, 2015, 12:01:06 am »

Fuck Gaijin, and fuck German tanks. That's it. I'm done with this bullshit game.

It is no way fair or fun to bring in my Tier II Soviet or US lineup and be facing TWELVE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING TIGERS. Why even have a match? Just give the German players the RP and lions every two minutes or so and save us all the time and trouble.

I've had it. Until they start implementing some kind of realistic limit on a team's force composition (and I don't know how they can), I'm not playing. Getting assraped by tanks which I can't penetrate if I had my cannon shoved up their fucking tailpipe, is not my idea of recreation.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 03, 2015, 12:26:17 am »

I havent seen one tiger... Ever.

And I am about to start researching tier 3 tanks.

However, I have seen KV-2s alongside reserve tanks. Not positive if the reserve tank driver had a messed up lineup or if it was a goof on the scale that RedKing is dealing with.

Also, Red, what mode? If some idiots have been, well, idiots in tigers their battlerating may have lowered to compensate for stupid.
Highly Opinionated Fool

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 03, 2015, 01:32:27 am »

RB. That's mostly all I play for Ground Forces, though I'll occasionally do an event.

I see Tigers pretty much every damn match, often several at a time. I don't see how anyone CAN be an idiot in a Tiger. They're like easy mode for tanks. Nobody can penetrate your armor unless they're 100m or less (and even then only if they have a decently large gun and good shell placement), and you can one-shot most US and Soviet opposition from clear across the map.

I just don't fathom how the Tiger is considered an upper Tier II. It's easily the equivalent of an IS-1, which is lower Tier III. And the US frankly just doesn't have an equivalent until the Pershing, which is way later.

I want to see limits on team composition to reflect the sort of tanks that were actually used. The Germans didn't have waves of Tigers all over Europe. They fought with mostly Panzer IIIs and IVs, and later on some Vs and a relatively small number of VIs. And literally a handful of Tiger IIs and the like. Or they should jack up the point cost high enough that you can't start with one, but have to "unlock" it, the way it is with aircraft. Allowing the entire enemy team to start with Tigers if they want pretty much kills any hope of game balance. A single Tiger, you might be able to flank, disable and bring down with coordinated fire. But when you're facing a dozen of them and you're still fielding less than a 75mm gun, it's basically "Return to Hangar" time.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 03, 2015, 02:24:40 am »

If the matchmakeing system is the same as the one they have for aircraft, that shouldent be possible.

German tier twos, at the least, ar atleast two points below the first tigers battle rating...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 163