Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 163

Author Topic: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.  (Read 210892 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: War Thunder. Casual Dogfighting MMO.
« Reply #645 on: December 02, 2013, 03:27:54 pm »

Nothing wrong with leveling ground crew, especially if your landings usually result in broken bits. The faster you get back up in the air, the better.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:38 pm »

Yeah, ground crew skills are pretty great all around. Weapon maintenance is always good regardless of mode, reload speed is essential for arcade and a minor benefit in other modes, and repair speed is just amazing. I'm not sure exactly how repair speed works, but I have noticed that it decreases the time it takes for your planes to repair between battles; I think it's a percentage reduction rather than a flat reduction in time. Incidentally I'm almost certain that post-battle repair times are also variable based on how damaged the plane was.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 02, 2013, 06:24:21 pm »

Post-battle repair times are definitely variable. In fact, I think jumping out before a plane hits the ground counts toward reducing repair time, given my experiences.

I don't know if the 'repair rank' is actually implemented, though. Like experienced gunners, it's frustratingly expensive to level, so I haven't bothered really experimenting with it.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 02, 2013, 06:28:47 pm »

I think it might be, since I couldn't get my plane to repair the first time I landed in a battle with a busted engine (I got the bail timer after a few seconds), on that African map. After I noticed the skill and what it did (and levelled it afterwards) I've successfuly repaired my planes on a few occasions using airstrips (one time I even crashed right before the airstrip (engine died a kilometer or so away so I tried to drift to the airstrip somehow, nearly made it) and could still fix the damn thing).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 02, 2013, 07:05:01 pm »

Bailing out reduces repair time, becouse there also is a "heal" time of sorts, that adds to the down time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 02, 2013, 07:09:27 pm »

I can confirm that repair rank does also reduce your time to repair.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 03, 2013, 12:20:15 am »

From my understanding, repair skill only helps if the damaged plane is at or below their repair rank (i.e. if your crew is rank 5 and the plane is tier 6, it doesn't help).

It does help considerably once you level up (although it's expensive as Hades to keep up with your plane tiers).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 03, 2013, 01:26:16 am »

I'm nearly certain that it still has a lower effect if your repair rank is below the tier of the plane. It's really, really obtuse.

3. Run Resize Enable

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 03, 2013, 02:48:11 am »

I'm probably going to change to Do219 J-1 to Do219 N-1 because it has bombs, and so I have 2 fighter-bombers. Does anyone have any experience with that plane ?

Also changing from Bf 109 E-3 to Bf 109 F-4. I mean, it has no firepower whatsoever at level 7.

Also, I've had excellent experience with fighter-bombers. You get good xp for bombing or shooting planes down, bomb load weight isn't a problem when you can drop them with 1min reload time (drop them if you're boom and zooming or need to climb a lot).

Also, Bf109 bombs are the mother of all traps. No xp, lots of weight on a light fighter. Don't buy them.

Wondering if the Focke-Wulf series IS a good fighter/bomber as well. Won't be for now, but well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:57:08 am by Naryar »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 03, 2013, 04:27:51 am »

Why can't we have PTAB in game? Can you imagine the total havoc an Il-2 would do with 280 bombs that can still destroy armor on a direct hit?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 03, 2013, 05:32:39 am »

Why can't we have PTAB in game? Can you imagine the total havoc an Il-2 would do with 280 bombs that can still destroy armor on a direct hit?

>implying Russia isn't already overpowered

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 03, 2013, 10:02:22 am »

Well in my opinion, this game do need bigger bombs.
And with bombs I mean A-bombs.
OP or not, I want to drop weapons of mass destruction.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 03, 2013, 10:26:29 am »

I also want A-bombs, if however they make the cost of an A-bomb very, very high (like 100000 silver lions a bomb or even more) and if they made so the planes carrying an A-bomb are highlighted and visible to everyone on the HUD, anywhere on the map. Also, make it so all nations can access it.

Seriously, trolling in Catalinas or Stukas or Me282's is already fun, but trolling in B29's should be even more fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 03, 2013, 10:31:39 am »

So the Ground Forces HQ mission of the day is 40/8/4 kills with biplanes. All glory to the motherland!

3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 03, 2013, 10:51:55 am »

I'm probably going to change to Do219 J-1 to Do219 N-1 because it has bombs, and so I have 2 fighter-bombers. Does anyone have any experience with that plane ?

Also changing from Bf 109 E-3 to Bf 109 F-4. I mean, it has no firepower whatsoever at level 7.

Also, I've had excellent experience with fighter-bombers. You get good xp for bombing or shooting planes down, bomb load weight isn't a problem when you can drop them with 1min reload time (drop them if you're boom and zooming or need to climb a lot).

Also, Bf109 bombs are the mother of all traps. No xp, lots of weight on a light fighter. Don't buy them.

Wondering if the Focke-Wulf series IS a good fighter/bomber as well. Won't be for now, but well.

The Do217s are almost all identical except for weapon loadout, so just pick what suits your playstyle best.

Bf-109 E-3 is tier 6 and F-4 is tier 8. They're both decent fighters, although the F-4 planes are amazingly good when you unlock the underwing cannons. Their bombs aren't all that bad. I'd never use them in normal circumstances, but there have been a few times when the score was close and a bomb needed to be on a target and it needed to be there fast. Bf-109 with a bomb  is pretty good at that task as long as the number of targets that need to be hit isn't too large. Normal use? No. End of game decisive player? Definitely.

Fighter-Bombers can be good, but never as good as dedicated bombers as far as XP is concerned. You're going to get outflown by true fighters and outbombed by true bombers. Still, they have their uses and once you drop your bombs you're not a complete sitting duck for the next minute.

Even if we had the period planes which could carry them, which we don't, I doubt it'll happen. It just doesn't fit with the style or intent of the game and honestly, it's a bit on the crude side to suggest it'd be a good thing to add. It's one thing to use them in a fictional setting, although I'd still say it's a bit crude there as well, but the Michael Bays of the world would fight me tooth and nail. It's another thing completely to reenact an instance of mass civilian murder that actually did happen. It could be done tastefully, but not within the confines of this game and it's completely out of the scope of the idea of fair and competitive combat.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 163